|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Does an "elder dragon" count as a "dragon"?
- Does Dragon Tempest Trigger when Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker activates his +1 to become a dragon?
- Destroying Dragon Tempest When a Dragon Enters.
- Dragon tempest out, play serra ascendant with 30+ life. Does it have haste?
- Dragon Tempest and Descent of the Dragons
Whenever a creature with flying enters the battlefield under your control, it gains haste until end of turn.
Whenever a Dragon enters the battlefield under your control, it deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of Dragons you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (24)||ironax , bakeraj4 , Wolfebladeelite , brokendwarf , MythicWinter111 , , carsickpanda273 , accioali , Ellyreia , sonnet666 , Nemesis , TheAlmostHero , , Friedrice24 , Daddy1ong1egs13 , Regulus1010 , Snydog17 , joshw335 , CampbellStev , MattN7498 , Tiddilywinkus , JAT0 , , golgarigirl|
Dragon Tempest Discussion
8 hours ago
2 days ago
I recommend running both Dragon Tempest and Temur Ascendancy as Temur Ascendancy is remarkably better than Elemental Bond. Also you don't need Crucible of Fire or Obelisk of Urd. Your dragons are already 4, 5, and 6 power and that's more than most other creatures.
3 days ago
I JUST FOUND THE BEST CARD!!! Use The Ur-Dragon. A good creature is Scion of the Ur-Dragon because you can get black return to hand spells like Disentomb to get them without drawing them. AND you get that dragon for one turn! Something like Dragonlord's Servant is Dragonspeaker Shaman only its even better. Tons of Dragon Tempest triggers would be Archwing Dragon.
4 days ago
Hey mollycat, it mus be really fun to play Karrthus with all these Ur-Dragon decks going around!
I would slip in around 3-6 more lands, concentrating on , but otherwise your manabase looks pretty good.
As the others have said, it is probably not worth keeping the token generation in, as the cards that interact with it are few, however, if you tutor them they can be worthwhile.
Mana ramp is really important in a high cost deck like yours, you have 6 cards that get you mana, but adding a few more is important. Cheap (but effective) cards are Darksteel Ingot, Gruul Signet, Rakdos Signet, Golgari Signet, Rampant Growth, Cultivate, and Myriad Landscape. I recommend putting in at least 3 or 4 cards like this to speed up your early game.
Fires of Yavimaya doesn't do much for you, since your Commander already gives your Dragons haste. I would swap it out for Dragon Tempest if you still need haste that deals bonus damage. Scourge of Valkas also deals a lot of damage based on dragons you control.
5 days ago
Ramp:All the examples that were given before were very good choices, but I would also recommend Nature's Lore and Skyshroud Claim, as these can search for non-basic Forests, such as the Shocks and so on, right from the get go! I would also highly recommend getting a Chromatic Lantern to help with mana fixing! The Lantern is insanely useful and needed for anything more then 2 colours, of which Karrthus definitely falls under. Zendikar Resurgent is another great example of mana ramp, though it's more late game, and it also allows you to draw cards from casting creatures. Also look into Shaman of Forgotten Ways as mana ramp and an extra win con, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds for tons of ramp, and Solemn Simulacrum.
Land Base:Absolutely, you desperately need some more lands! Because of the CMC of dragons and alot of the creatures you are using, you will want anywhere from 37-39 lands! You may have some issues with the deck since, as many have said already, your mana base is very very slow. Fetches, whether you get the fast fetches or the slow fetches, you need some of those. You should also get some of the Shocks and Checks, since those will absolutely speed your game up a ton!
Card Draw/Advantage:othermax gave some amazing suggestions there, so I won't really go in depth here. Since you are playing some big creatures, look into Rishkar's Expertise and Soul's Majesty, both very good draw spells for a deck with bigger creatures. Another couple of cards to start churning things out would be Lurking Predators and Selvala's Stampede, though many aren't a fan of the Stampede since it gives your opponents choices, but this card has never failed to help me kill at least 1 person.
Removal:This may depend on your meta, but many of the choices given by othermax are very good, though I'm unsure if you want to do a Dragon tribal deck or not, but another choice you are gonna want to look into would be Chaos Warp and Vandalblast, both very good and strong removal spells. For board wipes, you seem like you are good to an extent, but maybe look into Toxic Deluge, Life's Finale and Decree of Pain.
Creatures:You do have an interesting creature base, though I am rather unsure about the Lord of the Void being there, but that is on you. If you are wanting to build more Dragon Tribal based, here are some good ones for you: Scourge of Kher Ridges (Has built in board wipes for fliers and non-fliers), Knollspine Dragon (Discard your hand and draw a bunch of cards), Balefire Dragon (insanely powerful dragon that can wipe an opponent's board, Steel Hellkite (artifact dragon that can remove permanents), Scourge of the Throne (extra combat step if attacking person with most health), Hellkite Tyrant (if you have artifact decks, this can legitimately win you the game), Scourge of Valkas (Will throw damage around based on number of dragons each time a dragon enters the battlefield (Dragon Tempest does this, but also gives fliers haste)), Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury (pumps attacking creatures +1/+0 for each attacking dragon), Taurean Mauler (low casting cost creature that grows based on spells cast by opponents) and Dragonlord Atarka (can take out Planeswalkers and other things). Some other utility creatures are Xenagos, God of Revels (pump single creature, and gives haste) and Nylea, God of the Hunt (gives all creatures trample).
5 days ago
Ok ok so, i have a commander deck with Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund as the commander. The deck itself has functioned pretty well up until recently, i have been getting completely rekt early game. Do keep in mind i have not been playing long and do not have a great understanding of cards or of a good build, in fact this is the first deck i have ever built. All i really need help with is early game because dinos have been destroying me as of late. The deck is built as follows:i have no clue what im doing dragons
1 week ago
Hey there! Cool Dragon deck you have here! I have some comments for you:
- First of all, your mana base looks a little low on lands. I would recommend going up to around 24 lands or so. Also, if you have the money, I would recommend investing in some dual-lands that enter the battlefield untapped sometimes, like Rootbound Crag, Cinder Glade, or Karplusan Forest. This isn't necessary by any means, though, so feel free to just add a couple basics and move on with your life :)
- As I mentioned earlier, I would recommend cutting most of your 1-ofs. I would recommend picking 1-3 really powerful dragons, and running 2-3 copies of each, rather than 1-2 copies of 9 different dragons. Here are the ones I would cut: Archwing Dragon, Destructor Dragon, Harbinger of the Hunt, Hunted Dragon, Lightning Shrieker, and Siege Dragon.
- I would instead run 2 Atarka, World Render, 3 Foe-Razer Regent, and 3 Savage Ventmaw.
- Thunderbreak Regent is an amazing card here. 4 mana for a 4/4 flying dragon with upside is fantastic.
- Elvish Mystic is probably better ramp than Voyaging Satyr, so I would replace the 4 Satyrs with 3 Mystics. If you really want the access to red mana, and you decide to go with Cinder Glades as your additional nonbasics, Arbor Elf is also an option (Cinder Glade is technically a Forest).
- Overgrowth is also probably better than Greenweaver Druid, because the Druid is so fragile. A 1/1 will die to any removal spell, while an enchantment will just sit around on your land making you mana.
- While this may not be easy to understand, Crucible of Fire doesn't really do much. If you have three or four dragons being pumped by it, you're probably winning already. This is what we call a "win-more" card, and you can read more about why they're not great for your deck here if you'd like.
- Dragon Tempest, on the other hand, is really good here. It should be your primary source of removal, so I'd replace the three Bathe in Dragonfires with Dragon Tempests, flavorful though they may be.
- Guild Feud and Ulvenwald Tracker also don't do a lot. Sure, the Tracker is good removal, but you have better removal. Guild Feud lets you get dragons out, but you can already get dragons out for 6 mana. I'd cut both of them.
If you make all of these changes, your deck might look a little something like this: Sarkhan's Dragons 2.0. I'll be sure to leave it up for at least a couple weeks if you'd like.
I'm a huge fan of green/red ramp-style decks, so it's always fun for me to see a new Dragon player out there :)
In any case, good luck!