|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon Wizard
Whenever Dragon Mage deals combat damage to a player, each player discards their hand, then draws seven cards.
Dragon Mage Discussion
1 week ago
Gleeock, I've been looking into that, actually. I have identified 10 cards I can slip in.
I am considering removing the following, for their respective reasons:
- Gauntlet of Power : It costs to much mana and assists my opponents in ramp. I am not looking to build a group hug deck.
- Extraplanar Lens : While there is strong power here, I also feel I have enough solid ramp and cost reduction that I do not need it. I play games and win just fine in tests without having it on the field. There are even times where I find it slows me down because I get greedy and play it too early, removing lands from play. For example, if I have three lands out but exile my only red source, I kind of screw myself over.
- Rimescale Dragon : With Lens out of the deck, I have reason to run Snow-Covered Mountain s. That is to say, I was running SCMs because it puts a soft-lock on my opponent's ability to ramp off my card. If they have normal Mountains, they gain no benefit. They would need specifically a Snow-Covered Mountain. Well, if I am not using snow lands, I don't benefit from Rimescale.
- Glacial Crevasses : Again, no snow lands = no need to run this.
Now only two of these are actually mainboarded; Gauntlet and Lens. I play many games without using these and things work out just fine. So it becomes a matter of what to replace them with.
I'd like to stick to the Dragons if able, only because I'd get the most value out of Lathliss. However, other control-like Enchantments work as well.
The list of Dragons I am looking at currently are the following:
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon : Gives me another control outlet on a Dragon. Similar to Steel Hellkite in that I can remove threats or problematic cards. I can break combo pieces apart or destroy stones to slow opponents down. It also works great to remove Voltron equipment. Without being a tap ability, I can sink an entire turn's worth of mana into it and blow up 2 or 3 artifacts late game.
- Knollspine Dragon : Giant hand replenishment card. There are plenty of times where I swing for 14+ damage. That's 14 cards. The value there is just immense. Possibly even better than Dragon Mage because I don't give my opponent's new cards, too.
- Moonveil Dragon : Functions as another anthem. Lathliss, Dragon Queen and Purphoros, God of the Forge both serve in this capacity. Having a 3rd Dragon might be useful, too.
- Mordant Dragon : A weaker version of Balefire Dragon . I may honestly replace Demanding Dragon . I don't want to give my opponent a choice in the matter. That's what makes Glorybringer and Flameblast Dragon so good - I choose where I want the damage to go.
- Thunder Dragon : Seems like a decent sweeper, but only if the boardstate is light enough. I'm not sure how this would fare in the changing meta. 3 damage probably isn't worth it late game, and early game it'd be too hard to reliably get out. Just posting it here so you know I thought of it.
- Zodiac Dragon : I was considering this only because I find it interesting that it gives me essentially an unkillable Dragon. No matter what the boardstate becomes, I would always have Zodiac and Lathliss I can fall back on. I just find that a bit interesting, but I don't think I should try and force Golgari into mono-red. Though, to be fair, I also have Haven of the Spirit Dragon which returns a Dragon as well as Daretti, Scrap Savant who can return Steel Hellkite and Moltensteel Dragon . So there is precedent for it in this deck.
Additionally, I have identified:
- Price of Glory : Completely shuts down reaction-based decks.
- Citadel of Pain : Forces mana-drain.
- Ashling's Prerogative : Another source of haste. If I choose even, all of my 6-cmc Dragons (Which are most of them) gain haste. Likewise, my tokens (0 cmc) also gain haste. It also gives my Commander haste.
I think I'd rather go with the enchantments I feel that slowing opponents down while I burn them out with passive triggers is a great foundation to rely on as I churn out an army of Dragons. Sort of keeps the pressure off of me to keep going as fast as possible. This way, if I get a hand with 2 or 3 6-cmc Dragons but also a 3-cmc control enchantment, I can keep it knowing I have a soft lock on the game for a few turns.
After I finalize this deck, I plan on building a Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck, running Korvold, Fae-Cursed King as a "secret Commander". That will be far more of a "regular" EDH deck with interactions, wraths, tutors, land spell cards, etc. :)
3 weeks ago
You need card draw big time. Consider Infiltration Lens , Farsight Mask , Knollspine Dragon , Wheel of Fate , Reforge the Soul , Geier Reach Sanitarium , Chandra, Flamecaller , Howling Mine , Dragon Mage , Skyline Despot , Mind's Eye , Outpost Siege , Stolen Strategy , and Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip.
It's up to you to decide what's worth adding in. I would say you could use at least 5 of these card draw sources listed above in your deck
1 month ago
CptRodgers, it's not the latest episode - just one that left a big impression on me. The latest episode however is quite excellent, and I recommend you give a watch - "How to Determine Your Power Level". This can help you get a better understanding of what decks your deck should face off against for the optimal experience. So, you have your primary strategy laid out - a "Punishment Wheel" so to speak. I like it. So I have some questions for you:
- Do you have any alternate Wincons in mind?
- Do you want a more Combo Control Deck or are you wanting Mid-range?
- Are you thinking up a different name for the deck? "Almost cEDH" seems a little...lack luster for a commander such as
- in my opinion. Some suggestions for deck names could be:
- Scourge of the Mind
- Nekusar, Menace of Wisdom
- The Punishment Wheel
And separately, I have a card suggestion for you - Dragon Mage . Yes, i'll admit it's a bit staple-y (which might not be what you're going for) but it is a Wheel on a body that has built in evasion that hits for a decent amount. Good luck with your choices, hope my suggestions helped.
1 month ago
I've run daretti as a commander since he came out. He was the first commander i ever used. I played it back then, and back then the problem i want to talk about was more a problem, but I feel in 5 years it hasn't been fixed the best.
The problem is that mono blue artifacts just seems infinitely better than mono red if you look at just artifact stuff. When you add blue control power on top of that it doesn't even seem close to me. I've played muzzio decks, so i have some experience with blue artifacts too. Just the artifact specific stuff feels way stronger. Compare Feldon of the Third Path or Goblin Welder to Arcum Dagsson or Master Transmuter . Red artifacts revolve more around the graveyard, which inherently opens up more counterplay in the form of graveyard hate, a weakness blue also does not share.
The 2nd part of this is mostly just blue complaining and looking at red's relative weaknesses. Red has no enchantment removal apart from Chaos Warp , which is red's only real way to deal with indestructible stuff as well. Red also doesn't have as many ways as blue to deal with indestructible things like Cyclonic Rift , polymorph's jest or Frogify . Then look at blue's card draw ability. Unconditional card draw, or Anticipate type effects. Red draw spells almost all require discard or are creature targeting with a 'draw a card' effect tacked on. And unlike black spells, you have to discard before you draw. Or you can get stuff like Avaricious Dragon or Dragon Mage , but they cause you to discard too. yes that helps, but blue card draw usually lets you stack your hand up as big as you want it provided you can grow your hand size, which isn't usually too hard in commander. Then just counterspells. I know that's beat to death, but it's just another +1 for blue.
I feel like mono blue artifacts are still just better than mono red. Mono red can work, but it's not as good. Blue is still too good at too much.
2 months ago
@Scarlet2009 What is ex map? Also there are lots of decks with 1 win con.
@heckproof Thanks for the advice and explanation on Ricochet Trap . Price keeps me away from Karn Liberated , but i know it would be good. I'll cut the other walls. I want Electrostatic Field though. If surgical extraction hits my worldfire, electrofield and Arc Blade recurring could be alright back up with rift bolts and bolt... however, i just realized arc blade isn't on the deck list. I'll correct that. I was looking for a good red x spell. Banefire is a definite. With the aforementioned cards that could be decent. If i have two arc blades cycling through suspension one banefire cast with one tron set out could put them on a short clock. Vexing Devil s seems like the play for creatures. Any recommendations on card draw? Cut some of the ritual spells for Chromatic Star ? more red draw spells? Dragon Mage or something similar? Wheel of Fate ?
2 months ago
I would definitely include more draw effects. Because commander is a longer game, you need to be able to refill your hand and keep enduring battle. I would recommend
Chandra, Torch of Defiance
. I would also include wheel effect to reload your hand cards like
Magus of the Wheel
are great budget includes.
The deck is also lacking in ramp, I would include cheap ramp such as
and any old mana rock like
. With a bigger budget I would include commander staples like
Also one of effects like
Simian Spirit Guide
are very lackluster for non-combo decks that are not going to win in one turn.
Great Start and Welcome to Commander
2 months ago
awalloftext - Hey, thanks for taking a look!
I honestly chucked Skyshroud Elf in just because I had one and I didn't have another Bloom Tender on hand. But I've added Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx as a sort of Gaea's Cradle lite. I was on the fence about adding it and Glacial Chasm to the list. Chasm I think I'll add to the more group hug version if I can figure out group hug synergies.
And thank's for suggesting Hunter's Insight I'm not too familiar with Green card draw. I run Ruric Thar, the Unbowed , but it's mainly rummage effects with green tutors. So I was at a bit of a loss since I'm not planning on making the creatures big enough to use the more common sorcerys I know of for card draw.
I started playing during Onslaught and Dragon Mage is my favorite card from then. I actually had a few good results using it in my old play group as a surprise add in, but if the new group gets better I'll probably swap it out for something else, probably Memory Jar .
Thanks again for taking a look. :)
2 months ago
Isn't Dragon Mage a bit risky as it can refill your opponent's hand?
Dragon Mage occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%