Return of the Wildspeaker
Choose one —
- Draw cards equal to the greatest power among non-Human creatures you control.
- Non-Human creatures you control get +3/+3 until end of turn.
|Have (2)||, Taki117|
|Want (4)||Rabu , TechnicalSaturn , chrra , edislosic|
Printings View all
|Throne of Eldraine (ELD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Return of the Wildspeaker Discussion
1 day ago
Ok, Profet93, here we go on some card evaluation.
Bag of Holding : I've had this card actually do good work for me. Having the mana up to activate it usually isn't a problem, and it's easy to dump a bunch of lands in a turn, get the back, and dump them again. It's fun, and I like it, so I'll probably be keeping it. That, and getting as many effects to return chunks of discarded lands to my hand is good for this deck.
Grafted Exoskeleton : I could live without it. I thought that it would help provide another quick win condition towards the end of a game, but I think a better fit would be something like Illusionist's Bracers , which would double up the activations.
Horizon Spellbomb : Most likely was put in there as a low-budget option in the original list, and could probably be upgraded. It's low CMC, gets ammo into the hand, and can draw a card to replace itself. But it's easy to live without.
Summer Bloom : This one stays. Running this many lands, it doesn't whiff.
Rites of Spring : Open to suggestions.
Mulch : It's ok. I usually hit at least 2 lands with it, but I admit I could replace it.
Beneath the Sands : Gets one land, or draws a card, so it's never dead. But it could be better. Open to suggestions.
I do have some thoughts on adding some more draw/ramp, but I'm staying budget here, so no Exploration , Burgeoning , Oracles or that other stupid expensive elf. I'm thinking along the lines of Mina and Denn, Wildborn , Font of Mythos , Llanowar Scout , Sakura-Tribe Scout , and things like this. I do believe I will splurge for a copy of Life from the Loam .
As for card draw spells, I want to shy away from sacrificing BoBo to get the effect, since his CMC is so high to start with. Return of the Wildspeaker will be good, but more is needed. May have to get another copy of Rishkar's Expertise , and also Keen Sense . I plan on adding Creeping Renaissance , too.
These are my thoughts so far, and I'm open to other suggestions, too. Thanks for all the help!
pokey, those are good points, and worth considering, but I don't know how much I'll net land cards through his damage trigger. Wheel effects might be worth considering, though, so thank you for those suggestions!
2 days ago
All good suggestions, Profet93. Some of them I have been considering, but some are new ones that might be worth looking at. I might look at adding Return of the Wildspeaker instead of Rishkar's Expertise , as there might not be much in the deck to really gain from the latter half of Rishkar's spell. Bolt Bend is very interesting.
Now, the question would be, what to start cutting? This deck obviously wants to run lots of lands, and needs to get lands to the hand and into play in order to ramp and have ammo for when BoBo hits the board. So I've got to be careful in cutting the land tutor cards.
2 days ago
No joke on Oracle of Mul Daya . It needs a reprint, badly, and there is no reason to not reprint it...(cough, cough, secondary market, cough, cough).
3 days ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
3 days ago
I thought it was initially a budget build and you wanted any upgrade. Got you. So with budget ideas in mind....
- Eternal Witness - Recursion
- Reclamation Sage - Removal
- Beast Within - Permanent Removal
- Return of the Wildspeaker - Draw
- Decimate - 4x for 1 Removal, very powerful
- Escape to the Wilds - Can be nice, 5 mana is a lot but it reads until the end of your next turn which is useful. Extra land drop can't hurt.
- Ramunap Excavator - To replay lands from the grave
- Thaumatic Compass Flip/Journey's Kite - Extra land drops
- Blighted Woodland - Ramp
- Reliquary Tower - To hold onto extra cards
- Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar - Allows you to return lands back, I'm sure there are other cards such as Mina and Den who can do the same. This is budget and can be a beater. Reach is nice.
- Realms Uncharted - Basically reads get 2 lands
- Harmonize - Stable draw
It sucks to be budget since you lose out on so many good cards, most importantly crucible and life from the loam.
5 days ago
A few thoughts:
Looks like the core of the deck is solid -- lots of ways to move lands between GY and hand.
However, cards like Splendid Reclamation confuse me a bit -- what are you going to do with 18 lands on the battlefield? To this end, I'd suggest maybe some X spells over what you have now -- Nylea's Intervention , maybe Squall Line and/or Earthquake . Or just cut the win-more aspects of mana generation (Dictate of Karametra, etc) altogether for more lands! I think you want to be at around 55-60 lands for this type of deck.
Put in Return of the Wildspeaker over Souls Majesty for $$ reasons (:
My favorite tech in here is Storm Cauldron and Overabundance. Both are super sweet!
You may also consider cutting some of those Naturalize variants, since I'm not sure they'll be needed. The only targets this deck cares about are Leyline of Sanctity effects, which are rare in our meta.
1 week ago
Return of the Wildspeaker , Prime Speaker Zegana , Rishkar's Expertise , Rush of Knowledge , Shamanic Revelation , Finale of Revelation , Praetor's Council, Feed , Soul's Majesty , Colossal Majesty , Elemental Bond , Guardian Project are good at drawing cards in this deck.
Your deck wants to ramp heavily, try adding a balance of early game ramp that costs 2-4 CMC and late game ramp that costs 5+ CMC, some good early ramp options include Farseek , Rampant Growth , Grow from the Ashes , Skyshroud Claim , Circuitous Route , Myriad Landscape , Burgeoning , Blighted Woodland . Good late game ramp options are Traverse the Outlands , Boundless Realms . Since your commander is CMC 4 you want any 1 or 2 CMC ramp to get it out on turn 3 at the latest but after that artifact ramp is much more fragile than land ramp so try to avoid it.
Note that Simic Guildgate is a good addition if you include Circuitous Route.
Fierce Empath can tutor any of your giant creatures.
Lurking Predators can make it really scary for opponents to play any spells.
With enough ramp, X spells can be particularly impactful, Finale of Devastation can search for any creature and it's not hard to get X=10+ to win the game, Genesis Wave is one of the premier green X spells,
Freed from the Real and Pemmin's Aura both create infinite with your commander. It's your choice if you want to include these cards though, they're not for every playgroup and don't fit the theme of your deck.
Here is the gatherer search for sea monsters there are enough of them that you should be able to have all of your sea monsters have some impact on the board, there are also some that might be better than the ones you currently have.