|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Premium Deck Series: Slivers (PDS)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells.
|Have (4)||goodair , metljoe , gosora , Forkbeard|
|Want (8)||pewpewlaserz , Redmax185 , zk9790 , Aragon_Neotrix , whitethunder8101 , Lambda_Sliver , freeze0583261 , Chevnsoki|
Ancient Ziggurat Discussion
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
### Out Ancient Ziggurat , Bojuka Bog , Boseiju, Who Shelters All , Strip Mine , Temple of the False God , Concealed Courtyard , Overwhelming Denial , Memnite , Merieke Ri Berit , Crucible of Worlds , Silverskin Armor , True Conviction , Spear of Heliod & Paradise Mantle
### In Polluted Delta , Swamp , Spire of Industry , Mana Confluence , Academy Ruins , Mana Drain , Arcane Denial , Cryptic Command , Kami of the Crescent Moon , Master of the Feast , Dictate of Kruphix , Gitaxian Probe , Preordain , Cyclonic Rift & Brainstorm
3 weeks ago
Ohh and a very old but deadly card Mercy Killing !
1 month ago
2 months ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
2 months ago
You can add in Cryptolith Rite for another way to have your slivers to tap for mana. Other than that, 5 color mana base is pretty hard. I would say since you are going for a budget land base, you can replace all your guildgates with the tri-color lands like Arcane Sanctum , Seaside Citadel , Jungle Shrine , Crumbling Necropolis , Savage Lands , Mystic Monastery , Nomad Outpost , Sandsteppe Citadel , Opulent Palace , and Frontier Bivouac . At least they will add an additional color in comparison with the guild gates. For budget multi-color lands there are lands like Exotic Orchard and Forbidden Orchard that are decent. Unclaimed Territory , Path of Ancestry , Cascading Cataracts , Sliver Hive , Ancient Ziggurat , and Mirrodin's Core can be some options for a decent 5 color mana base.
Hope that helps!
2 months ago
Grim Monolith ain't modern legal, bro, sorry.
Also, Ancient Ziggurat ? I think it would be a whole lot better to just run basics, (though pretty much any utility land would be even better.)
2 months ago
Speaking of her first ability, you may want some sacrifice outlets in order to get rid of Nikya once you draw a win condition like Primal Surge or Tooth and Nail. Bloodshot Cyclops is one hilarious way to do it, and there's also good old High Market
You really aren't running that many centaurs or druids, so losing tempo by having Path of Ancestry come in tapped isn't that worth it. A good replacement might be Ancient Ziggurat because you don't care about noncreature spells that much
Ancient Ziggurat occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.07%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%