|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Rare|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Angel Spirit
Flying, protection from black
Echo (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this came under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep, sacrifice it unless you pay its echo cost.)
When Karmic Guide enters the battlefield, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (29)||RazortoothMtg , zn.tportlock , Vasbear1 , Pelli , DruneGrey , KillDatBUG , thetechzombie , ironax , Lindough , prass1 , Falte , MrCrazzyc , AlertKnave8075 , Archegos , Espi14 , davir , mziter501 , Duct-Tape-Guardian , pskinn01 , Va1mar , , Spinalripper , Jpegwun , killstars , NCN946 , saj0219 , Reliva , philktoken8998 , MattN7498|
|Want (6)||Vasbear1 , Jose_Arrogantio , KevinLS , gamerhat , Bezter , Daeyel|
Karmic Guide Discussion
1 day ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
2 days ago
Rune-Scarred Demon, Magister of Worth, Selfless Squire, Luminate Primordial,Solemn Simulacrum,Wall of Omens,Angel of Serenity, and Karmic Guide all work well with Triad of Fates flicker ability as well.
4 days ago
Off for a playtest tonight!
5 days ago
Ahead of tonite's playtest session I am trying to find room for at least some of the following:
Maybe also Dragonlord Ojutai
5 days ago
Sword of Feast and Famine well, I said that I wouldn't include swords. I don't have them on paper but I use them online. On paper this is replaced by Loxodon Warhammer. In EDH this is the strongest sword probably, it enables very productive turns and directly attacks the opponent's hand.
Sword of Fire and Ice second best sword, preferable in some matchups. Draws cards and kills dorks. Nothing particular to say. I feel that the 2-equip cost of the swords is very important for the deck in 1v1. Tipically you want to T2 sram, T3 sword and draw, T4 try to equip. If opponent doesn't kill sram it's all good, but even if they do, you have 2 mana open to play something else and mitigate the tempo loss. Most cards in the deck are 2 cmc so you should be able to do that on average. This is not possible with Warhammer, Godsend and Strata Scyte, which are the main substitutes for the swords.
Aven Mindcensor decent hatebear, flier, can hold a sword, can be recurred by Sun Titan and can be eaten by skullclamp. Pretty much all we want from our 2-3 cmc creatures.
Phyrexian Revoker same as above, except he doesn't fly. Instead, he is tutorable and more easily recurrable and he is a good target for Restoration Angel. Ability is almost always relevant and can stop/slow down some very bad things.
Felidar Cub a second copy of kami of ancient law
Monk Idealist a second copy of Auramancer
Solemn Simulacrum In general I don't like sad robot very much. There are better things to do at 4 mana. However, in this deck he almost always has a purpose. He ramps, blocks, can hold a sword very well and doesn't care about removal. Can be recurred by a bunch of things, tutored (bad play, but still..) and is part of a wonky combo with emeria shepherd and any altar that allows you to basically fetch all plains from deck to field, draw half your deck while filling the yard or generating pseudo infinite mana. Also, decent (kinda..) target for Resto Angel or Gift of Immortality. There is always something that sad robot can do.
Reveillark well, we could run the obvious Karmic Guide + Reveillark combo. The problem is that being mono white we don't really have a way to tutor the combo consistently (even adding Recruiter of the Guard we could tutor only half of it). And without the combo I don't see Karmic Guide as a very strong play that justifies occupying a 5 mana slot. On the other hand, I think Reveillark is good enough to include. It brings back 2 creatures (most of our guys are good targets) or can live without asking you to invest a whole other turn of mana into it. Flies, decent body, great target for Resto Angel.
Altar of Dementia and Ashnod's Altar these two bad boys turn opponents' removal into something useful, even saving from exile. But their purpose is not only defensive. When paired with some other pieces (Gift of Immortality, Deathrender, skullclamp) they can start some nice value engines, even degenerating into combo when Deathrender is involved. Ashnod clearly does it while generating mana, while Dementia can fill the yard of nice targets for our many recursion cards.
Arrest better pacifism
Aura of Silence powerful card, can be staxy and buy you time, prevents things from being played, and if the opponent plays a threat into it, you can easily call the bluff and wait for the real threat. It can berecurred in a bunch of ways, including Sun Titan, tutored by Enlightened Tutor and can trigger Mesa Enchantress. Lots of applications for it.
Seal of Cleansing weaker but cheaper version of Aura of Silence.
Finally, a bunch of lands. Homeward Path for the occasional pesky blue decks that want to play with your cards, Ancient Den and Darksteel Citadel can be tutored in desperate situations, but mostly are there to enable a faster activation of Puresteel Paladin, Ghost Quarter to blow up the annoying Maze of Ith or to stop the usual broken ramp lands, Inventors' Fair for the hypotetical tutor and New Benalia for the occasional T1 scry 1 which is nice
1 week ago
Sheoldred, Whispering One, Karmic Guide, Animate Dead, for some reanimation, Utter End for a catch-all removal spell, Selesnya Signet, Chromatic Lantern to round out your mana base, sac outlets like Birthing Pod for some sweet combos, and Ashnod's Altar for mana, Skullclamp to draw cards when using the sac outlets, Whispersilk Cloak to help protect your commander and make him unblockable.
Hope some of this helps!
1 week ago
Alright! Brion is one of my favorites!
Here's mine for reference.
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 119 | 137 COMMENTS | 9644 VIEWS | IN 52 FOLDERS
Not sure about your strategy. Seems inconsistent and hard to get going. You'll need a way to get the creatures and then the equipment and then a strong recursion package. Balan seems viable. Kemba not so much.
That said, here are some ideas.
Equipment: Sunforger(possible recursion enabler too), Assault Suit, Illusionist's Bracers(equip to brion), Masterwork of Ingenuity, Skullclamp(very important), Grafted Exoskeleton(will get hate). In my Brion deck I only run equipment for utility so I'm not as much help there.
Recursion: Mimic Vat and Feldon of the Third Path my be good for you. Putting Balan under the Vat seems especially good. Then you only need 6 mana per turn to do his thing. That seems alright to me. Gift of Immortality will be good for you. There are lots of other white recursion too. Karmic Guide, Resurrection etc.
For mana base I'd just look at mine and get what you can afford. As long as you aren't doing anything to color intensive early on you should be good.
I will say that Threaten effects are a great way to go with brion. I don't have many personally but the one-two punch then life gain with their own creature is great. Very Aikido which I like.
Other Brion goodstuff: Well of Lost Dreams. If you want to play Brion you need this card. Boros doesn't get much help with card draw but for Brion the Well is an all star. Serra Avatar and Phyrexian Processor are good finishers. Rite of the Raging Storm is really fun too. You get a flingable every turn and all your opponents have to attack each other. Good times. Chandra's Ignition is good for all the lifegain.
That's all I got for now. Check out my list for other ideas. And as others have said, get a full-ish list together to we can better see what you're trying to do. Four cards isn't a lot to go on. Help us help you haha!
1 week ago
Speaking of an ETB deck, no Brago, King Eternal here? Looks like a value city kind of card in this deck.
You run Isochron Scepter, I recommend running it in conjunction with Pull from Eternity to get back that exiled spell when the scepter is inevitably removed. Also stuff just gets exiled in commander, p.o.e. can do some work.
Nice deck, +1 cause it looks for the grind/combo win, which Azor...ius decks just want to do naturally. I run a voltron themed Azor deck, Azor will have Order, take a look as it may give you some ideas for your own.