Creature — Dragon
: Destroy target artifact. Hoard-Smelter Dragon gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is that artifact's converted mana cost.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (4)||psycocat , PooChooTrain , Boat , Galvain|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Hoard-Smelter Dragon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Hoard-Smelter Dragon Discussion
2 months ago
Made my biggest changes in awhile today.
4 months ago
Gleeock, I've been looking into that, actually. I have identified 10 cards I can slip in.
I am considering removing the following, for their respective reasons:
- Gauntlet of Power : It costs to much mana and assists my opponents in ramp. I am not looking to build a group hug deck.
- Extraplanar Lens : While there is strong power here, I also feel I have enough solid ramp and cost reduction that I do not need it. I play games and win just fine in tests without having it on the field. There are even times where I find it slows me down because I get greedy and play it too early, removing lands from play. For example, if I have three lands out but exile my only red source, I kind of screw myself over.
- Rimescale Dragon : With Lens out of the deck, I have reason to run Snow-Covered Mountain s. That is to say, I was running SCMs because it puts a soft-lock on my opponent's ability to ramp off my card. If they have normal Mountains, they gain no benefit. They would need specifically a Snow-Covered Mountain. Well, if I am not using snow lands, I don't benefit from Rimescale.
- Glacial Crevasses : Again, no snow lands = no need to run this.
Now only two of these are actually mainboarded; Gauntlet and Lens. I play many games without using these and things work out just fine. So it becomes a matter of what to replace them with.
I'd like to stick to the Dragons if able, only because I'd get the most value out of Lathliss. However, other control-like Enchantments work as well.
The list of Dragons I am looking at currently are the following:
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon : Gives me another control outlet on a Dragon. Similar to Steel Hellkite in that I can remove threats or problematic cards. I can break combo pieces apart or destroy stones to slow opponents down. It also works great to remove Voltron equipment. Without being a tap ability, I can sink an entire turn's worth of mana into it and blow up 2 or 3 artifacts late game.
- Knollspine Dragon : Giant hand replenishment card. There are plenty of times where I swing for 14+ damage. That's 14 cards. The value there is just immense. Possibly even better than Dragon Mage because I don't give my opponent's new cards, too.
- Moonveil Dragon : Functions as another anthem. Lathliss, Dragon Queen and Purphoros, God of the Forge both serve in this capacity. Having a 3rd Dragon might be useful, too.
- Mordant Dragon : A weaker version of Balefire Dragon . I may honestly replace Demanding Dragon . I don't want to give my opponent a choice in the matter. That's what makes Glorybringer and Flameblast Dragon so good - I choose where I want the damage to go.
- Thunder Dragon : Seems like a decent sweeper, but only if the boardstate is light enough. I'm not sure how this would fare in the changing meta. 3 damage probably isn't worth it late game, and early game it'd be too hard to reliably get out. Just posting it here so you know I thought of it.
- Zodiac Dragon : I was considering this only because I find it interesting that it gives me essentially an unkillable Dragon. No matter what the boardstate becomes, I would always have Zodiac and Lathliss I can fall back on. I just find that a bit interesting, but I don't think I should try and force Golgari into mono-red. Though, to be fair, I also have Haven of the Spirit Dragon which returns a Dragon as well as Daretti, Scrap Savant who can return Steel Hellkite and Moltensteel Dragon . So there is precedent for it in this deck.
Additionally, I have identified:
- Price of Glory : Completely shuts down reaction-based decks.
- Citadel of Pain : Forces mana-drain.
- Ashling's Prerogative : Another source of haste. If I choose even, all of my 6-cmc Dragons (Which are most of them) gain haste. Likewise, my tokens (0 cmc) also gain haste. It also gives my Commander haste.
I think I'd rather go with the enchantments I feel that slowing opponents down while I burn them out with passive triggers is a great foundation to rely on as I churn out an army of Dragons. Sort of keeps the pressure off of me to keep going as fast as possible. This way, if I get a hand with 2 or 3 6-cmc Dragons but also a 3-cmc control enchantment, I can keep it knowing I have a soft lock on the game for a few turns.
After I finalize this deck, I plan on building a Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck, running Korvold, Fae-Cursed King as a "secret Commander". That will be far more of a "regular" EDH deck with interactions, wraths, tutors, land spell cards, etc. :)
6 months ago
Hey Hi all. I used to have a R/G Land destruction deck here that had 29 +1's, likes, that was standard Format.
Then I changed it, to a modern deck, and it got +19 +1's,likes at another site.
Then I changed it again, and post it here again.
It can get out a Deus of Calamity , on, by turns 1,2,3.
It destroys lands on turns 1,2,3.
The deck destroys Jund, Tron, Kiki Chord.
I have worked a hard a long time on this deck.
So I posted the deck, as a kind of example, template, Primer, with a semi kinda, sorta, semi article like deck description.
Also I am trying to build one of the best Land Destruction decks possible.
And I want to help those in the community to be able build the best land destruction deck possible.
So please view, read, etc, the deck, when want to.
Also please comment on, about the deck on, at the deck, when want to.
Also when,if you like the deck, please like, +1 the deck, when, if you like deck.
That would, will help me, others assess the deck.
Also if the deck does NOT get enough +1's, it would probably get ignored.
I plan on buying the cards for this deck,then playing the deck at competitive FNM's, PTQ, etc.
SCORE: 1 | 13 COMMENTS | 133 VIEWS
6 months ago
Thanks Darth for your comment.
Your right that Ponza's Ramp package is better for what it wants to do.
The difference between my almost mostly semi pure LAND DESTRUCTION deck, and Ponza is:
From what I have seen, Ponza is NOT DEPENDENT on Land Destruction the way my deck is.
What I mean by that is, is if Ponza is able to destroy land, that's bonus. But if not, it will RAMP UP to it having more THREATS then my deck, then use creature Removal, burn, protection of its threats to win. And its Ramp package is better then my deck's Ramp package at doing that.
My deck is different in that if I dont destroy opponents land, then this deck is SUNK.
This deck Ramps in the following ways:
It uses the 4 Birds, or 4 Arbor elves, or 4 Mana Dorks, to help destroy land on, by turn 2.
It uses 4 Simian Spirit Guide 's to destroy lands on turns 1,2,3.
That, this does 2 things:
It deramps my opponent, as as such is a kind of tempo ramp for me, putting me ahead land wise ahead of opponent.
Using the ramp that I use to destroy lands on turns 1,2,3, alao helps me get out more land destruction cards on future turns, and helps me get out my semi finishers.
By turns 4,5,6,7,8:
I have destroyed about 3,4,5,6 opponents land.to the point, where opponent either has 0, Zero,1,2 lands.
I have about 3,4,5,6,7 land.
I have out one, an or some of the following:
A. Acidic Slime
D. Hoard-Smelter Dragon .
You said that my deck lacks consistency of Ponza.
That's probably true, when compared to the OVERALL consistency of Ponza.
But my deck is actually more consistent then Ponza AT DESTROYING LAND more often, and more consistent then Ponza at destroying lands Turns 1,2,3.
My deck is VERY consistent at destroying lands, and at destroying lands turns 1, 2, 3.
Now where my deck is similar to Ponza, is that like Ponza, I destroy land, ramp up to threats.
Its just that Ponza has more,and better threats then my deck.
And I destroy land better then Ponza.
That might change a little as I am putting Deus of Calamity into deck(Thanks Funky).
Also I am not saying my deck is better then Ponza. It either may or may not be better the Ponza,an or probably is better then my deck.
But the 1 thing my deck is better then Ponza at, is that my deck is a better LAND DESTRUCTION deck that is better at destroying lands then Ponza is.
6 months ago
Nevermind about my previous question, comment.
I finally found a deck, with Hogaak in it(Casual Deck)
While Hogaak is AWESOME, can get out turns 2,3,4, and win turns 3,4,5,6,consistently.
And my Land Destruction on turns 1,2,3, with Boom/bust, Pillage , Liquimetal Coating , and Primal Command , and Incendiary Command , would nuke lands on turns 1,2,3, make it harder to get stuff out. Then nuke your 2/2's with incendiary command, so that cant use them to convoke out Hogaak. And use Primal command to shuffle your graveyard back into your libary, then use eternal witness to reuse Primal Command to shuffle your graveyard back into your library again, so rhat you wouldnt be able to use your graveyard to delve Hogaak out.
And even if get Hogaak out, I would just either Wrecking Ball destroy Hogaak, or use Liquid Metal Coatings to turn Hogaak into a Artifact, then destroy him with Oxidize, Pillage, etc.
Hogaak is easily dealt with, and shouldnt be banned, unless can get him out on turns 1,2 very consistently, which I dont think can be done YET. If that can be done, then he should be banned.
8 months ago
I can’t imagine Hoard-Smelter Dragon ever seeing play before the end of the game. Why not just run either Glissa Sunseeker , Sunder Shaman , or Thrashing Brontodon in that slot instead? All of these options will see play before game end and should help lock down the board for you
8 months ago
Alright, Iona, Shield of Emeria has been banned. :( I did get her out with a hard cast, just once and prevented all my opponents from casting spells, they all folded immediately... I changed about 13 cards out in the deck, removing Dreadbore , Flooded Strand , Hoard-Smelter Dragon , Iona, Mortuary Mire , Overmaster , Reaper from the Abyss , Seething Song , Wind-Scarred Crag . I put in, Reconnaissance , Hellkite Charger , Archfiend of Despair , Blood Crypt , Godless Shrine , Sunbaked Canyon , Winds of Abandon , Bolas's Citadel , Talisman of Indulgence , and Thaumatic Compass Flip... In process of swapping 3 more cards for Kaalia, Zenith Seeker , Erebos, God of the Dead , as well as Pyroblast