|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Merfolk vs. Goblins (DDT)||None|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
Combos Browse all
You have no maximum hand size.
: Gain .
Thought Vessel Discussion
2 hours ago
Hey, very good first Commander deck :)
Because of all the great Fetch lands you have consider a Breeding Pool ? Flooded Grove is another good ETB untapped Simic dual land. Hinterland Harbor works well with lot of basic Forests and Islands. Can cut Simic Guildgate, Thornwood Falls and Woodland Stream for these three better dual lands.
Other card upgrades to consider:
- Sakura-Tribe Elder > Civic Wayfinder
- Birds of Paradise > Whisperer of the Wilds
- Llanowar Elves > Heart Warden
- Scavenging Ooze > Crook of Condemnation
- Harrow > Peregrination
- Tempt with Discovery > Explosive Vegetation
- Crop Rotation > Rampant Growth
- Cultivate > Nissa's Pilgrimage
- Nissa, Vital Force > Garruk's Packleader
- Fierce Empath > Werebear
- Green Sun's Zenith > Animist's Awakening
- Sakura-Tribe Scout > Skyshroud Ranger
- Mystic Remora > Crush of Tentacles
- Horn of Greed > Zendikar's Roil
- World Shaper > Yavimaya Elder
- Eternal Witness > Sylvan Awakening
- Walk the Aeons > Part the Waterveil
- Genesis Wave > Zendikar Resurgent
More expensive cards to consider:
If you would like I offer more help. Good luck with your deck.
5 days ago
Hi, nice deck. I just recently built a Niv deck as well and would suggest a few things. Take a hard look at any lands that do not tap for color mana, cause Niv is tough to cast so any colorless lands need to really be worth it. Along the same lines, you want artifacts that tap for color mana, so Commander's Sphere , Coalition Relic , and even Fellwar Stone and better than something like Thought Vessel . Finally, I would replace some of the higher cmc cards like Ring of Three Wishes and Planar Bridge with cheaper cantrips like Ponder , Preordain , and Brainstorm . These cheaper spells are really the gas that can get Niv rolling. Hope this helps, and good luck with the deck!
6 days ago
Thanks to everyone that commented for the great feedback.
There are a number of cards mentioned that are already on my acquire list that I want for the deck that I just didn't have handy because they are already in my Scion/Ur-Dragon deck or others. This includes Illusionist's Bracers , Flameshadow Conjuring , Dragonmaster Outcast , Thousand-Year Elixir , Dragon Tyrant , High Market and Tel-Jilad Stylus . I should have included a 'too acquire' list.
There are some cards I cut from my first draft simply do to overall mana curve. I always build my decks too high and so I deliberately go back and reassess everything 6 CMC and up. I found this to be the case when I cut Dragon Mage , Utvara Hellkite , and Scourge of Valkas (avoiding 3 colored in the casting cost...I know, I know, it's a mono deck, but I still find away to get locked there somehow). I also did find Scourge of Valkas meeting my 'answers' need when it was tutored, but I can see @TypicalTimmy's combo as fun shenanigans, so I might need to make room for them.
As for rocks, I had trimmed both Fellwar Stone and Ruby Medallion because I went more on utility in other areas. The same sort of went for Dragon's Hoard . i'd be interested in suggestion on what to cut for any of these. I did leave both Thought Vessel and Reliquary Tower deliberately out as the deck just never puts you in that position to need them.
The honest answer on the City of Brass , Command Tower , Mana Confluence , Path of Ancestry , and Reflecting Pool is I ran out of the unhinged mountains I wanted to use and need to get more :). The command tower was an easy add as it doesn't lose much aside from being affected by anything that targets non-basic lands. The Path of Ancestry was because I wanted the advantage of the scry and then the ping lands were because I need more unhinged mountains.
I had Gamble in the deck, but cut it in favor of others. Suggestions on what to pull out for it?
Chaos Warp is in the deck.
6 days ago
Hey, your deck looks amazing, well done :)
Upgrades to consider:
- Thought Vessel > Star Compass: Vessel ETB untapped and is another no maximum hand size effect.
- Trinket Mage > Ignite Memories: there's a lot of potential powerful ramp targets to search for with Mage.
- Consecrated Sphinx > Azami, Lady of Scrolls: Sphinx is amazing in multiplayer Commander, he demands an answer.
- Disallow > Dissolve: three modes for a counterspell is good.
- Rhystic Study > Commander's Sphere: one of the best repeatable no mana cost sources of draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Mystic Remora > Fire / Ice: one of the best repeatable sources of draw in multiplayer Commander.
Lands to consider:
- City of Brass
- Inventors' Fair
- Minamo, School at Water's Edge : untap Nin.
- Riptide Laboratory : good Wizards here to bounce especially Snapcaster.
Good luck with your deck.
6 days ago
Hey, with so many Islands consider High Tide ? If playing High Tide you also want more cards that can untap lands Frantic Search , Turnabout , Snap . These cards are not just good with High Tide, but are good to get more experience counters faster since they're instants which untap lands letting you play other instants/sorceries in a turn.
Other cards to consider:
- Shivan Reef
- Cascade Bluffs
- Sulfur Falls
- Mystic Remora : great repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Rhystic Study : great repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Spell Burst : counterspell with buyback.
- Capsize : bounce permanent spell with buyback.
- Reiterate : copy spell with buyback.
- Merchant Scroll
- Blue Sun's Zenith
- Stroke of Genius
- Pull from Tomorrow
- Thought Vessel
- Past in Flames
Cards to consider cutting:
- 3x Mountain
- Confirm Suspicions
- Dragonlord's Prerogative
- Epiphany at the Drownyard
- Glimmer of Genius
- Precognitive Perception
- Read the Runes
- Overwhelming Denial
- Covenant of Minds
- Stolen Goods
- Compulsive Research
- Pyramid of the Pantheon
- Cultivator's Caravan
- Sentinel Tower
- Sphinx-Bone Wand
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Hey, Dragon Tempest , Utvara Hellkite and Dragonmaster Outcast are among the best Dragon themed cards to play. Tempest is more ways to give Dragons haste including Zirilan as well do some damage to opponent or creature when you cheat Dragons into play. Utvara should always be your first Dragon to search for with Zirilan since haste means she will create a 6/6 Dragon when she attacks. Dragonmaster is good in multiplayer Commander because he's a possible repeatable source of Dragons. Utvrara and Dragonmaster are busted with Tempest.
Consider Gamble and Chaos Warp ? They're staple red cards since their effects are not something that traditionally red has access to (unconditional tutor and enchantment removal). More two drop mana rocks are helpful for ramp since Kirilan requires a lot of mana to get going. The two drop mana rocks you play don't have to make red mana since making red mana will not be a problem with so many Mountains. The mana rocks just need to create mana for ramp and in my opinion consider a lot of mana rocks? Mind Stone , Fellwar Stone , Thought Vessel , Ruby Medallion , Dragon's Hoard , Everflowing Chalice , Prismatic Lens ? Ashnod's Altar lets you make mana by sacing a Dragon or token copy before your end step, if it's going to die anyway might as well make some mana.
Thousand-Year Elixir can also give Zirilan haste as well as untap him to potentially use his ability another time during your turn or during an opponents turn. Tel-Jilad Stylus is helpful to put a Dragon back into your library after it attacks so it's not saced EOT. Dragon Mage is a very good Dragon when it has haste because red lacks many draw options and Mage is repeatable draw each time it hits an opponent. Dragon Tyrant is good when it has haste, hitting for 12 flying/trample damage.
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
So before I list cuts and suggestions let me start with what I've gathered from your deck.
You have a lack of value on a LOT of card that you've chosen, I'll explain in more detail in cuts but every card should serve to help you win the game not just push your theme/gimmick. sometimes you gotta make slots for cards.
Lack of spot removal. You have little to no way to deal with your opponents shenanigans, to be exact you have only 2 bits of spot removal. Your deck's gameplan isn't fast enough or big enough to just play solitare like some combo, control, or hyper aggressive decks.
You have a distinct lack of board wipes, to be exact you have one. I get your hesitation to run these but... You have to, if not someone is going to be in a better position than you and it's going to cost you the game.
I feel like you're ignoring your colors' strengths. Green ramps, White removes, and Blue Draws/Counters. Play to those strengths because that's what makes Bant such a powerful color combination!
Alright to the cuts:
- Tamiyo, field researcher: I get it she's an omniscience but I don't think that she lives for long and her + and - abilities aren't really all that useful to you or the gameplan. Not enough value.
- Nissa, vital force: You aren't playing lands, the only thing useful on this card to you is her - ability. Sure her ult would gain some passive use IF you ever got there! Not enough value.
- Spellbook: I don't understand why this was there to begin with... Reliquary Tower is far superior, and if you must have an artifact for it I'd run Thought Vessel over it anyday.
- Contagion Clasp: I'ma big believer that Contagion Engine is just better. For 4 extra mana upfront you get to wipe an opponent's board, and you get to pay the same 4 you'd pay on clasp but you'd get two proliferates instead. Who cares if you get it out turn two you can't do anything with it for two turns.
- Call the gatewatch: You aren't playing planeswalkers... this card doesn't have enough value and doesn't help you achieve your goal at all.
- Djeru, with eyes open: Refer to Call the Gatewatch
- tireless tracker: This COULD get there, it COULD be useful, but... That's a could be, not a guarantee. I'd prefer to see a card here that is going to help definitively.
- Vizier of the menagerie: you only have 25 creatures... you have a 1/4 chance for this to actually mean something. Not enough value as the deck stands with so few creatures. I'd rather see consistent draw power here.
- talisman of progress: I just don't think it's necessary you have 5 rocks total this isn't necessary at all.
- oath of ajani: I get it... It's first ability helps you out a lot, but... I just feel like it's a wasted card slot. it's an enchantment that you're basically treating as a sorcery.
Here are some card I'd suggest filling these holes, which I'll break down into categories.
Useful +1/+1 Shenanigans:
- Kalonian Hydra
- Champion of Lambholt
- Tuskguard Captain
- Abzan Falconer
- Loyal Guardian
- Prime Speaker Zegana
- Zameck Guildmage
- Bloodspore Thrinax
- Mikaeus, the Lunarch
- Walking Ballista
- Hydroid Krasis
- Sage of Hours
- Doubling Season / Primal Vigor
- Fuel for the Cause
Staples that should be in the deck including Spot removal!
- Vedalken Orrery
- Teferi's Protection
- Heroic Intervention
- Rhystic Study
- Path to Exile
- Swords to Plowshares
- Defense of the Heart
If you're going to play walkers these are much better suited to your deck:
Finally some board wipes
Last thing, I'm not taking into account budgets of any kind I just want to help you create the most competitive deck that won't fold over if someone screws your gameplan over. Also if I came off as a dick at all apologies, it's not intentional.
2 weeks ago
Hi friends! I Am looking to buy my Elenda deck and I'm down to 30 cards! If you have any of the following and want to sell or trade, hit me up! Prices are roughly high to low.
- Elenda, the Dusk Rose
- Phyrexian Altar
- Enlightened Tutor
- Strip Mine
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded
- Thought Vessel
- Krav, the Unredeemed
- Godless Shrine
- Fetid Heath
- Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
- Steelshaper's Gift
- Westvale Abbey Flip
- High Market
- Midnight Reaper
- Disciple of Bolas
- Dimir Machinations
- Coldsteel Heart
- Gift of Immortality
- Tortured Existence
- Unspeakable Symbol
- Animation Module
- Ashes of the Fallen
- Forge of Heroes
- Shade's Form
I'm posting this in a few different places, so this is liable to shorten at a moment's notice. Thanks!
Thought Vessel occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.16%
W/U (Azorius): 1.35%
U/R (Izzet): 1.17%
G/U (Simic): 0.57%
U/B/R (Grixis): 0.54%
W/U/B (Esper): 0.5%