|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Common|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Counter target instant spell.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (28)||NOGzFTW , ajc3527 , Neos272 , frederiklw , darthnuchi , Tommuz , tahavin , ninjasupahsquid , Yawkcorb , Mousemke , TheRealPeaches , corys , Dsmonsta , anonymausguy , nakni , MattN7498 , XxCataclysmiCxX , ExaByteOctopus , SoggyGecko , rainbowofdeath , LTmiller , a_murpheus , , ironax , jhunter , TThors , brokendwarf , DudeMan1031|
|Want (29)||evilmoses , jbriedis , Bouncytube , vaerth , kovellen , wasianpower , ShayneBreak , Shoshy , Eschamali , Gryffix , Ariumlegion , jasongold89 , jagger333 , Coopenhagen , Grantley91 , mlouden03 , DragonXDoom , mumblethief , jeremy3036 , sacrow , kvfd1719 , Uncommon_Courtesy , IBWolfKnight , vincentgalbo , CaptainBamboo , ToolmasterOfBrainerd , Blue_Otaku_No.1 , buildingadeck , TheAnnihilator|
3 days ago
HobbyGamer007 Thank you for your time and effort, i'll go through every card now.
- Woolly Razorback: I know, I usually had it in here as another Plan B if Arcades gets too much hate but it's proven itself worthless and it will be exchanged.
- Counter: I know they are not the best and I'll replace them with some of you suggestions maybe, also probably Cyclonic Rift and Stifle
- Cultivate will be replaced with Farseek and i can't part with my japanese Skyshroud Claim i pulled in a Battlebond booster while I was in Tokyo. I know it's not the fastest but I also like Lands more than mana dorks because creatures die a lot faster in ouf group.
- Nature's Claim is a great card and it will replace Disenchant
- Don't underestimate Shield Wall and Steadfastness (the other mentioned cards are way worse). Normally I have 5-6 defender on the battlefield with an avg. toughness of 5, that's 25/30 strenght + one of the instants its 35-45 strenght which is normally enough to kill an opponent. Those cards often gave me the 1-2 extra damage I needed to kill.
- Disallow I like it because it gives versatility, but could be replaced with Stifle
- Dispel is very narrow and wasn't very usefull, could also be replaced
- Reality Shift is nice, probably switch Pongify for it
- Dorks: as I said, I don't really like dorks, maybe Noble Hierarch and/or Birds of Paradise will find a slot some day
- Signets are great to get the commander faster, depending on where I want to go with it
- Muddle the Mixture I don't really have any crucial 3 cmc cards in the deck yet
- Mystical Tutor great and could search Tower Defense for example but I don't think it is mach needed yet
- Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile are very nice I look if I can get my hands one one, but without lifegain I prefer Mirri's Guile
For the lands, they are very good and I mentioned a lot of them under the "Fast Mana Base" tab. But I initially tried to keep the deck on a budget also because I think a lot of people following the deck will do. Nonetheless I increasingly wish for cards like Strip Mine in my deck. So I'll probably add one or two in the future. Also I'd probably add Adarkar Wastes and Brushland.
Thank you again for your suggestions and I'm happy that you took the time to comment on my deck to show me good improvements for my existing cards!
4 days ago
Sure thing. Sorry that took a while:
- Woolly Razorback: too expensive, not good
- Hindering Light: not good
- Remove Soul: not good
- Render Silent: too expensive, hard to cast
- Rewind: you don't wanna leave 4 mana open
- Chromatic Lantern: fixes all your mana, so it will be destroyed right away
- Cultivate: not good
- Skyshroud Claim: too late
- Condemn: not good
- Disenchant: claim is better
- Shield Wall: calculate mana cost/toughness boost. a 2 toughness per mana boost is good, anything wose should just stick or do something(like Call to Glory or Glorious Anthem, and even these are kind of bad.)
- Steadfastness: see shield wall
- Disallow: trickbind is better imho
- Pongify: leaves a 3/3
- Mana Leak: can be useless
- Dispel : very narrow for a deck like yours. I'd prefer Autumn's Veil or Heroic Intervention. adding the latter.
- Reality Shift: exile is awesome
- Noble Hierarch: mana dorks
- Elvish Mystic
- Llanowar Elves
- Fyndhorn Elves
- Arbor Elf
- Birds of Paradise
- Wild Growth
- Selesnya Signet: mana rocks
- Azorius Signet
- Simic Signet
- Mystical Tutor: finds everything
- Nature's Claim
- Echoing Truth
- Muddle the Mixture: finds a lot of really crucial cards and doubles down as an emergency counter
- Sylvan Library: too good not to run, even without paying life, fetches make this great. maybe also consider Mirri's Guile
Mana base(33 is enough at this average cmc):
- Tropical Island
- Arid Mesa
- Flooded Strand
- Marsh Flats
- Misty Rainforest
- Polluted Delta
- Scalding Tarn
- Verdant Catacombs
- Windswept Heath
- Wooded Foothills
- Horizon Canopy
- Reflecting Pool
- Adarkar Wastes
- Yavimaya Coast
- Ancient Tomb
- Nimbus Maze
- Strip Mine: Maze of Ith so you always wanna have one of these four sooner or later during a game.
- Ghost Quarter
- Tectonic Edge
- 3 Forest
- 3 Plains
- 4 Island
That's what I'd do and then playtest it and go tweaking. Hope that helps and also that it wasn't too brutal. For real tweaking please add a list of decks you play against or how a normal game looks like(amount of combo decks, creature decks, control decks per game). You do run lot's of creature spot removal, but I let that in, since you might need it.
6 days ago
Jace, the Mind Sculptor is nearly required for any near combo deck with a continuous brainstorm effect. Pact of Negation too for the same reason. High cmc counters are generally bad for decks that are trying to storm off, or using stax. Cards like Dissipate and Disdainful Stroke could easily be converted to Dispel and Spell Pierce.
1 week ago
Dark Ritual says "add 5 black mana" with Kess out on the field.
You are missing draw. Preordain, Brainstorm, Ponder, Serum Visions are all cheap ways to draw cards and keep cards in your hands. I feel you constantly sit with no cards in hand which isn't good with a spell based commander.
Kess, Dissident Mage is a commander that needs spells. I have 32 spells in my deck and I feel I need more. 23 spells is not enough. You're almost better off running Marchesa, the Black Rose as your commander in this deck.
Counter-spells is needed also. I honestly don't know how you could run a spell based deck in blue, without running a couple counter-spells. Counterspell, Dispel, Negate, Counterflux, Mana Leak are all some you should consider.
1 week ago
You could just cut Laboratory Maniac for GSZ. it's a dead card anyway, only good in combo :P
1 week ago
Mental Misstep might be a better card, as there is no inherent card disadvantage, and it still hits a ton.
Dispel, Ponder, Preordain, and Spell Pierce would be my other additions, dropping Tooth and Nail, Cruel Tutor, mikeaus, the unhallowed, Beseech the Queen, and Triskelion, it would lower your curve, and up the general playability against other Flash-Hulk Lists, Loops lists with Thrasios, Triton Hero, Tainted Shimmer Zur, and Yidris storm lists.
I also suggest switching your current Hermit Druid wincon from Laboratory Maniac to Necrotic Ooze, and dropping Phyrexian Devourer for the classic Wall of Roots, Blighted Bat, Devoted Druid, Channeler Initiate, and Walking Ballista win condition
1 week ago
I'm very fond of a couple Faithless Looting to help you dig for cards you need. And also a little more counter spells. Remand for card draw and stall. Spell Pierce i'm finding is very good against aggro decks and early game because players tend to spend all their mana the first 3 turns. Dispel work against other control decks and I see you have already taken a liking to Stubborn Denial.
1 week ago
Celestial Purge is a good sideboard card in its own right, and with Painter's Servant (and Scuttlemutt) it's even better since you can blow up lands and other non-black/red permanents with it as well if you need to. It could replace Maelstrom Pulse with it in the sideboard, 4 Pulse is usually too many anyways. While we're talking about sideboards, the one Serum Visions is honestly a wasted slot. It doesn't directly improve any of your matchups, and having a slightly higher chance of drawing one won't change the game in your favor. Either move it into the main or cut it; another Thoughtseize would use that spot better.
Also, Negate is better than Heroic Intervention, especially since you're a lot more heavily weighted towards blue. It can hit more things and it does everything Intervention does (beats sweepers and removal) so it's almost always going to be better; Intervention was meant to be a replacement Negate for green decks without access to blue, so for a blue deck to be playing it over Negate seems... inefficient? I can't really think of the word. You can also play Dispel for cheaper protection.
Moving on, from what I can tell Call to the Kindred was meant to be an extra Reaper King tutor, but I think 4 copies is too many. It's a very slow card and can easily end up in a 2-for-1 without you being able to get any value out of it. You don't want to draw more than one copy of a slow card like that (generally 4 copies means you want to draw multiples each game), especially taking its cmc into account, so I suggest dropping to 3 or 2 copies.
I know someone said this already, but with the number of artifacts you're playing (22, I think the above comment missed the Pentad Prisms and Chromatic Stars), Spire of Industry is pretty much a direct upgrade to Mana Confluence.
Anyways, you've made a pretty neat deck. Good job.