|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs Inventions (DDU)||None|
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
When Trophy Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 3, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (25)||Chandelier , voidruby , Snydog17 , frederiklw , Espi14 , Supremespeed , rainbowofdeath , Jpegwun , TheRealPeaches , pskinn01 , damo_rox , Shiromakuro , TThors , Dsmonsta , rikertchu , nakni , buildingadeck , gildan_bladeborn , zachi , timmyb , Borg0th , PTsmitty , bakeraj4 , Bluboltar , releasethedogs|
|Want (3)||Dr.Jackel , Jose_Arrogantio , GoodestBoi|
Trophy Mage Discussion
1 day ago
The section on mana ramp is spot on. I would add a not about the new Mox Amber but it isn't as good as other options. Both Vessel of Endless Rest and Commander's Sphere are searchable with Trophy Mage which can be an extra point in their favor.
Under card draw you have Induced Amnesia twice.
Cloudform and Lightform I can never sing the prais to highly on these in Brago. Manifesting the top of the library then returning it face up later if it's a permanent is amazing value. Of the two Cloudform is better but they are both good.
Champion of Wits is a great way to cycle through your deck and can come back as a 4/4 token if it is in the grave.
Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign can make sphinx tribal work.
Fall of the Thran is the best Armageddon we have ever had in my mind. Every turn we can destroy all lands and during ours we get two back. I might change my mind after more testing but it has helped me win every fnm I took it too since it's release.
4 days ago
If you're going to play Protean Hulk, I would highly recommend playing either Starved Rusalka or Drowned Rusalka. It lets you Flash hulk into rusalka + Karmic Guide, bringing back hulk and providing a sac outlet for him so you can do something like fetch Saffi Eriksdotter+ Trophy Mage who in turn gets Blasting Station. Outside ofthat, it just provides value which is only ok, but having it provide a direct line to your win condition (albeit requiring additional mana) makes it much better.
1 week ago
I'm pretty sure that Trophy Mage doesn't make it into this build due to space reasons. Its only target is Cloudstone Curio, so there isn't much value in being able to bounce it a number of times. I think its potential card slot was given to Fabricate, which you have to pay the full 3 mana for but offers a far wider range of tutor targets. I would argue that Fabricate contributes more to deck consistency than Trophy Mage would, but I can certainly picture lines of play that would appreciate having the mage in the deck.
While this is only my subjective experience, I've found Walking Ballista to be a higher priority tutor target than Cloudstone Curio in most games. I don't see Cloudstone Curio that often because my usual lines of play and tutor chains completely bypass it. I would never take it out of the deck, but more often than not I find it to be a "Nice if I get it, but don't necessarily need it," card. It's generally a Plan C option for me.
1 week ago
Regardless of the CMC3, Trophy Mage offers a tutor for one of the most important cards in the deck. JMCraigs Animar build doesn't revolve as much around Cloudstone Curio as Animar, Soul of Combos - Turn 3 Win does.
Personally, I'm cutting Dryad Arbor as it offers zero benefit for Animar.
1 week ago
@IamSpeeding I think you might be misreading Trophy Mage. Trophy Mage only tutors for artifacts that have an exact CMC of 3. So it can tutor for Cloudstone Curio, but it can't get any of the cheaper artifacts in the deck.
1 week ago
Pabs4444 Also Trophy Mage only fetches a specific to 3 drop. 2 drop and 4 drop would be most times more useful than any of my 3 drops. Also it's not an artifact or historic body or support that interaction so I'd say nay on him. I'd find Glint-Nest Crane more useful being able to fetch any artifact out of top 4 than only a 3 drop. Also he's a flying defensive body.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds