|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Beast
Spearbreaker Behemoth is indestructible.
(1): Target creature with power 5 or greater is indestructible this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Spearbreaker Behemoth Discussion
2 months ago
Okay so I can tell you're a relative novice, since most of the cards you use are recent, so here are my thoughts as a long-time player.
1) mana concerns. You have a LOT of dorks, but that's not exactly optimal. In commander, there tend to be a lot of board wipes (example: Wrath of God). This just throws your gameplan to the wind. Try some rocks and ramp. Sol Ring, Exploration, Burgeoning, Worn Powerstone, Hedron Archive, Cultivate, Traverse the Outlands, Skyshroud Claim, and Emerald Medallion are good examples.
2) flavor. Lots of big things, but not a lot of really good things. Wurmcoil Engine, Blightsteel Colossus, Archetype of Endurance provides some much-needed resistance to removal, Mossbridge Troll to just surprise kill an opponent, Siege Behemoth to power through chump-blocking, Steel Hellkite for removal, Thunderfoot Baloth, and if you want a little out-there synergy, Beacon Behemoth, Paleoloth, and Spearbreaker Behemoth are all pretty cool.
3) draw. Or lack thereof. All right there isn't that much to suggest here (it's green, for heaven's sake). But Soul of the Harvest, Zendikar Resurgent, Elemental Bond, maybe Kavu Lair: all good options. For some burst draw, it doesn't get much better than Soul's Majesty and Rishkar's Expertise. Others include Mouth / Feed and Shamanic Revelation.
So yeah, that's most of what I got, other than Prowling Serpopard. Against Todd's blue deck.
2 months ago
Obviously it depends on the meta but I feel like your creature count is quite low, how often do you miss on Mayael? Privileged Position is honestly better replaced by Archetype of Endurance since it's a creature with power 5 or greater with the same effect but it also makes your opponents creatures lose hexproof making your own removal even stronger. Worldspine Wurm is something you should consider as well as the only legitimate way to get rid of it is through exile. Siege Behemoth is definitely a card to consider, in my own play group it birthed the phrase "If I block I die, if I don't block I die.". Looking at the decklist I think the weakest part of the deck is the planeswalkers, Domri Rade and Ajani Vengeant have no great synergy with Mayael the Anima in fact Domri has negative synergy as you'd rather have the creatures on your top deck than in your hand. Sarkhan Vol is very weak in the deck as well as another big creature would give you much more value than what the planeswalker card has to offer, something like Dragonlord Dromoka really protects you from any responses to your plays in your turn and can turn a rough game around, this is the kind of value you should be looking for.I'm going to list some more creatures I'd like to suggest as they offer great value and I'd also suggest that you raise your creature count to around the mid 30's as to really maximise Mayael the Anima. - Spearbreaker Behemoth: protection against a lot single target black removal and board wipes. - Stonehoof Chieftain: one of the strongest plays with this card is to drop it, attack for all then board wipe leaving all your creatures intact.- Blazing Archon: I don't think I really need say anything about this card. - Void Winnower: it can shut players completely out the game and it is a big body.- Avenger of Zendikar: provides you with chump blockers that only get bigger if your opponent(s) don't board wipe. - Atarka, World Render: strong even on its own but with other dragons in your deck things get scary quite quickly. - Hellkite Charger: having an extra combat step often just wins you the game. - Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger: another card that can shut players out the game, or at worst slow them down a turn or two, all while providing you with even more mana to build your board and prepare for the win. - Nylea, God of the Hunt: trample is such a powerful effect, even more so than vigilance, as it prevent chump blocking and if your opponent is struggling for any significant p/t on board then they're forced to find an answer or they will simply lose the game. -Gruul Ragebeast: this is monster of a card if you're already winning as it can reduce you're opponents blocker count significantly with multiple creature triggers but it also serves to provide removal for any big threats you may find yourself facing. - Blightsteel Colossus: this is one of the scariest creatures in magic because one clear hit from this thing and you're just dead, and the trample again removes any ability to chump block with small creatures. - Chord of Calling: the benefits of this card to that of Green Sun's Zenith are that it's an instant and it has convoke which allows for plays like pulling an Avacyn, Angel of Hope out of your library in response to a board wipe. - Skyshroud Claim: this is a lot of the time better than a Tempt with Discovery as if your opponents a smart they will only let you search for one land card whereas skyshroud gets you two forest cards and, with plenty of land cards with the forest typing, gives you more value for the same cmc of spell. Overall I think you've got some basis for a strong deck but it lacks enough creatures to really utilise the insane value you can get off of a commander as powerful as Mayael the Anima.
4 months ago
Hey there! Awesome deck you have here (and Maelstrom Wanderer is probably my favorite commander, so that doesn't hurt)!
I agree you need a little more mana fixing; fortunately, Green is very good at this. Kodama's Reach and Cultivate are both amazing at ramp and fixing, and Farseek, Explosive Vegetation, Skyshroud Claim, and Urban Evolution are as well (keep in mind that you can get any forest with the Claim, not just basics). Gilded Lotus is also an option.
Some other general suggestions I have for you:
- Scroll Rack is great at setting the top cards of your library for your commander to cascade into, while putting extra lands to the bottom.
- I enjoy Bane of Bala Ged as a devastating Cascade target, although it does draw some hate.
- Great Whale is hilarious to cascade into, and gets you infinite mana with Deadeye Navigator.
- Magus of the Mind is also a great cascade target.
- Regrowth is better than Recollect, although I can understand if you prefer the promo.
- Pathbreaker Ibex is generally game-ending, especially with the haste from Wanderer.
- Blasphemous Act is a board wipe that you don't cascade into.
- Primal Command is great for its extreme versatility.
- Future Sight lets you see the top card of your library to determine when to pull the trigger on casting Wanderer. It's also great with Top.
- Mind's Dilation is just generally amazing.
- Spearbreaker Behemoth can protect your big things.
- Recurring Insight is amazing card draw, often drawing you 10+ cards.
Finally, I do think your mana base needs a little work. I find 37-38 lands is appropriate for a ramp-heavy deck like Wanderer, so you can certainly cut a few lands. I'd recommend the checklands (Rootbound Crag, Hinterland Harbor, and Sulfur Falls), the painlands (Karplusan Forest, Yavimaya Coast, and Shivan Reef), the shocklands (Stomping Ground, Breeding Pool, and Steam Vents), the temples (Temple of Mystery, Temple of Abandon, and Temple of Epiphany), and the fetchlands if you can afford them (Wooded Foothills, Misty Rainforest, and Scalding Tarn). Ash Barrens is also amazing due to the shuffle effect if you need it, and Frontier Bivouac is fine if you need the fixing.
Hope this helps!
5 months ago
Hi there. I've a similar deck Ruric Thar Smash Face with only a few noncreature spells. Maybe you can find some ideas there. On a quick view I'd suggest:
- Quirion Ranger is great to untap Priest of Titania and get you an additional mana if you don't have a land drop.
- Channeler Initiate fixes color mana, triggers Garruk's Packleader and can simply kill a mana dork to enter as a 3/4 beatstick lategame.
- My meta is plagued by control and counter, so Prowling Serpopard is a must, as well as a bunch of indestructibles like Rhonas the Indomitable, Stonehoof Chieftain and Spearbreaker Behemoth.
- It's also very helpful to have ways to cheat the fatties into play, like Elvish Piper and Champion of Rhonas
- Great Oak Guardian is a blast. Flash, untaps your folks and pumps them. Can be used on offense and defense alike and reach is a great plus.
6 months ago
Hi! Sweet deck with a cool commander.
First off, your mana base could use some work. Check out EDHREC.com for a list of lands you could use.
Here's some suggestions(I don't play green and don't know your budget so take em with a grain of salt):
Stonehoof Chieftain - good if you like attacking
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - She's just... too powerful....
Spellbreaker Behemoth - if counter magic is big in your meta
Traverse the Outlands - this takes you from turn 5 to turn 10 just like that
Lightning Greaves - much needed protection and haste
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - good ramp and card draw 50% of the time
Vizier of the Menagerie - card advantage and pseudo-color fixing
Worldly Tutor - will put the creature you need on top of the library before you use her ability
Farseek - can grab a plains or mountain. Becomes better with duel lands.
See the Unwritten - just another cheat effect
Chromatic Lantern - fixer/ramp
Rings of Brighthearth - 'spencive but good copy effect
Commander's Sphere - ramp/card draw in late game
Mirari's Wake - mana doubler + anthem
Momentous Fall - draw cards
Greater Good - lots
Life's Legacy - and lots
Reliquary Tower - of cards
Then in general terms, more haste enchantments and improvements to the mana base and you'll be looking good. Don't take all of these suggestions obviously, just trying to get more cards in your mind. Good luck!
6 months ago
Sweet build, thoughts on Spearbreaker Behemoth?
7 months ago
Spearbreaker Behemoth is pretty good for these colors as well. Temur Sabertooth could be something you look at. Provides indestructible to it while bouncing another creature, potentially saving it from a wrath effect.
7 months ago
I took a look on the gatherer searching for cards with the text "power 5 or greater" and found a few cards that I think would be good for dinos.
Drumhunter, Exuberant Firestoker, Feed the Clan, Godtracker of Jund, maybe Mayael the Anima, Mayael's Aria, Mighty Emergence, Mycoid Shepherd, maybe Spearbreaker Behemoth, Spellbreaker Behemoth, Sunseed Nurturer, and Where Ancients Tread.