Creature — Plant Hydra
When you cast Genesis Hydra, reveal the top X cards of your library. You may put a nonland permanent card with converted mana cost X or less from among them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle the rest into your library.
Genesis Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
|Have (3)||VioVoid , metalmagic , GeminiSpartanX|
|Want (7)||Thesurcharge , stride , xnewnoisex33 , MineMagic , GARlockSpiral , nafgan , Nileoc|
Printings View all
|Commander 2020 (C20)||Rare|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Genesis Hydra occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
Genesis Hydra Discussion
4 days ago
Balaam__ I understand how Nykthos works, lol, I’m saying that without a huge payoff it’s really not worth it. What’re you going to do with 12 mana from Nykthos? If you’re making that much mana you’re more than likely winning anyways.
My point is if your opener is 2 lands, relentless dead, ayara, gifted aetherborn and 2 other cards, if one of those lands is Nykthos you’re gonna have a bad day.
Without a good payoff like a huge Genesis Hydra back in old standard, Nykthos is lame, it could potentially hurt you instead of helping, and with Mutavault, you need all the black sources you can get.
1 week ago
I am absolutely delighted by your comment and I am very honored to know it's your first deck. Thank you so much!!! <3
1) Kogla, the Titan Ape + Hyrax Tower Scout are absolutely perfect replacements, also opens lines up with Eternal Witness for Benefactor's Draught/Vitalize/Touch of Vitae (I'll address this one dw). I wouldn't say slower, since we can actually tutor it whereas Cloudstone Curio has to be drawn or topped off with Genesis Hydra.
2) Heartwood Storyteller has been quite the critical piece, however, I can see it being replaced by Ohran Frostfang, though I were leaning a little into the top-heavy side with this build. I hope your meta isn't too fast as this deck falls by the wayside in T4 metas. As for Touch of Vitae, this is a bit of a lynchpin of sorts as haste the MAIN reason we run it, it ensures that the dork we brought out can actually be used and to win... with an untap. I wouldn't compromise on this card, if it's too difficult for you to obtain add my discord I might be able to help you out. (Inkmoth#4507)
3) Glademuse should be played:
- When you can guarantee 1-2 draws on the rotation you drop it,
- Early on, as most decks are in set up.
- Outlet; try to seal your loops with Prowling Serpopard or bouncing the muse if better outlet achieved
- This one applies to Heartwood Storyteller as well: right before a combo player is going to try to win. i.e resp to Ad Nauseam. We want to give our opponents cards in these situations. The more of the deck we see the easier it becomes to set up lines.
- This is more of practice makes perfect bullet, but the MORE your familiarize yourself with the deck you'll see how giving your opponents cards is meaningless if you can win on top of their wincons. So if you see a line don't jam it out, just wait till the last possible moment.
On discord I would be more than happy to discuss your meta to better assess Glademuse timing
- Castle Garenbrig: Run it, doesn't hurt. I'll slot it in! Thank you! :)
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate: Same reason we don't run Vizier of the Menagerie, except it costs 5, it's sorc speed, it's random and we don't manipulate the top of the deck too much.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed: I love it, haven't found a slot for it though. Maybe if Glademuse is that much of an issue this can be your outlet... though drawing is substantially stronger.
3 weeks ago
I don't play any eldrazi myself, but their power is undeniable in ramp strategies. If you'd like some finishers that aren't those colourless imbeciles:
Genesis Wave floods the board and fills the bin.
Genesis Hydra is a big smacko that comes with a friend.
Polukranos, World Eater is seldomly cast and deadly all by itself.
Drakuseth, Maw of Flame is slow but offers much efficacy.
Pathbreaker Ibex is the long way to say "Win the game."
6.Woodfall Primus is always a pain for the opponents.
- And Etali, Primal Storm grants card advantage, all whiles being awesome in its own right.
If I have a deck full of big idiots here if you want some spicy choices.
That shall be all from me! Awesome deck and I look forward to the changes. :D
1 month ago
l13199l: It'd look exactly like that, a dork producing 6 mana, but tutorable. I was mostly considering it cause Selvala Brostorm implemented it. I don't think I could take the psychological toll of swapping Cloudstone Curio with Kogla, the Titan Ape on the principle of messing with my Avg CMC. So I'm really at a loss. Hyrax Tower Scout will find a place, I just can't seem to find a slot atm. For now, I am MORE than satisfied with the list.
Also, Genesis Hydra is almost always looped for the Thousand-Year Elixir on the winning turn. Emergence Zone is for the situation it gets stuck in your hand. Otherwise we dig and Noxious Revival and Genesis Hydra for it.
Kamerot: Thank you so much, dude!! <3
1 month ago
First, needs more 1 drops. I recommend going heavy into the 'ramp a stompy thing out t2' with a playset of Birds of Paradise. Not only ramps and fixes your mana very well, it also has flying and is therefore great to mutate onto.
Second, your manabase sucks. Zagoth Triome is mediocre at best. In Modern, you absolutely cannot be playing taplands anymore. It's too fast unless you're playing a more traditional control deck. Fortunately, there's a couple real cheap cards that will dig you out of this hole: Llanowar Wastes and Yavimaya Coast. $1-2 each, they should be a playset unless you're going with a higher quality manabase. Cut at least one Island and at least one Swamp to add these. There are also other better lands, but those should hold you over. You really should cut Triomes, though, and include either Fastlands(Botanical Sanctum and Blooming Marsh) or Checklands(Hinterland Harbor and Woodland Cemetery). Green t1 is going to be part of your gameplan.
Fourth, cut your enchantments and artifacts(except maybe Ozolith) for Sea-Dasher Octopus. Card draw is great, 2-mana mutate is great, it's all-around great.
Fifth, maybe try out Trumpeting Gnarr. Pretty fun card.
All-in-all, just needs an actual manabase and some curve tweaks, but the core of the deck looks at least functional(not super familiar with the modern meta atm, so I'm unsure if it'll actually do well). I like the idea of a lategame Starrix acting as a sort of Genesis Hydra. Going t1 Birds into t2 Greathorn, ramping into a t3 Gnarr and an easy t4 Starrix or Dirge Bat should be game over.
Oh, I forgot -- Starrix is good enough that you should go 4x. Archetype sucks.
Also, cut a couple cards for removal. While Starrix doesn't necessarily hit it, it skips it. Seriously, you can have any number of nonpermanent cards in your deck and it won't hurt starrix one bit. Most of our non-ramp non-land cards are large enough that hitting a handful of them should be worth it.
Sorry for long post, but I got exited over Starrix for a second. It's totally reasonable to play it t4 and get 3+ permanents off it. At least one of those should be a decent sized creature. Then, you'll likely have a couple extra cards in hand and mutating starrix a second time for 4+ permanents is back breaking for any strategy. You just need to make sure you have Parcelbeasts and Octopuses going so that you can keep your hand full -- because you'll have all the mana at that point.
1 month ago
Funkydiscogod: I tried Dramatic Entrance, but I still prefer Early Harvest because they both grants me a turn 3 Avenger of Zendikar with 5 lands, but the second one can also help to cast a bigger Genesis Hydra, which needs a lot of mana if I want to find the avenger. Dramatic Entrance wouldn't help with the hydra at all.
The black addition you suggested is really interesting, Vigor Mortis is great! It fits perfectly in the deck. Also, I found some good black or green-black plants creatures that could work.
Also, I was thinking of using abilities like Scavenge, Populate and Proliferate. Sundering Growth will probably go in the sideboard.
1 month ago
For Genesis Hydra, I was thinking of reducing its copies to 2 because to get some value out of it, it has to be very expensive and it still has a chance of not finding what I look for.
Thanks for the help