|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
Whenever Hellkite Charger attacks, you may pay . If you do, untap all attacking creatures and after this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (31)||ironax , bakeraj4 , Kimimaro , mentor6 , joshw335 , mcstang1986 , GoldGhost012 , , jstn.mrrtt , Wolfebladeelite , Unjust_DiabIo , sonnet666 , johnsongrantr , angesoir , DarkMagician , , damo_rox , chrishuffman95 , rikertchu , KingOfGrixis , Epidilius , MattN7498 , mziter501 , itheoryz , Pumpkinking913 , golgarigirl , CampbellStev , saj0219 , Bluboltar , Suns_Champion , silvereh|
|Want (17)||Aldolain , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , kovellen , zomburs , GS10 , linejumpr , ElCamino , richardmv , darthnuchi , ohreamsy , akahele_ehu , afeuling , ztanos , Riders_of_Brohan , titaniumturtlex , Talonisnthavingit , MasterRoach117|
Hellkite Charger Discussion
4 hours ago
If you want to make it a little more competitive, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker can go potentially infinite with Combat Celebrant and Zealous Conscripts. Neheb can also go infinite with Hellkite Charger similar to Aggravated Assault.
2 days ago
1) I had Scourge of the Throne in the deck, but would notice a couple problems. It says "for the first time each turn" which makes it sort of redundant or void if someone were to want to go infinite with it instead. I did play it instead of Hellkite Charger, but figured that Bear Umbra would help it go infinite should I have the mana open or hope it would survive until the next turn. Many people don't consider Hellkite Charger and Bear Umbra anyway. Secondly, I have had moments where, believe it or not, I had the highest life total of the table despite the Mana Vault, Mana Crypt and Sylvan Library, etc...
2) While I can appreciate the hexproof on Siege Behemoth, I don't actually have much problems in regards to single spot removal in my meta as much as I tend to deal with boardwipes and just straight up counters. Also, the cost of 7 mana is not really what I am looking for to deal 14 damage when I am looking for ways to kill at that point. I have focused more on trample as the main method to get damage through in the deck.
3) Traverse the Outlands would seem astounding in my deck until I noticed that my deck's curve just isn't that high. Cards like Malignus, Putrefax, Phyrexian Juggernaut, and Hydra Omnivore are already lower costing creatures for EDH/Commander that are made to kill with Xenagos, God of Revels and they merely cost 5 or 6.
4) Kessig Wolf Run is in there, because how could I not? The missing keyword on the general is clearly trample, so it is necessary to get the damage through.
5) I might consider Garruk, Primal Hunter again. I had taken it out because I did have higher costing green creatures like Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof Behemoth and Worldspine Wurm. Those high-costing green creatures had since been taken out for more ways to cheat creatures into play like Survival of the Fittest, Sneak Attack, Fauna Shaman and Elvish Piper
6) I have a relatively high land count in part for consistency. I want to be able to get to 5 as quick as possible but still as reliably as possible, even if I don't have the greatest of opening hands. I also have a lot of ramp that relies on having plenty of land in the hand as well, so the relatively higher amount of land does matter when I am playing Lotus Cobra, Oracle of Mul Daya, Burgeoning, Exploration and Mina and Denn, Wildborn
1 week ago
I think you'll want something like Fervor to ensure that your new cats can attack, which will making a gradual damage ramp effect for your "pain train."
AA and HC are most likely better if you want to cheese your way into infinite combat steps; with a handful of mana producing creatures like Birds of Paradise, Sylvan Caryatid, or simply birding your entire team with Cryptolith Rite, you will attack until everyone dies.
FotH is also a nice include when you need to eek out an extra combat, but you can't quite pay for another with your AA or HC.
All in all, I love the concept. Punishing people with Wasitora is certainly a worthy cause.
3 weeks ago
I'm not sure what your feelings on combos are, but Aggravated Assault and Hellkite Charger both go infinite with Radha and enough creatures. I think the deck could also use a couple more early drops to generate mana with Radha. Lotus Cobra seems neat for its ability to generate mana on its own and with Radha. I also kind of like Nest Invader for this purpose.
Some things that I'm not sold on: Dragon Arch with only 12 targets feels like it'll be pretty dead a lot of the time. Fossil Find, while a sweet card, feels like most of the time won't get you back something relevant for the current situation. I think your Isochron Scepter package is sweet, but am not sure if 5 targets is enough to justify it. It feels like a lot of the time you'll have the scepter sitting in your hand with no target. That being said, if you can get any of those targets on it, it should be a pretty hilarious game. Rosheen Meanderer also feels kind of bad with only 3 x-spells to cast.
Overall, it's a sweet deck with lots of cool and janky choices, but I think you may be trying to go in too many directions with it. Try to pick a couple key things you want the deck to do, and cut the other packages to focus on the chosen one.
3 weeks ago
Coward_Token: I found a less janky way of endless combat steps with Primal Surge, just roll out Grand Warlord Radha + Savage Ventmaw + Aggravated Assault (cheaper) or Hellkite Charger (expensive) + any haste source + enough creatures to pay for extra attack steps. Some cards that might show up along the way can help protect the attackers such as Vigor, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Cauldron of Souls. You can also get enough mana to recast Squee, the Immortal as sacrifice fodder and/or tap Feldon of the Third Path to get "endless" copies of pretty much any non-legendary creature in the graveyard, for example fun stuff like It That Betrays to really hammer down that victory.
Although it's most likely a guaranteed win if Primal Surge resolves, I'd probably not like to make the deck tutor it up and cast it consistently because it'd turn boring quickly for everyone.
1 month ago
What I've found, for all it's power, if I draw it later/late in the game, it usually has very little impact, opposed to something like a Teferi's Protection as you suggested. Also, Flying is pretty good evasion on it's own, often don't need to pull back an attack, also, A/D/D are big there isn't many unfavorable block situations they get into anyway.
For me the key isn't survive-ability of Kaalia of the Vast its about Haste / Shroud/Hexproof / Grand Abolisher to resolve an early Iona, Shield of Emeria or Razaketh, the Foulblooded, etc, because if she never survives long enough to attack, Reconnaissance can't save her. So I guess, my thinking is, once she's attacked, she's done what I needed, so have less of a care factor as to what happens to her afterwards.
I do play more of a Combo Kaalia of the Vast strategy though, If I was playing an Infinite attack phases / Damage to win, I would need more favorable blocks and Vigilance with combos like:
1 month ago
Hi! Since you said you aren't very familiar with old cards I'll just throw out a couple, that usually would go in a tribal/gishath deck and let you decide which way to go.
The fight mechanic is greens only creature removal, so you can keep a few, maybe consider Chaos Warp, Thrashing Brontodon Bane of Progress or any other stuff that can deal with enchantments/artifact. Also I think you need a bit more lands. Most of the deck run between 32-40, I put 36 in mine, but I run around 8-10 ramps and like 5+ draw in every deck I have. For 30 lands i think people run a very different deck than yours and possibly play broken stuff like Mana Crypt. If you really want to keep the enrage theme then the best way to do it is with Caltrops or Pyrohemia, as they provide constant effect, compared to say Rile's one-time use.
These are the cards I could come up with for now, hope they will be of some use to you. Happy deckbuilding! :)
1 month ago
IAmTheWraith: They were stand-ins for an actual manabase. I've fixed that now.
Chaostrash: Hmmm. I do like Garna, but she's a LOT of mana to hold up for responses in a deck that's essentially combo-focussed. I'd rather run Shared Animosity over Marton Stromgald (it doesn't have to attack to have its effect), and Kindred Discovery scares me here. When going infinite, I could definitely deck myself by accident with this card. I run it to great effect in my The Locust God list, but I don't think it fits here. (Mindblade Render has the same issue, but she comes down early enough that she's hopefully dead by the time the combo goes off.)
Winterblast: I do technically have 5 colors, but I don't have enough money to make the landbase reliable - definitely not reliable enough to run T1 blue spells. The deck is currently a Naya deck with a very minor splash, and for the moment I'd like to keep it this way. I tagged this list as "competitive" because it is meant to combo off on T4-5, but I don't have the truly strong combo cards (particularly tutors). It's "competitive" at most EDH tables, but certainly not cEDH and not as competitive as some of my other lists.
VoidXDragon: Ehhh, sure. Why not?
Thank you all for your comments!