|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for an artifact card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (30)||ZombieFood , xXThormentXx , hippienproud , davir , Mousemke , Shiromakuro , electrolynx , jhTheMan99 , Va1mar , CastleSiege , rainbowofdeath , saj0219 , Joblaska , Sparky41 , rikertchu , MoJoMiXuP , Tmanator , golgarigirl , Justinaut , angesoir , Riku580 , dplerner , Jauntu , meowCat1234 , KillDatBUG , Azdranax , kpral , KINGofORESKOS , LTmiller , Metaphisyk|
|Want (6)||Turtlelover73 , Pylioz , Ariumlegion , Jose_Arrogantio , Feyd-Rautha , Fairseas|
9 hours ago
I'm pretty sure that Trophy Mage doesn't make it into this build due to space reasons. Its only target is Cloudstone Curio, so there isn't much value in being able to bounce it a number of times. I think its potential card slot was given to Fabricate, which you have to pay the full 3 mana for but offers a far wider range of tutor targets. I would argue that Fabricate contributes more to deck consistency than Trophy Mage would, but I can certainly picture lines of play that would appreciate having the mage in the deck.
While this is only my subjective experience, I've found Walking Ballista to be a higher priority tutor target than Cloudstone Curio in most games. I don't see Cloudstone Curio that often because my usual lines of play and tutor chains completely bypass it. I would never take it out of the deck, but more often than not I find it to be a "Nice if I get it, but don't necessarily need it," card. It's generally a Plan C option for me.
2 days ago
In doing so thought I'd mention a few things, see if anything is helpful, probably not,
Fabricate can pull the Isochron Scepter for your Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal (or the Mana Crypt/Sol Ring that is needed to enable the combo?). I know you have Muddle the Mixture to tutor these, but you could Muddle the Mixture the Dramatic Reversal and Fabricate the Isochron Scepter as an additional tool. Worst case you Fabricate a Mana Crypt for net mana.
Personal Tutor can pull a Fabricate to top of deck, or if you have Temporal Mastery it can pull that to the top to Miracle for (Personal Tutor) + Temporal Mastery miracle to get the extra turn. You don't actually miss a draw, because you still draw on the extra turn you wouldn't have had anyway (technically). Also I find even if Temporal Mastery is in my hand, Brainstorm can make it favorable, or just wheel it away (not super effective), but you may even cast it for CMC7 in odd cases. Think Twice can Miracle it on opponents turns too, that would be fun.
You could run Show and Tell + Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, I think Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind would trigger? (but not sure), but your already tutoring enchantments which is very difficult. I know it sucks (no card advantage), but Gamble is a way to tutor a Curiosity and go for the win early. I think Gamble is a necessary evil here due to the difficulty of tutoring enchantments. You could also run Laboratory Maniac to win, even when you Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity maybe you need it to overcome a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice that's gained 60 life or something, just as an alternative to the draw/damage, once your out of cards in your library, no more way to output damage. Beacon of Tomorrows can also save you here too.
Faithless Looting can help with the cycling of the cards too for . Trinket Mage could tutor a Mana Crypt or Sol Ring for or you could add Great Furnace / Seat of the Synod and tutor a land, since Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is CMC6, ramping spells never hurt.
Lightning Greaves can Haste enable him so he doesn't have to survive, although you have the Counterspell if you don't have a Pact of Negation or a Force of Will handy can protect him, especially in a 4-player pod where you can't Gitaxian Probe everyone. With so few creatures, I get why it's out.
I use Turnabout + Nivix Guildmage to Infinite mana, they can also be used with Frantic Search + Izzet Boilerworks + Nivix Guildmage to Tutor Curiosity or Ophidian Eye or Mind Over Matter. I really over-utilize Nivix Guildmage so probably not right here, but thought I'd mention as it is a tutor to your combos.
Scalding Tarn and Cascade Bluffs would be good land upgrades, you have other fetches so probably didn't need to say this, but Ash Barrens also good because if you need a color it can landcycle and filter out a land, if you dont need it, it comes in untapped and doesn't slow progression down at all.
Anyways, like I mentioned, not a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind player, but I know how Tutoring really flattens out the consistency on a combo deck, especially one where you have no direct tutors (Gamble) to get the Enchantments to your hand, so some Janky ones might be of interest.
PS: some evaluations,
Magmatic Insight feels wrong, I like the draw, but sacrificing a land with a CMC6 commander still feels wrong? Plus if you draw it later in the game, it could be a dead draw until you draw a land.
Thought Scour is a pod-specific card? I don,t see much graveyard recursion here, so I assume your pod is top-deck tutoring that you need a response too? Or maybe just looking for as many Cantips as possible? Maybe Whispers of the Muse if you have the infinite mana going, gives you the infinite draw too.
Flusterstorm feels like a dead draw sometimes, especially against . If it's in your opening draw, it probably great, outside of that it's going to be less effective (but not always).
3 days ago
4 days ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
5 days ago
Another thing I remembered after I posted my previous comment was artifact tutors. Fabricate, Trinket Mage, Trophy Mage, Treasure Mage, Reshape, Whir of Invention, and if you're willing to spend the small fortune, Transmute Artifact
5 days ago
I like what your doing here. Never thought to use Hellkite Tyrant with Mycosynth Lattice
But I do have a few recommendations for you that might help.I see you have Sensei's Divining Top. You could run Cloud Key + Future Sight + Sensei's Divining Top combo, You can Draw your whole deck, and if you add Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter You can cast you whole deck if you have mana rocks out.
And here's a list of just good cards that might work well with this deck:
- The Antiquities War
- Demonic Tutor
- Storm the Vault
- Trinket Mage
- Mystical Tutor
- Diabolic Tutor
- Voltaic Key
- Paradox Engine
- Mana Vault
- Basalt Monolith
- Isochron Scepter
- Future Sight
- Dramatic Reversal
Hope this was helpful to you
Happy Brewing -Ore
1 week ago
The idea seems very fun, but with no tutor's pretty inconsistent. Since you are not in green I would suggest running an artifact tutor package to get Torpor Orb. Besides being easier to fetch, being an artifact makes it a lot easier to stick on the board through the many creature board wipes in multiplayer edh. I'm a big fan of Whir of Invention myself, and Fabricate is great too. Although a little more pricey, Gamble is totally worth it too, it even synergizes well with all the draw form. Other options include Hoarding Dragon if you wanna go cheap, or Enlightened Tutor if you want to go expensive. Running artifact tutoring means more Despotic Scepter and hate pieces like Pithing Needle (another favorite of mine, it is SO much better than I first thought)
There are a couple of cards in the deck I don't like as much, mainly because they don't work well with Torpor Orb in play: Akroan Horse, Bruna, the Fading Light and Desolation Giant. Remember that the tokens given to your opponents are not owned by you:
From the Comprehensive Rules (Dominaria (April 27, 2018)) 110.5a A token is both owned and controlled by the player under whose control it entered the battlefield.
Desolation Giant is bad with Torpor Orb as well as without it compared to a card like Phyrexian Rebirth. If you really want the Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, and don't care that you have little to no tutors and a deck that really tries hard to stop the reanimation trigger, I won't be one to stop you, Brizzy is pretty dope ;)
Cool that you are having success with such a wild build though! Hf my guy
1 week ago
To elaborate a little bit since Monster here beat me to it - Trinket Mage seems like it would make sense on paper, but in practice it doesn't do enough - it's essentially a worse Fabricate, since it has fewer legal targets, and Fabricate is barely playable for us. The best things we could reasonable pull off Trinket Mage would be fast mana or Sensei's Divining Top (there are a few haterocks and eggs it could grab, but those aren't primary tutor targets). Ideally we want to be tutoring for cost reducers like Etherium Sculptor or the big mana engines like Krark-Clan Ironworks. While it's a good card, Trinket Mage just isn't quite versatile enough to grab what we need him to.
Chief Engineer has a similar problem, especially when you look at the extremely low creature density in the deck. In any given game you may see one, maybe two creatures that aren't Jhoira herself. Because we don't have the creature density to really abuse the convoke effect, it's just not worth the slot. Now if it said "Artifact spells you cast have Improvise" instead, then we'd be getting somewhere.
I too did not know that Fractured Powerstone existed.