|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Rare|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Rare|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Rare|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Rare|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Rare|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Rare|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Wheel of Fortune
Each player discards his or her hand and draws seven cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||ironax , Willis1994 , Vasbear1 , Mousemke , Big-Foot , cklise , LTmiller , angesoir , CampbellStev , Justinaut|
|Want (14)||Ariumlegion , Bad_Dog , mentor6 , KevinLS , TheLazyGrim , Big-Foot , sonnet666 , Forkbeard , firemind12 , Dadaman11 , TheGrayMerchant , rainbowofdeath , VampSlayer , dplerner|
Wheel of Fortune Discussion
1 day ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
1 day ago
Coward_Token, War Cadence and Brutal Hordechief are very different. I can't use Brutal Hordechief on other players' turns. I am only allowed to use it to aid myself, and this deck is not optimized for it. It also forces blocks, it does not make things unblockable. That means that I can't use it politically or as an Aikido play. It is just a heavy threat from me, and can never enhance other players' games. Very different cards. I considered it, and it doesn't fit, in my opinion.
NotEaster, Yawgmoth's Will is just a mass recursion for dramatic swing turns. Since my swings are mostly sorcery and instant based, I would consider Mizzix's Mastery. I have considered it myself in this list, but went for the broader card. Sometimes I consider the change anyway. If yours are not sorcery and instant based, consider something like Replenish (too expensive), or maybe Living Death. Depends on your list. You just want something to allow you to replay your big turns at a later time if they end up in your graveyard.
Phyrexian Arena is not too powerful, it is just not as swingy as I like. I run Necropotence, more powerful and more swingy. I advocate for Phyrexian Arena for card draw for those who don't run other, more subtle but more swingy, card draw.
2 days ago
Hey, back again! I've got a list cooking, based off of yours and a budget-friendly version I found by another user (he credited you, the list is quite similar). I have some questions.
Are there any acceptable cheap(er) sideboard cards to replace Yawgmoth's Will, or should I scrap the effect entirely? All the similar effects I could find would only hit certain kinds of cards (e.g. creatures or instants+sorceries), which I'm worried could undermine the card's purpose.
On a similar note, at what point do wheel effects not become efficient enough to replace Wheel of Fortune? Reforge the Soul and Wheel of Fate are similar, but they both have significant downsides (especially seeing as the miracle cost on reforge is basically irrelevant).
Finally, I'm wondering if Solitary Confinement is too dependent on cards I'm not sure I want to shill out for, like Tithe. I've considered Phyrexian Arena, but that card must have been considered by you when making the deck, so its exclusion makes me nervous. Was the card advantage it gave too threatening to fit the deck?
3 days ago
My point was simply that in my meta hands are not safe places to keep cards. Simply given the popularity of Nekusar I doubt the hand is as safe as you think in general. Though it is cool that there are groups where red doesn't use Wheel of Fortune effects for all of its draw...
It is still a cool find and I might actually have a place for it in my Ramos deck since there are several creatures that I'd like to force through in that deck.
1 week ago
Wheel of Fortune is not tiny leader legal. But i like your deck !
1 week ago
Definitely don't need 40 lands. If you want to still play safe, you can drop to 38. if you want to be a little risky, I think it can work with 35. A lot of good cards, but just because they are good doesn't mean they belong. Avatar of Woe, Trophy Mage doesn't fit to the whole theme. Myr Retriever, Heartless Summoning don't seem needed. Yes, you are milling yourself too, but none of your artifacts are necessary for they deck to function. Your curve is low too, so there isn't a big need for ramp more than the staple rocks. Then, you need to think about lifespan. Creatures die most, then artifacts, enchantments, lands. Next, How are you going to go about playing the deck. It doesn't seem like you will be attacking a lot, if at all. Raiders' Wake fits, but you already have a lot of cards that do the same thing and then some. you wont be triggering Raid a lot if it all.
Compare the CMC to the effect to figure out what else you'd want to take out.
Back to mana... oh boy. Opal Palace is really only good in Voltron with few exceptions. Path of Ancestry works best in tribal, it's pretty much Crumbling Necropolis in here. I think you can live without Exotic Orchard. I didn't see any theft cards in here that require you pay for the card. Mystifying Maze is a worse version on Maze of Ith especially if used on a card with an ETB. You have way to many lands that come in tapped. This deck can be fast, but tapped lands slow you down a lot more than you realize. They aren't worth it unless they have a crazy effect.
Academy Ruins does what Myr Retriever does. Drownyard Temple comes back from the grave. Mikokoro, Center of the Sea more card draw. Mirrorpool might be nice. Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is a staple combo. Thespian's Stage and Vesuva copy lands; something to keep in mind. Throne of the High City might work if you keep yourself protected. Reflecting Pool is too good not to have
You'll need to find a balance of single card discard and mass discard. Too much mass discard will wiff, but too much single card discard will be too slow.
Bchong on Esper Tech
1 week ago
Why bother playing esper? Why not just play Grixis and have Kess as your commander, because you will have more access to wheels and artifact destruction. Your deck seems it would benefit a lot from it. Because the main purpose of the white in this deck seems to be Angel's Grace and Enlightened Tutor, while with red you could be running things like Wheel of Fortune and Winds of Change which will get you more synergy with Notion Thief. I also think that Future Sight is too high of CMC and it is a fairly dead card when you Ad Nauseam. Search for Azcanta Flip is probably better for you.
Fragmentize is a good card for you. So are some of the more expensive blue wheels. And if you are trying to storm off anyways why not just play Mind's Desire, you will win with only a 5 or 6 storm count.
1 week ago
Some other cards you might enjoy testing in this deck:
- Dragon Mage
- Teferi's Puzzle Box
- Winds of Change
- Wheel of Fortune
- Minds Aglow
- Temple Bell
- Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
- Arcane Denial
- Well of Ideas
- Kami of the Crescent Moon
- Howling Mine
- Anvil of Bogardan
- Dictate of Kruphix
- Curse of Verbosity
- Blue Sun's Zenith
- Dictate of the Twin Gods
- Furnace of Rath
- Exquisite Blood