|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Drake
When Shrieking Drake enters the battlefield, return a creature you control to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Shrieking Drake Discussion
3 days ago
I was very close to picking another Mulldrifter, but there are a number of things that would make me possibly not choose it. Mulldrifter's biggest draw is its Evoke cost that turns it into a Divination that Animar can make even cheaper. If we are just talking about a 5 CMC creature that draws two cards like Cloudblazer then I may hesitate, particularly if it requires two colored mana like Cloudblazer does. At 4 CMC I would be more inclined to included it, but once again I would cringe a little if it required two colored mana (which it probably would at that cost). The double colored mana can be a pain to juggle if you are trying to combo out early. However, if the card said something like "When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return another creature you control to its owner's hand. If you do, draw two cards." I would definitely be looking at putting it in the deck, even if it did have a 5 CMC and required two colored mana.
I ended up choosing the Bond Beetle for a couple of reasons. Bond Beetle is extremely economical for Animar, basically counting as two creatures for 1 mana in just one card. While the Beetle is lacking in terms of utility, having it in your opening hand is like starting with an extra card as far as Animar is concerned. The ability to go from 0 counters to 2 counters for just 1 mana is fantastic, because that lets you go straight to only having to pay 1 mana for one of your tutor creatures and leaves you with mana left for whatever you tutor for. Cast Spellshaper and you'll still have a mana for Worldly Tutor. Cast Imperial Recruiter and that one mana you have left is enough to let you go off with the Recruiter + Phyrexian Metamorph + Shrieking Drake combo. Cast Trinket Mage and you will be able to fetch and cast Skullclamp. And all of that is assuming that you missed your land drop for the turn. If you didn't miss a land drop you would also be able to attach the clamp to the Beetle to draw two cards right away.
Bond Beetle can also set Animar up to be able to win on turn 3, which I think is a really important benchmark for Animar given how fast other decks in the format are. Turn 2 Animar + a Mox/Lotus Petal into Bond Beetle will set you up with all the mana and counters you should need to potentially go off the following turn.
So yeah, Bond Beetle is lacking in overall utility and Animar is always hungry for new cantrip creatures, but I would really like at least one more functional reprint of Bond Beetle for the deck to up its chances of faster combo kills.
3 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
5 days ago
Ok, big update. 6 cards in, 6 out.
5 days ago
Shrieking Drake and Dream Stalker Are great for animar. As long as you have blue mana you can keep it going good way to get his counters up or bounce a more powerful creature like a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth to cast it again for free or Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger for the VALUE. Yavimaya Hollow is good regenerate effect on a land and Bloom Tender makes blue red and green mana if animar is out 3 total for one mana dork which is insane. Id cut out some creatures like Consecrated Sphinx you draw enough with Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest some of the enchantments could possibly be cut too. Your creatures should all have effects they're spells with a body. You mana should just be to cast creatures mainly. Glamerdye is a cool trick to give him protection from another color.
3 weeks ago
Nice deck! I would generally try to bring down the CMC a bit. With all the things you will be bouncing, mana will be the limiting factor.
Also, I would add in Shrieking Drake and a few counters (perhaps including Daze)
3 weeks ago
Great deck build! Edric and his weenies are a fun concept, and is a really cheap way to make a strong commander deck.
If you are dead set on the lockdown/tap mechanics going on, I might suggest you slot in Intruder Alarm and Cryptolith Rite (or Earthcraft). Heh, you've already got Shrieking Drake in this deck and he provides some silly synergy with what you have going on. I certainly like the control aspect of this deck, though you may want to add in artifact tutors to help add some consistency to finding your lockdown pieces. I think you could get away with cutting Jace and Tamiyo, to be honest but I understand why you tossed them in.
Overall, cool deck! +1
3 weeks ago
Animar is super fun! Feel free to check out my irl version on my profile! Cheers
1 month ago
I definitely understand that need to tinker. It's fun to see if you can make something more efficient or if you can find a new way to apply it.
If you are currently considering Ainok Survivalist and Dream Stalker as flexible slots, I suppose that it could be a decent time to test out Phantasmal Image if you haven't already. From my experience:
Cons: Like any clone spell, its viability and power vary with whatever is on the battlefield. The Image is also a poor clone to use if you are looking to clone something that you expect to want to interact with. It has negative synergy with Cloudstone Curio.
Pros: It's cheap to cast, can double as a card-draw creature if you already have one out, is even better as an extra copy of a tutor creature, and has on multiple occasions allowed me to keep the storm train going by copying Peregrine Drake. Another thing worth noting is that the ETB triggers of Shrieking Drake, Dream Stalker, and Ancestral Statue don't target so you can actually use them to return the Image to your hand if you need to.
I'll admit that I miss the days when Legendary permanents destroyed each other when there were two of the same Legendary on the battlefield. Back then the Image could count as a kill spell for commanders and the Metamorph could destroy Umezawa's Jitte. Oh well, those are days long past.
My rough (and situational) priority list for Image targets is:
1) Tutor creatures.
3) "Enchantress" creatures like Primordial Sage
4) Card-draw creatures.
5) An opponent's hate bear creature like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben if there are fast combo decks that I want to hamper more.
I'm not hard-set on that priority listing though. I'll generally go with whichever of those categories happen to be on the board at the time. I'm not against just cloning a mana dork if it means putting a counter on Animar and putting my ramp for the next turn that much further ahead.