Vivien, Monsters' Advocate
Legendary Planeswalker — Vivien
You may look at the top card of your library any time.
You may cast creature spells from the top of your library.
+1: Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token. Put your choice of a vigilance counter, a reach counter, or a trample counter on it.
-2: When you cast your next creature spell this turn, search your library for a creature card with lesser converted mana cost, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Printings View all
|Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths (IKO)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Vivien, Monsters' Advocate Discussion
1 week ago
Tried to tilt it more towards aggro by -
This iteration might be better than the more grindy Vivien one. The problem then is the atrocious manabase, which isn't optimal for an aggro deck.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Wow what a cool looking Primer. Solid deck, you did an absolutely great job! I'm a big Elf tribal fan, because Elves where my first deck ever.
Cool cards that I personally enjoyed playing:
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate = best green planeswalker atm! Cut Yeva and a Forest for Vivien and one/two of the following lands:
- Emergence Zone / Winding Canyons = instead of some Forests
- Sylvan Messenger / Collected Company / Lead the Stampede = much needed carddraw
- Survival of the Fittest / Birthing Pod / Yisan, the Wanderer Bard = best green Tutor-engines
- Ohran Frostfang / Runic Armasaur = really solid carddraw (/Rishkar's Expertise / Return of the Wildspeaker)
- Bane of Progress / Lignify / Song of the Dryads = very good green removal
- Isolated Watchtower / Terrain Generator / Path of Ancestry = cool lands you should consider instead of forests
- Aether Vial + enough draw can snowball really fast
- Cloudstone Curio = an insane combo piece/enabler, especially with: Aluren or Concordant Crossroads
This deck looks already pretty strong, if you want to play on a cEDH table, you just should do some small adjustments:
- Allosaurus Shepherd / Destiny Spinner = instead of the Herald
- Null Rod + Collector Ouphe!!
- Mana Crypt!!
- Chrome Mox / Mox Diamond
- Gemstone Caverns / Ancient Tomb
- Damping Sphere / Thorn of Amethyst = to stop storm decks and slow down other decks
- Sylvan Scrying = to tutor for Cradle or Cavern
- Carpet of Flowers/Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl
I played elves in almost every format and cool combo from modern was: Cloudstone Curio + Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel = infinite mana or with something like Elvish Visionary or Beast Whisperer you can also draw your entire deck if you want
2 months ago
Helloo some reccomendations for improvements
2 months ago
I am absolutely delighted by your comment and I am very honored to know it's your first deck. Thank you so much!!! <3
1) Kogla, the Titan Ape + Hyrax Tower Scout are absolutely perfect replacements, also opens lines up with Eternal Witness for Benefactor's Draught/Vitalize/Touch of Vitae (I'll address this one dw). I wouldn't say slower, since we can actually tutor it whereas Cloudstone Curio has to be drawn or topped off with Genesis Hydra.
2) Heartwood Storyteller has been quite the critical piece, however, I can see it being replaced by Ohran Frostfang, though I were leaning a little into the top-heavy side with this build. I hope your meta isn't too fast as this deck falls by the wayside in T4 metas. As for Touch of Vitae, this is a bit of a lynchpin of sorts as haste the MAIN reason we run it, it ensures that the dork we brought out can actually be used and to win... with an untap. I wouldn't compromise on this card, if it's too difficult for you to obtain add my discord I might be able to help you out. (Inkmoth#4507)
3) Glademuse should be played:
- When you can guarantee 1-2 draws on the rotation you drop it,
- Early on, as most decks are in set up.
- Outlet; try to seal your loops with Prowling Serpopard or bouncing the muse if better outlet achieved
- This one applies to Heartwood Storyteller as well: right before a combo player is going to try to win. i.e resp to Ad Nauseam. We want to give our opponents cards in these situations. The more of the deck we see the easier it becomes to set up lines.
- This is more of practice makes perfect bullet, but the MORE your familiarize yourself with the deck you'll see how giving your opponents cards is meaningless if you can win on top of their wincons. So if you see a line don't jam it out, just wait till the last possible moment.
On discord I would be more than happy to discuss your meta to better assess Glademuse timing
- Castle Garenbrig: Run it, doesn't hurt. I'll slot it in! Thank you! :)
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate: Same reason we don't run Vizier of the Menagerie, except it costs 5, it's sorc speed, it's random and we don't manipulate the top of the deck too much.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed: I love it, haven't found a slot for it though. Maybe if Glademuse is that much of an issue this can be your outlet... though drawing is substantially stronger.
2 months ago
Thank you very much for your build and I'm really enjoying it as my first EDH deck to start with.
I'm planning to build this deck someday once quarantine ends but I'm still fixing up my buylist before I commit into the game. I got a few questions that I hope you can answer when you are free.
1) I've only been playing this deck online so far but I saw your comment on using Hyrax Tower Scout and Kogla, the Titan Ape to replace Cloudstone Curio. Would it be viable for this version or the exclusion of Cloudstone would make the deck too slow?
2) Is there any replacements for old cards like Heartwood Storyteller and Touch of Vitae since my country/LGS doesn't have a lot of old cards?
3) How exactly do you use Glademuse? I find that my opponent gets more value than I do. Am I suppose to bounce the Glademuse back via Temur Sabertooth or Cloudstone Curio, so my opponents don't capitalize on it?
4) Any thoughts on the cards below to be put in the deck?
Sorry for the long wall of text.
2 months ago
3 months ago
You know have Vindictive Vampire, and Bastion of Remembrance as extra aristocrat piece. Have you considered Mikaeus, the Unhallowed? He combos off with Walking Ballista, Woodfall Primus, Triskelion, and Murderous Redcap. Also has excellent synergy with Kokusho, the Evening Star, which is also just a general "good-stuff" card that can keep you in the game. Other just great synergy cards I recommend are Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip, and Phyrexian Tower. Vivien, Monsters' Advocate can outright win games if you are able to keep her for a turn with Prossh into Purphoros.
Check out my list at My Dragon Ate My Homework, and Everything Else.