Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Geth's Grimoire Discussion
1 week ago
+1 from me! Might I suggest: Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Chasm Skulker, Geth's Grimoire, Venser's Journal, Well of Ideas, also if you want to be REALLY mean you could give Nekusar, the Mindrazer some infect from Phyresis ;)
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
sonnet666, thanks for the advice. Here's how I'll change my list, given your input.
- I'll swap out Anthem of Rakdos for Gratuitous Violence, you're right there, no contest.
- Grave Upheaval will be sticking in my list, mainly because I think the basic land cycling is how I'll quite often use it, and if I'm desperate to reanimate something, I'd rather I cast on my turn and the creature has haste. Put those two together on one card, overcosted though it is, and the modality is what has me sold.
- Dark Withering never actually made it to the previous cut, because I felt the same way about it as you. Terminate is already taking up that spot. So spot-on insight there.
- Once again, the modality on Kolaghan's Command is what has me sold and I've actually used all 4 modes in one commander game before.
- Library of Leng will be staying in my list, (I know this reason is so scrubby it's unreal) mainly because it negates the negative feeling of discarding a card I really wanted to play, my list doesn't feature much graveyard recursion.
- Larceny is just a smidge off curve for my list, so I'll not be adding it in, but it would probably go well in a different build.
- Megrim and Liliana's Caress are getting the axe, but Quest for the Nihil Stone is going to stay because it actually works well in the list. So, out come Megrim and Carress and in go your recommendations of Bottomless Pit and Bloodchief Ascension
- Finally, because of the theme that I'm trying for my list, I'm not putting cards like Phyrexian Arena or Geth's Grimoire in, but they would probably make the cut in someone else's list.
So yeah, thanks. Some pretty good suggestions. When they finally put Neheb, the Worthy in the cardlist here on TAPPEDOUT, I'll post my list on this thread.
2 weeks ago
DeckedGuru, While I don't think you're going in the wrong direction, you listed a lot of sup-par cards right there:
- Anthem of Rakdos, Gratuitous Violence is practically the same thing, but all the time.
- Grave Upheaval is a highly overpriced effect when Reanimate, Dance of the Dead, Animate Dead, Necromancy, Coffin Queen, Feldon of the Third Path, and Dread Return all exist, and Dread Return even functions from the graveyard.
- Dark Withering, just because discard is your theme doesn't mean you have to include mediocre removal spells just because they fit your theme. You don't see me running Irradiate in my artifact decks for the same reason. Dark Withering can basically only be cast when you can discard a card, making it a pseudo-sorcery, and is outclassed by other all around good removal in these colors, like Terminate, Tragic Slip, and Malicious Affliction.
- Kolaghan's Command, I know it's a beast in 60 card formats, but all of those modes are pretty useless in EDH, except the artifact removal, but that's outclassed by Shattering Spree, Vandalblast, and Goblin Welder.
- Library of Leng, capitalizing on the cards you're discarding being in the graveyard is a million times better than basically guaranteeing you're not going to draw any new cards.
- Pain Magnification, this one is actually pretty good, but this is a friendly reminder that Larceny exists and is amazing.
- Megrim, Liliana's Caress, and Quest for the Nihil Stone, unless you have a full set of Wheel of Fortune effects, these guys end up having way less of an impact than you'd think they do in a 40 life format. Same goes for The Rack. Bloodchief Ascension on the other hand, is typically strong enough to include anyway.
- Necrogen Mists, this one's also not bad, but you forgot all of its siblings: Bottomless Pit, Oppression, Stronghold Rats, and Creeping Dread.
As far as the hellbent theme goes, I wouldn't focus too much on it, since Neheb's effect isn't that great, and there are only two hellbent card worth including, which also aren't that great... Instead if you focus on just capitalizing on the cards you're throwing in the graveyard and stripping away your opponent's hands, then you can still draw lots of cards without being counter to your main strategy. Stuff like Geth's Grimoire and Phyrexian Arena can keep you flush while your opponents struggle to have things to play, and Mask of Memory fits really nicely here since our commander is low cost and is going to be attacking.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
I'm feeling lazy, gonna just list:
3 weeks ago
Nice swap, Crosis is a lot of fun too and he works better to me in a control deck, even when he's not the main win con. I have a Crosis discard deck where almost every card revolves around emptying my opponents hands: Discarded Dreams (but it may be a little overkill right now, I might have too much discard and could probably use more draw and removal)
I like most of your card choices here, but I do think you need to improve your efficiency by adding more card draw and ramp. Since Crosis costs 6 to bring out, if he gets killed a couple times it makes him super expensive. With only 35 lands and not much ramp and card draw, this deck will probably have some trouble keeping it's foot on the gas. I'd add Gem of Becoming and some signets, keyrunes, and other mana rocks.
1 month ago
Sun Titan can bring back lands or anything.. even Solitary Confinement. Storage Matrix for more stays tapped effects and Inspiring Statuary can shut some of those kinds of artifacts off for you, although you need more instant cards to really take advantage of it. Geth's Grimoire could be a great draw engine. Cool deck.