Magus of the Wheel
Creature — Human Wizard
(1), Tap, Sacrifice Magus of the Wheel: Each player discards his or her hand and draws seven cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||Justinaut , Clawsun73 , Vasbear1 , Fullmetalmage , Swamy , mziter501 , Gabeph , Forkbeard , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Azdranax , Dr_Jay , Enivid , Venser_the_Sojoner|
|Want (2)||pskinn01 , Ariumlegion|
Magus of the Wheel Discussion
12 hours ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
1 day ago
ay.lobo I've changed Goblin Offensive for Magus of the Wheel because having another wheel effect proved to be really strong, but im still thinking about changing Thatcher Revolt for Magus of the Moon because it takes out the value of my land cards like Ancient Tomb or Boseiju, Who Shelters All. So yeah the tokens don't stay on board but at least i deal 6 damage - 9 with impact tremors - 12 with panharmonicon- +3 extra damage if they attack and i could also sacrifice them or use Skullclamp on them for draw or even i could Divergent Transformations 2 of the tokens to get more creatures out or i could use Descent of the Dragons or Mogg Infestation on them.
2 days ago
Opps, I meant Thatcher Revolt. That card can be pushed out with reasons already mentioned. Cards I would put in are already in your maybe board: Magus of the Moon and Magus of the Wheel. Great cards that can benefit both your strength as a mono-red player, and your weakness with draw power.
2 weeks ago
Combo: Basilisk Collar combos with Furnace of Rath and Heartless Hidetsugu for insta-killing everyone. Life gain on other creatures is helpful. Library of Leng is awesome with wheel effects, it lets you keep the cards you want!
Card Advantage: Sunbird's Invocation provides needed card advantage for monoreds. Etali, Primal Storm, Loreseeker's Stone, Seer's Sundial, Arch of Orazca, Sea Gate Wreckage, Magus of the Wheel, Memory Jar, Gamble, Mizzix's MasteryI really think Wheel of Fortune is worth it.
Ramp: Thran Dynamo, Worn Powerstone, Ancient Tomb, Sisay's Ring, Crystal Vein, Dreamstone Hedron, Foriysian Totem, Gauntlet of Power, Gilded Lotus, Koth of the Hammer, maybe Mana Flare on the big turn/finisher
3 weeks ago
Magus of the Wheel - could be useful because it can get multiple uses
4 weeks ago
Necropotence isn't for you since you'll have to discard to handsize if you can't play it all on the end step. I'd rather go for cards like Wheel of Fortune Magus of the Wheel and Reforge the Soul and the like. It'll fill up your hand and disrupt your opponents plands.
1 month ago
The cards changed were:
1 month ago
I will be replacing Wheel of Fortune with Magus of the Wheel. It's targetable by Imperial Recruiter and recurrable with Feldon of the Third Path and Mimic Vat; not to mention Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Splinter Twin.