|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Each player shuffles the cards from his or her hand into his or her library, then draws that many cards.
Metalcraft If you control three or more artifacts, Molten Psyche deals damage to each opponent equal to the number of cards that player has drawn this turn.
|Have (2)||Bluboltar , Mortiferus_Rosa|
|Want (55)||Nerubian , MrPredator , FF42 , sleepy104 , SmallSailor , Ariumlegion , Awuztein , Bl00dless , Aceleron , Maethanial , GS10 , squirrelmeat , klokwurk , zgriffin1989 , mookman288 , r_giskard , TheGrayMerchant , Liquicitizen , marsp44 , vaerth , oryandaw , drubacka , scottyboy76567 , stupidguy , Killuas , Venemouse , DracoIris , TrojanUnlimited , kingness701 , math_puppy , mils , jamiefosternz , 420togosyoloswag , scsrhino , pphhaazzee , king0fclubs , livingrock , jfitztrainer , ztheart , Moonling , PaTrudeau , Kogan1911 , Axertin , libraryjoy , DocMockingbird , barthill , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , binarysecond , Ridley006 , MSc_Korea , DFXLuna , D_Rizzle_Sizzle , DevonD , zanemerrick , lonesentinel|
Molten Psyche Discussion
1 month ago
This looks like loads of fun! Have you considered Sunder at all? Playing that in response to your own Windfall , Winds of Change , or Molten Psyche could even further push everyone's card draw late in the game for a big finish.
1 month ago
2 months ago
empireScum: Thank you for the comment!
So I don't actually play this version of the deck, it started from when someone asked what the budget version of my $1200 deck would look like, back before I reworked that one to cost a lot less.
There are two reasons those lands are included, first being that I took my old list and trimmed everything above $3 in my first pass (why Great Furnace is still there), and second to add back a few more artifacts for the sake of Goblin Welder (who I have an easier time tutoring for). My regular deck normally has between 18-20 artifacts, but it also has heavier draw effects, so it's easier to get to them.
I wanted to treat this as more of a template, so if someone wanted to add anything from a Daretti, Scrap Savant (I'd rather sac a land than most of the artifacts in the deck) or even a Mox Opal that care about number of artifacts, they wouldn't need to adjust a ton more cards to compensate. It's a nice middleground for a few of the ways you can take this deck (artifact heavy, combo heavy, token spam, etc...).
So at first glance, especially compared with all the other Ib decks this one looks like it has about 20 mountains too few, but after playing with Ib for a few years now, more than 38 or 40 sounds crazy to me. With that being said, the number of mountains can definitely go up or down depending on the type of extra land effects the person is running. The main deck is much heavier on library-to-battlefield type effects and has few (or no?) land fetches that go into your hand instead. This deck plays a few turns more slowly, so it includes a lot more hand-to-battlefield effects ( Walking Atlas , Terrain Generator ,etc..) since your hand is more likely to be full, and you get more total turns to draw.
I tend to cast Price of Progress or Acidic Soil , or both, probably every other game, and even at 23x Mountains it always feels like enough, but I also have Magus of the Moon and Blood Moon , two cards I think that should be some of the first upgrades to this budget version.
You're right that they are easier to remove than a normal land, but there are very few nonbasics in this deck still, and the kind of decks it would probably be played against have 3-4x as many nonbasics (some of the last commander decks had more than 25 enters-the-battlefield-tapped lands). PoP and AS aren't going to hit us hard unless we get every single land in the deck out, in which case we sac all but the 6 nonbasics, take 18 damage and everyone else takes like 60. There are many games where I get to do the land-punishment combos where I end the game with single digit health, but I took down the whole table. Being mono-red there isn't really a way to make that any easier outside of Basilisk Collar , the only way I've found in mono-red to get any kind of meaningful health back.
If I had to decide on changing something I would leave all the lands, but maybe add in a Daretti now that he dropped in price a bit more, or a Molten Psyche if I ran some wheels or my opponents had decks that draw lots of cards. That way I could take advantage of the artifacts a bit more.
I hope that helps!
2 months ago
@Abaques: Hmm... well, I guess it's time I put that Jhoira I got from a Duel Deck set to good use... I guess I could drop the Wheels (Though this will destroy any good use of Molten Psyche.), & Group Hug (I wish I had Zedruu the Greathearted, she was one of the best Legends I've ever seen for a high degree of options one can choose from...). Based on this, I'll probably have to stick to the latter 2 in this case. Though thematically, I would remove Mana Crypt, but I'm unsure how that would be any better; I wonder how strong it really is... There are wincons in there already, though nearly all require their respective creature; a very discerning problem. What to do when stuff like Leveler + Shared Fate is too janky to even be used? Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir locks down all opponents, but the rest? I'm not sure. That said, thanks! I dunno what to replace these w/ but I hope these are great alts...
...(Now I want to make a Zedruu the Greathearted Group Hug/Chaos Deck in Jhoira #1's stead... ;-; (Unless giving away some key pieces is to risky? I dunno if it's the opponent that chooses or not...))
2 months ago
Hey, nice budget deck. You and your friend have good card sense. Here's a some budget upgrades to consider:
- Skullclamp: busted card draw with 1/1 Insects, it creates a loop of drawing cards and making Insects with The Locust God.
- Laboratory Maniac (Labman): win condition when drawing a lot of cards.
- Psychosis Crawler
- Impact Tremors: win condition when you're making 1/1 Insects.
- Windfall: best budget wheel in Commander.
- Whirlpool Warrior: two wheel effects with one card.
- Molten Psyche
- Mystic Remora: one of the best blue enchantments for draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Faithless Looting
- Commander's Sphere: rainbow mana rock which you can sac later on to draw a card.
- Mind Stone
- Chaos Warp: instant permanent removal.
- Mystical Tutor: the most expensive card I'm suggesting, but worth it for it's versatility.
- Desolate Lighthouse
- Shivan Reef: Izzet Pain land, always ETB untapped.
Have you heard of the Magic term wheel? A wheel is an effect that makes all players discard their hands and draw new cards. Wheels are very good with The Locust God because a single card can let you draw a lot cards which means you create a lot 1/1 Insects with one card. Skullclamp, Labman, Crawler and Tremors are win conditions with Insects and draw.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Cerebral Vortex
- Cunning Strike
- Turn / Burn
- Refuse / Cooperate
- Radical Idea
- Spectral Searchlight
- Traveler's Amulet
- Beacon Bolt
- Direct Current
- Stitch in Time
- Fog Bank
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
We've never considered this approach for The Locust God before, but looking at your deck-list it looks like this could work. Here are some additional cards we would definitely recommend:
- Keranos, God of Storms; burns someone whenever you reveal your first draw of the turn if it's a non-land card (and if it's a land, you get to draw again, so no down-sides there).
- Breath of Fury; not really a burn card, bu we would recommend this card for all Locust God decks as it can potentially end games, if you happen to have enough Locusts. Attach it to a Locust, attack with all Locusts. Sac one of the Locusts, attach it to another Locust and attack again. Repeat this until all your opponents bite the dust or you run out of Locusts.
- Goblin Bombardment; can make someone severely regret board-wiping your army of Locusts.
- Shared Animosity; also not a burn card, but a really nice, cheap-to-cast booster for a Locust army. As an example, just five Locusts and this card turns all of them into 6/1 flyers; ouch.
- Burn at the Stake; if you do not want to attack with your Locusts, this card can also make use of them quite well for a magnificent burn.
- Molten Psyche; nice burn card in this deck, if you have enough artifacts on the field.
Other than these cards, some we feel fit really well with Locust God are:
- Altar of the Brood; this becomes really frustrating for your opponents when you're drawing as much as this deck allows.
- Enter the Infinite; we know, it's expensive to cast, but combined with many of the permanents in this deck that damage opponents whenever you draw, this can potentially end games (not to even mention the army of Locusts this would generate).
In case you're interested in our entire decklist, please feel free to check it out: My Power Will Eat Your Face!. As a matter of fact, we admire your creativity and are kinda hoping you would be interested in checking out more of our decks and providing some feedback. We of course would gladly do the same for you.
Happy brewing and gaming!
With kind regards,
Mrs and Mr NV_1980
2 months ago
both of those cards are bad, smasher. you want to combo out with Waste Not so non-discard effects are far worse than Windfall effects since they are random and shuffle your library which usually has a card tutored on top and is therefore counterproductive.
like maiz said, any effect that gives your opponents free cards with no downside like howling mine are just terrible,especially without damage. Temple Bell is only good because it combos infinitely with Mind Over Matter otherwise its trash
the only wheels any nekusar deck should run is Timetwister and Wheel of Fortune effects. my nekusar primer is fully tuned and optimized and i dont even run Molten Psyche because its far too situational and dangerous to cast.
furthermore,telling someone to play cards with zero reasoning behind yout suggestion does nothing. anyone can easily go on EDHREC and see all the bad casual draw spells people run in their nek lists, but those are heavily casual lists and are more chaos than Waste Not storm
2 months ago
Molten Psyche occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%