|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors (DDU)||None|
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
When Trophy Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 3, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (30)||Chandelier , voidruby , Snydog17 , frederiklw , Espi14 , Supremespeed , rainbowofdeath , WunderlichDrums , TheRealPeaches , damo_rox , Shiromakuro , Dsmonsta , rikertchu , nakni , TThors , buildingadeck , agardels , gildan_bladeborn , AllDayTayTay , zachi , teslacoil7992 , mazrimtaim , timmyb , Borg0th , releasethedogs , itheoryz , PTsmitty , rockleemyhero , bakeraj4 , Bluboltar|
|Want (34)||snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , buildingadeck , BarkingDog , Dr.Jackel , angesoir , kvfd1719 , eastly , blzrby , Druidyczny , Jose_Arrogantio , ryaniskool , mini_tb , sybert1ger , shootersam12 , GreySeaJones , appledog , CaptianClueless , AlphaTDog , GoodestBoi , Bushtastic3 , xxwolfsrainxx , tybaltbs , Kurush , xander025 , Hakira , reimannsum , Cherzthor , SimonM9d , Kogan1911 , coadster , fast313 , brutusq13 , AntiheroFOREVER , BallZniffer|
Trophy Mage Discussion
10 hours ago
Basalt Monolith and Rings of Brighthearth would really help for an infinite mana combo, then if you're running those two, I would recommend two of each, you can put in a few Trophy Mages to pull them from your deck.
2 days ago
- Trophy Mage with this current deck list can only pull Commander's Sphere
- Land base needs some serious work. Bounce lands are bad. Watch this.
- Show and Tell is almost never going to pay off since the only cards you really want to use it for are Omniscience or Avacyn, Angel of Hope
- Drop the Teferi, Timebender
- Intruder Alarm might be something you can do crazy things with Prodigal Sorcerer
- Rhystic Study and Solemn Simulacrum are auto includes.
5 days ago
Artifact support is great; you can use Tezzeret as another finisher if you have enough artifacts and you can also add Whir of Invention as another great tutor. Speaking of Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth combo, imo it’s not worth it in this particular deck because you are forced to make some changes (i.e. Trophy Mage comes with them in a package), so the combo can fit and you are still missing a reliable sink, in this case Walking Ballista, to use it as a game closer.
Have you considered of going dimir? Oona would be quite similar of what you want to do, it could use combo mentioned earlier very well and can win the game on spot even without casting her prevously. Not to mention that you’d be adding black to your blue and that’s a thing that I don’t have to explain to you :)
2 weeks ago
@clayperce Thanks for the great input! I have been really leaning towards putting in a single copy of Sulfur Falls & Drowned Catacomb (because i dont own any fetches) for a bit now; but haven't quite decided what to cut to make room for them (maybe cut 2x Grixis Grimblade?)... Trophy Mage is definitely a good tool to consider; although Im trying to keep this deck fun/interactive and avoid having this deck just loot/tutor for the Cruel Ultimatum combo... ill keep workin with it thanks again!
2 weeks ago
A couple thoughts ...
- Trophy Mage, maybe? I honestly have no idea if the card would be any better than your current dig spells, but it's probably worth a look anytime a CMC3 Artifact is a key part of the deck.
- I have not playtested this except for a couple goldfish games, but 20 Lands seems very light. Sure, it's a Sorcery-speed deck, so you probably don't need the 25 Lands of 'normal' Cruel Control. But even if we totally ignore the 7- and 8-drops, the average CMC (as I type this) is 1.91, which would suggest 22 Lands (source: the table at the bottom of this article by Hall of Famer Frank Karsten).
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Neat idea. Glad to see you embracing the glass cannon nature of the deck. You could try Whir of Invention since it finds 3/4ths of the combo. Trinket Mage finds 2/4ths of it and Trophy Mage finds 1/4th. Not saying you should definitely run all these cards- just some tutors to consider so you can find the combo faster/more reliably. If you're on the mill-them-out plan with altar, you could also consider Pact of Negation in the main or side. Since you don't plan on having a next upkeep you don't have to worry about the downside, it's just free combo protection.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun!
3 weeks ago
I have considered Steelshaper's Gift as well as Trophy Mage and I agree the ability to tutor out the pieces does make it feel much closer to "Stoneblade" but the only reason I did not put in at the moment is because while I can tutor the equipment, I most likely would not be able to get them into play quick enough or have a creature to utilize them. But I agree, that tutors are very good. I'll place it into "maybe" for now, maybe eventually putting atleast 1 in main.