|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elemental
Whenever you cast a red spell, if Runaway Steam-Kin has fewer than three +1/+1 counters on it, put a +1/+1 counter on Runaway Steam-Kin.
Remove 3 +1/+1 counters from Runaway Steam-Kin: Gain .
|Have (10)||ahobrien , TypicalTimmy , Abzkaban , AyyAyyRon , golgarigirl , Pumpkinking913 , , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , lorddarkstar , jecder|
|Want (15)||nme253 , Sparky41 , Beeley , Ghastwardude , Gombo , mistarilledawn , TheSuperDodo , lestudent2112 , Black_Honn , Shohdef , Zehro , Guitarthunder , fumatto , DragoKdb , Killuas|
Runaway Steam-Kin Discussion
23 hours ago
Hey ! I've been playing mono-red for some month now and here are my thoughs :
- Deck is looking nice right now, if you want to go at an fnm and get some wins, this deck can do it. Casually, it seems pretty strong tho.
- I like Frenzy in the mainboard more than Risk Factor because it can solo win / steal game one. Thrashing Brontodon , Mortify , Vivien Reid etc are all a pretty hard counter play but Frenzy is still worth it. Game two you switch it out for Risk Factor while your opponent get some enchantment removal into it's mainboard. I played many games against esper control/jund midrange but not that many against sultai and I think it is the best solution I found.
- I splitted my drop 3 as 2 Chainyboi and 2 Legion Warboss ( the remaining copies of them are in sideboard ). The Warboss did so much work against any kind of control/late ( dimir, esper ) deck that doesn't instantly remove him while Chainyboi is "just" a 3/3. Not switching to 4 Warboss because Chainyboi is still dumb strong against mono white and any creature deck ( and it proc spectacle as etb ).
- I removed Runaway Steam-Kin from the deck. It is way too greedy and not that strong in the end. It is strong, but a turn two 1/1 that will prolly die before your next turn ( Cast Down , Moment of Craving , everything ) is meh.
- I don't know about Fanatical Firebrand . I find it really weak but the deck needs some turn 1. I removed it from mine but I can't say it's 100% the right thing.
I hope it will help you and if you have anything to say about this, I will be glad to discuss ! Enjoy mono red !
5 days ago
Wily Goblin , Pirate's Pillage , Captain Lannery Storm , Chandra, Bold Pyromancer , Runaway Steam-Kin , Brass's Bounty , Gilded Lotus , and Chromatic Lantern are all reasonable ramp you could use in red. :D
3 weeks ago
Yeah it's hard to find the balance between creatures and spells, i've found that you need a lot though to consistently kill everyone before dying. In terms of Needle Drop and Runaway Steam-Kin , they're really nice and would do great in this deck but they're just a bit expensive.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Runaway Steam-Kin seems good since it sorta has that miracle grow aspect to it, the problem comes in one department with that initial thought, it caps at 3 counters. In a deck like this I wouldn't think to use it since there's enough reliable ramp that doesn't die to Shock . It also seems to want to be a storm piece, but its rather specific on how it gains counters, specifically needing red spells to be played. Honestly I think Generator Servant would be better in most scenarios, mainly because the mana is the same to get to and it services as an immediate aggro creature that can sac itself to drop a bigger creature that gains haste without set up.
1 month ago
This seems such a fun deck! Indeed, it presents much sturdier threats than red aggro and yet it can deploy a fast clock for the opponent with its various haste creatures, on top of sporting disruption pieces such as Harsh Mentor and the dreaded Blood Moon . Would perhaps Runaway Steam-Kin fit into this deck or would it not do enough?
1 month ago
Snivy__ is correct, the "goblin" tribe isn't really benefiting much from this, I almost wanna run 4x Runaway Steam-Kin over the Instigator, I know we get the value of another goblin, but unless we start running Volley Veteran in the sideboard to take out big threats, we have a hard time keeping the goblin theme alive.
1 month ago
t1: mountain, Ghitu Lavarunner . t2: mountain, Runaway Steam-Kin , attack. Opp at 19. T3: mountain, Cast Shock and 2 Skewer the Critics / Wizard's Lightning , opponent at 11. Attack with both for 6, opp at 5. Remove counters from steam-kin and cast any combination of 2 spells that add up to 5 damage or more (eg Shock and Lightning Strike ).
10 cards on t3 for 20 or more damage.
Runaway Steam-Kin occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
All decks: 0.04%
All decks: 0.2%