|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for an artifact card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||ZombieFood , xXThormentXx , hippienproud , jtaddeo , Va1mar , davir , Mousemke , jhTheMan99 , Sparky41 , saj0219 , MoJoMiXuP , golgarigirl , Justinaut , meowCat1234 , LTmiller , marsthesoos|
|Want (6)||Turtlelover73 , Pylioz , Ariumlegion , Jose_Arrogantio , meowCat1234 , mlouden03|
2 days ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
3 days ago
Sgtpopnfreash First of all, thanks a lot for your comments!
I don't actually have Timetwister, Candelabra of Tawnos, Flusterstorm, Copy Artifact, Volcanic Island, Underground Sea and The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, but if I had them, I would certainly use them in this deck.
I'll tell you why I like having Faithless Looting in my deck. 1) it enables me to trade three(including itself) cards from my hand for two new other cards, while discarding lands or cards that i'll be able to cast later with Kess, dissident mage , such as Mind's Desire, 2) It interacts well in some Doomsday piles that I like to settle sometimes, 3) It helps me to trigger Threshold for Cabal Ritual. Cephalid Coliseum have a similar effect enabling me to trade three cards from my hand for three new cards, while it enters untapped and taps for blue mana.
Mizzix's Mastery and Paradox Engine are too powerful for not to use them. With Paradox Engine on the field I can easely storm out and with a tutor or enough draws I can quickly close the game. It also helps me to avoid some stax effects, which my playgroup is consistently improving. I'm also considering adding Vandalblast or By Force to deal with tax and stax artifacts.
Please let me know your thoughts on my comment.
4 days ago
Hey this is quite similar to my DD storm Kess list some suggestions I have. Misdirection is pretty high CMC for Ad Nauseam you could probably cut that. Some ad naus decks dont even run Force of Will but I think that is stupid. Faithless Looting isnt as good as some other draw spells, Night's Whisper or Chart A Course would both probably be better choices for your Doomsday piles. Phyrexian Metamorph is also very high mana costed for an Ad Nauseam deck, maybe think about Copy Artifact. Now Paradox Engine is interesting but I really haven't found it to be necessary for Kess decks specifically, between Yawgmoth's Will, the black rituals, High Tide and Kess herself you dont need Paradox Engine for more mana. Its just excessive. Other than that the deck looks pretty good I would add a few more Islands and probably cut Cavern of Souls and Cephalid Coliseum at least maybe some of the orchards too. Mizzix's Mastery, Thought Vessel and Fabricate all seem like iffy choices but they are fine if you don't have other cards.
Here is my kess deck if you would like to check it out. Kess Doomsday Storm
1 week ago
Are you using Garza Zol, Plague Queen for any reason? The new legendary Inalla, Archmage Ritualist is pretty easy to get right now, and taps for effects(and lets you get copies of Trinket Mage and Inspired Sprite to get more draws/artifact search.) Praetor's Grasp is always an amazing card to find something in an opponents deck.
Since you have a combo you want to get out, you might like cards like Whir of Invention, Artificer's Intuition, the more expensive Fabricate to get paradise out, and for getting the Freed from the Real try Drift of Phantasms and Dimir Machinations. You can also run the other transmute's like Dizzy Spell or Clutch of the Undercity etc. to find other things in your deck too.
Racecourse Fury is not especially high on the threat list, so you can have essentially free haste-enable on the cheap.Quicksilver Dagger enables tap+damage+draw a card for cheap. Unscythe, Killer of Kings is a silly card that might find a place.Hematite Talisman and Lapis Lazuli Talisman let you untap other creatures to boot.
I'd lose some of the instant/one-off untaps- they're cheap but only good for one motion, whereas you want to be doing it over and over again. Same with ETB like Breaching Hippocamp. Chain Stasis is fun because you could pay 2 to do it again on another creature, making it 2 - trigger inspired. Tidal Bore can let you get out an extra untap or tap when you're strapped for mana.
Thassa's Ire isn't the most mana-effective option but it's a one-drop that lets you do it over and over again as long as you have mana. You also may want something like Fortuitous Find to bring back things. Recurr is always good! :D
1 week ago
If you're looking to add a little more consistency to your ability to go infinite, there are a few options:
- Nim Deathmantle is basically a second copy of Eldrazi Displacer that you can fetch with Fabricate.
- Ashnod's Altar / Krark-Clan Ironworks go infinite with Displacer/Deathmantle and Breya. They don't give you the infinite colored mana to steal the entire board with Memnarch, but the whole combo is fetchable with Saheeli.
- If you're running Pia's Revolution, it may be worth running Thopter Foundry / Sword of the Meek.
- You have the Sharuum + Sculpting Steel / Metamorph combo, but no payoffs. Those cards are an instant win with Blood Artist or Disciple of the Vault.
- Not sure what your budget is, but if you're running Disk/Forge already, you might consider Mycosynth Lattice / Vandalblast.
In terms of possible cuts:
- As weird as it sounds, Deadeye Navigator is a little awkward in Breya. You're 4-color, so the blue in its activation cost ends up being really awkward. It's not bad, but Breya is so packed with broken options that Deadeye ends up not actually being one of the best things you can do with 8 mana (casting cost + first activation).
- Training Grounds is probably worth watching. It seems right on the borderline.
- Hangarback Walker is likely going to end up a little awkward. You have a lot of recursion that puts things directly in to play, which it doesn't work with at all. It's also kind of slow. If you're looking to generate thopters, something like Thopter Spy Network might actually do more work.
- Vedalken Orrery is probably one to watch as well. Playing at instant speed is fun, but given that you're not running any counters or draw spells, it's largely just giving a modest amount of board protection. In most cases, you're probably not flashing in your whole combo, and if you lose a piece, there's tons of graveyard recursion. Might actually be better to just run 1-2 counterspells.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Ways to find your combo cards: Fabricate, Whir of Invention, Thirst for Knowledge, Lim-Dul's Vault, Demonic Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Trinket Mage, Treasure Mage, Dig Through Time, Sphinx's Revelation, Ponder, Preordain, any Tezzeret walker.
Protection/Help: Scourglass, Roar of Reclamation, Merciless Eviction, Cyclonic Rift, Stoic Rebuttal, Supreme Verdict, Defense Grid, Orim's Chant is cool on Isochron, and also can be used as a way to make sure your last combo piece isn't countered/messed with before you combo.
1 week ago
I totally forgot Enlightened Tutor was a card... That's in your colors and solves the problem :D
I was thinking Fabricate for blue but the enlightened tutor is way better