Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Legendary Creature — Ogre Warrior
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed attacks each turn if able.
Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell, Ruric Thar deals 6 damage to that player.
|Want (2)||Cannon119 , lettersandnumbers|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance: Guild Kits (GK2)||Rare|
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Dragon's Maze (DGM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.01%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
RG (Gruul): 1.39%
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed Discussion
3 weeks ago
There are a couple of more permanent Damige Doublers that I'd like a bit better than Quest for Pure Flame like Furnace of Rath and Gratuitous Violence. Also, if you want to be mean to people, I'm pretty sure you should try Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. I knwo he can hit you as well, but chances are people are gonna be more concerned with him. You can also try Zhur-Taa Druid because he fits in the theme and is ramp.
Try an mitigate some heavy loss of life with Loxodon Warhammer and Shadowspear and maybe include a tad bit more recursion. I'd also try running Wildfire just to mess with people, but you might need some help recovering from that.
4 weeks ago
needs wheels, but good otherwise. Ruric Thar, the Unbowed would also be a good meme in the 99.
1 month ago
Hey I just came across this awesome looking deck I've been on the look out for a budget Ruric Thar, the Unbowed commander deck for a while now do you have any suggestions to upgrade this deck for about £30
3 months ago
Yeah your list is great as-is. But if it were up to me I would cut these:
- Domri, Chaos Bringer - this domri doesn't seem that impactful. He's either an expensive mana dork or a bad draw spell.
- Craterhoof Behemoth - craterhoof costs 8. sure you could get him out with mana from radha, but he's not too exciting post-combat haha.
- Electrodominance - this isn't bad here at all, but I think it could be replaced with something more impactful.
- Ruric Thar, the Unbowed - you have more noncreature spells than creature spells.
- Mirri's Guile - great card, but doesn't provide gas. I think mass draw like Keeper of Fables would be better.
- Sylvan Library - similar to Mirri's Guile, I think there are better and less risky options.
- Nature's Claim - not bad at all, but since you can generate a lot of mana I think you can afford to play bigger removal spells like Storm the Citadel .
- Comet Storm - makes sense here, however if you're generating enough mana for this to completely wipe out your opps' creatures or eliminate someone, then you're likely already winning anyway. Instead you can just force blocks by boosting all your dudes (e.g. Thunderfoot Baloth ) and have the same effect as Comet Storm, except it's every turn rather than just once.
- Veil of Summer - I'm not so sure this card translates that well to EDH. It depends on your meta I suppose, but Veil doesn't stop things like Rift or Damnation which I believe are more common than targetted removal in / decks. If your meta slings a lot of counterspells I could see this being worth it, if not I think it is too situational. You also have plenty of counter-hate besides Veil.
- Collector Ouphe - while you don't run a lot of artifacts, this guy does turn off your boots and rocks which could slow you down. it might be better to just blow up trouble artifacts (e.g. Artifact Mutation )
- Blood Moon - This is strong but I don't think you need to resort to resource denial to win. You could instead play something that advances your game plan like Champion of Lambholt .
- Insurrection - This card wins games but if you ask me it's a pretty uninteresting way to win haha. Any red deck could run this and snag wins out of nowhere with it. Not saying you're wrong for running it, just that I personally would pick something more distinctive.
- Tooth and Nail - similar to Insurrection. You can grab Hellkite Charger and Savage Ventmaw which is kinda neat, but some might complain that this as a one-card-combo. Depends on your meta I suppose.
- Defense of the Heart - same as above.
3 months ago
I like the addition of Torch Courier, in the Ilharg shell. I'm not so sure about Leyline of Sanctity in your sideboard. Discard effects can hurt the deck and there is no denying that, the Leyline also has some value against Prowess or Ensoul decks, personally though I've never been a fan of putting in a dead card. Rather than Leyline I have two copies of Elixir of Immortality this gains life, but also shuffles your graveyard back into your deck.
Other common sideboard inclusions are Ruric Thar, the Unbowed Hornet Queen and Carnage Tyrant (or Plated Crusher in a push) alongside Anger of the Gods and Pithing Needle these cards are likely a good place to start. I was tempted by Archetype of Endurance partly because it's a boar and partly for it's hexproof based abilities.
Hope this is of some help, good luck brewing your deck.
3 months ago
And there goes 50% - 80% of most decks.
3 months ago
@scary24 - It's too expensive my friend.. But that will definitely force opponents not to play islands if they don't want to ramp me.. If I can purchase a cheap copy, I will definitely include it.. Thanks!
@86419851 - hmmm.. That card could be the start of possible combos or explosive turns with this deck, if I had one, except for ruining a blue player's day.. lol.. I'll wait for it to decrease in price, then we'll see if I can buy it.. Thanks for the suggestion!
@CATE75 - Cute bears! :) I didn't include Islandwalk creatures since one of the goals is blowing up other player's islands.. But thanks!
@drawingonly88 - Hmmm.. good point! But I don't plan on casting Ruric Thar, the Unbowed as often as i can.. It's just a redundancy should players has problematic stax, enchantments, artifacts or planeswalkers.. Plus, getting killed with my own commander is epic, especially for a Gruul themed, blue hating deck like this! lol
@lola82600 - Thanks brother! Sure you can copy this deck, and populate the hate for this plague that's suffocating fellow mtg players of blue control decks! lol
3 months ago
your commander will both damage you and your opponents, you know that? 37 cards will damage you for 6 when Ruric Thar, the Unbowed is on your battlefield.. you might want to reduce the number of non-creature spells you have..