|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Expeditions||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Land — Mountain Forest
(: Add or to your mana pool.)
As Stomping Ground enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Stomping Ground enters the battlefield tapped.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (23)||Mousemke , ibraJG84 , ironax , jrschnoebelen , PhyrexianScience , CampbellStev , Justinaut , thetechzombie , gildan_bladeborn , perrin515 , tragic_slip , NOGzFTW , Zomgasa , Lindough , ChrisH , saj0219 , Matgic , Neos272 , Nemesis , tangrams , L4DMalus , Dawnsly , TehDelta|
|Want (23)||MindAblaze , KB2187 , accioali , AlertKnave8075 , CampbellStev , DHermos , bradyofportdetroit , Ashy , pskinn01 , Bovine073 , BlueMageBrandon , saj0219 , acbooster , twospires , knto , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , AAHFI , Riders_of_Brohan , Spinalripper , jtaddeo , Oloro_Magic , buildingadeck , brokendwarf|
Stomping Ground Discussion
2 days ago
@GabeCubed & @filthyc4sual R/G Taxes seems like it could be a thing. Getting a Manabarbs online on turn 3 seems really good. Might be able to include more copies of it if I can reliably cast it on turn 3. I'll throw a R/G version of the deck together and test it compared to my Mono-Red version. Simian Spirit Guide, Birds of Paradise, Arbor Elf + Stomping Ground + cards like Overgrowth would be good ramp sources.
@landofMordor Harsh Mentor is actually going to make the sideboard. Would be good against decks like affinity i think.
4 days ago
Have you considered the storm build that is pooping up in this archetype that uses Empty the Warrens and Manamorphose plus the rituals, it is slower than the zoo variant you are going for here but may be worth testing (it basically drops the extra token generation for storm pieces, it's and interesting idea.
Also, I would consider going Gruul or even Naya here as that gives you access to Wild Nacatl, a staple of the zoo archetype, you can accomplish this by playing Copperline Gorge and Stomping Ground, and then maybe aSacred Foundry or two, I find Wild Nacatl gives the deck more staying power as it can survive a bit longer if it doesn't win right away, just a thought even though this Bushwhacker build gets the job done.
I would also play a couple fetches mainboard as the combo here is such that you want to thin your deck if you can't go off turn one. I know some people don't agree with the concept of thinning but I think it is valid if you are not in agreement then cool.
6 days ago
Ok, after everyone's comments, here are my thoughts ...
GOOD MATCH-UPS (Bant Knightfall, UW Control, GBx Midrange, Jeskai Control, Death's Shadow): Mainboard is fine; no sideboard slots needed.
- Ancient Grudge, if I end up using some number of Trinisphere too.
- Ancient Grudge + Shatterstorm, if I don't use Trin'
- Obstinate Baloth (putting one back into the main) and Kitchen Finks (in the side)
- Maybe some Trinisphere.
- The more I think about it, the more I think Beast Within is the key. Say an opponent casts Scapeshift and sacrifices 7 Lands to fetch 6 Mountains (basics and non-basics) and a Valakut. All the Lands enter simultaneously and 6 Valakut triggers go on the stack. With the triggers on the stack, I kill a Mountain. The trigger from that Mountain will resolve and I'll take 3 damage. But the triggers from the other 5 Mountains fizzle, since "the ability will do nothing if [my opponent controls] fewer than 5 Mountains other than that new one by the time it resolves" (source).
- Beast Within is also superb against a resolved Primeval Titan.
- I might be able to catch an inexperienced pilot with Crumble to Dust, but an experienced pilot will wait until the last second (i.e., fetching them with Scapeshift) to play their Valakut. Crumble may still be worthwhile though ... partly for free wins against less experienced pilots, but mostly because hitting Stomping Ground will leave most decks with only 10 Mountains ... depending on the board state, that will often not be enough for lethal.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Engineered Explosives and Reclamation Sage to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
ELDRAZI AND Gx TRON:
- I'm excited to try Crumble to Dust here.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Ratchet Bomb, Nature's Claim, etc. to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
- Beast Within for Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies
- Anger of the Gods, for everything else.
- For Counters CoCo: Druid and Vizier demand answers. Renegade Rallier and Eternal Witness makes Exile effects much better.
- For Valuetown CoCo: 7x Manadorks, Ramunap Excavator, and Knight of the Reliquary complicate the Land Destruction plan.
- As with any White deck, I need to watch out for Blessed Alliance post-board. Burrenton Forge-Tender, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reclamation Sage and Qasali Pridemage could make an appearance as well.
- 3x Trinisphere to slow them down or Eidolon of the Great Revel to kill them
- 1x Anger of the Gods for Goblin Electromancer and Baral, Chief of Compliance
The bottom line (for now anyways) ...
Main: 1x Obstinate Baloth
6 days ago
Maybe I'm missing something, but the two decks I see on MTGgoldfish with Acidic Slime are the two I already mentioned (by adsav and Jon Elgan). The other two (by Andrew Black and abombdiggity) each had 2x Beast Within in the main.
But either way, I personally can't imagine playing Ponza without The Beast. I don't like it as a four-of at all (since it's pretty gross in an opening hand except vs. Liliana of the Veil). But somewhere between 2-3x has been almost perfect for my playstyle and meta (so far).
As far as what it hits? In just the last week or so, I've won matches after killing a Tarmogoyf, a Gurmag Angler, a Cranial Plating, a 4/4 Angel from a Geist of Saint Traft, and most notably a Spreading Seas (on my own Stomping Ground, which allowed me to cast Chandra, Torch of Defiance and then +1 her for mana and an Inferno Titan on the next turn). Sure, I might have won those matches anyways, and I might have won other matches if I'd had a different card in the slot. But it's earned at least 2 slots in my deck for sure.
Seriously, thanks tons though! I always appreciate the chance to relook a card with fresh eyes, especially as the meta evolves!
1 week ago
nevermind on the Stomping Ground. thought it was worded to say "damage"
1 week ago
another thing to note about Platinum Emperion is that even though you can't "pay life", you can still use it to negate damage to yourself with your own cards. for example you could "shock" into play a Stomping Ground and your life total won't change.