|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Welcome Deck 2017 (W17)||Rare|
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Beast
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
You may cast the top card of your library if it's a creature card. (Do this only any time you could cast that creature card. You still pay the spell's costs.)
|Have (7)||miracle , bakeraj4 , Thunderbeard , sonnet666 , GeminiSpartanX , metalmagic , jecder|
|Want (2)||Tomagotchi , Aragon_Neotrix|
Garruk's Horde Discussion
1 month ago
You are putting upon yourself a very dangerous restriction, so u need A LOT OF card advantage.
Here some suggestions:
Need some kind of protection too:
And to finish the game a one card combo
2 months ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
2 months ago
2 months ago
pack halt noch Primal Surge , Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger , Ruric Thar, the Unbowed , Gruul Ragebeast , Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma , Garruk's Horde , Thunderfoot Baloth , Molten Primordial , Ghalta, Primal Hunger , Warstorm Surge , Garruk's Packleader , Hellkite Charger , Hydra Broodmaster und so stuff rein
3 months ago
_Delta_ I cut Myojin of Infinite Rage , Carnage Tyrant , Splendid Reclamation , Sekki, Seasons' Guide , Ramunap Excavator , Garruk's Horde , and Praetor's Counsel . I have a sneaky suspicion that you suggested quite a few of those because of the "land destruction" flavor which really doesn't fit the overall theme of the deck. I can see cutting the mana-dorks...but I might add in Arbor Elf .
3 months ago
Hello, I thought I would lend a hand as much as I can for now. I will try to help more later tonight when i'm done with school/work. These cards below represent what I think you should cut, unfortunately however I don't have the time to write out in detail why I think all of these 13 cards should be cut currently, but I'm sure you can figure out some and I can try to explain these choices more later if need be.
Myojin of Infinite Rage , Carnage Tyrant , Yeva, Nature's Herald , Splendid Reclamation , Sekki, Seasons' Guide , Ramunap Excavator , Garruk's Horde , Lifeline , Zhur-Taa Druid , Praetor's Counsel , Radha, Heir to Keld , Leyline of Lifeforce , and Loaming Shaman .
As I have said, I will try to be of help later on when I can, but I do hope for now some of this is of help to you!
3 months ago
Since Nikya is your commander, you can play 12 mana creatures the turn after he comes out, and that's impressive. Here's a few budget options. Ancient Stone Idol , Darksteel Colossus , Desolation Twin , Pathrazer of Ulamog , Artisan of Kozilek , Ulamog's Crusher , It That Betrays , Primeval Protector . Some other fun cards are hydras like Heroes' Bane , Polukranos, World Eater , and Primordial Hydra .
3 months ago
How much of a budget do you have?
Some cards off the bat that can be considered:
Big Dummies on budget:
Interaction on budget:
Fun Mayael Cards on budget:
Now to some cards you can consider to cut:
- Garruk's Horde
- Zhur-Taa Ancient
- Vengeful Archon
- Trolls of Tel-Jilad
- Warp World
- Titanic Ultimatum
Hope that helps!
Garruk's Horde occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%