|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Golem
When Ancestral Statue enters the battlefield, return a nonland permanent you control to its owner's hand.
|Have (8)||ibraJG84 , Fiolek , Yawkcorb , angesoir , Dsmonsta , bpiser95 , , ironax|
|Want (15)||marsp44 , Rathe , PlayNemesis , lullerz , LilBDeSmall , theburchman , Undamagedbkpro , ninchoco , Filie , lonesentinel , 0nilink , baconater , AlphaSp , DarthMeatloaf , ashtonthomsen|
Ancestral Statue Discussion
19 hours ago
I run Warstorm Surge in my Rakdos, Lord of Riots EDH deck and it destroys. It can also go infinite with Ancestral Statue if that's what you're looking for, but Ancestral Statue is a bit of a dead draw unless you have Surge out already. Regardless of whether or not you run Statue, I would run Warstorm Surge with all the big nasties you're running.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Anyways, feel free to check out my list for ideas. It's not budget friendly as a whole but plenty of budget options to be found. Upvotes and/or Ideas on any of my decks is appreciated. Animar, Gaea's Hemorrhoid
1 month ago
Jaecen on Animar Sec
1 month ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
1 month ago
I think you should try out either Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind or Niv-Mizzet, Parun . Both tend to control the board until they can win with either Curiosity or Ophidian Eye . OG Niv is easier on a budget mana base, but paying more for new miv might be preferable for you if you're okay not turbo'ing him out and playing a slower game. Mizzix of the Izmagnus is also very combo-y if you're into Izzet. If you want to go Temur, Animar, Soul of Elements is typically build as a combo deck using Ancestral Statue to go infinite, and the popular Animorphs build is very budget friendly and lends itself well to the Pickles Lock combo of Brine Elemental + Vesuvan Shapeshifter . The Gates deck is a control deck that wins with your favorite one-card combo, Scapeshift . It's a one-trick pony, but if you're into it, I would build it with Child of Alara at the helm. Riku of Two Reflections might be for you if you just want all the value until you can find whatever wincon you like. Finally, if it's the rampy, storm bit you like about Nic Fit and Scapeshift, I love my Tatyova, Benthic Druid druid tribal deck. Chaining land ramp and drawing cards feels very stormy, even more so when going off with Gilt-Leaf Archdruid , Guardian Project , or Beast Whisperer with Seton, Krosan Protector , Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx , Stone-Seeder Hierophant , or Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip.
1 month ago
Small Ravnica Allegiance update on Feb 8th:
When Prime Speaker Vannifar was spoiled I knew immediately I wanted to try her out in this deck, and Fabricate was cut to make room for her. Fabricate has lost a lot of utility (though not all) after the cut of Ancestral Statue and I felt I don't need a tutor for Birthing Pod now that Vannifar is in the deck. Cloudstone Curio is a great target for Fabricate still, but having a tutor for straight win con again pigeonholes my strategic planning simililarly to Ancestral Statue being in the deck. Let the testing begin!
Ancestral Statue occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%