|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||Common|
|Future Sight (FUT)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Bird Wizard
Flash (You may play this spell any time you could play an instant.)
If an opponent would search a library, that player searches the top four cards of that library instead.
Aven Mindcensor Discussion
14 hours ago
Hey, welcome to TappedOut :) Saw your forum topic asking for help. Very nice first deck. I'm here to give advice therefore I'm going to suggest a lot of upgrades. I hope this doesn't upset you as this is by no means a slight on your deck building.
Orzhov is a really hot guild right now for causal Commander because of Teysa Karlov. Tymna is one of the best Orzhov creatures in Commander, but to abuse her ability you want evasive creatures because they have to do combat damage to opponents to draw cards. Consider expanding on the theme of tokens, Spirit tokens (afterlife) and other flying tokens/creatures? Tokens are good with Teysa as well as Ravos since he's an anthem. Teysa gives tokens lifelink which is helpful to regain life after losing it to draw from Tymna.
Budget cards ($4 or less each) to consider adding:
- Caves of Koilos
- Tainted Field
- Reliquary Tower : staple land, no max hand size is helpful when playing and utilizing Tynma as well as Skullclamp.
- Luminarch Ascension : powerful card in multiplayer Commander since it looks at each opponent's end step. Repeatable source of 4/4 flying tokens is amazing.
- Doomed Traveler : combines with Skullclamp and Teysa to draw lots of cards.
- Tithe Taker : same as Traveler as well as makes it harder for your opponents to cast spells or activate abilities during your turn.
- Aven Mindcensor : staple white creature, tutors are a huge part of Commander this prevents your opponents from using them effectively. Flying helps with Tynma.
- Reveillark : staple white creature, combos with Karmic Guide and is very good with Teysa. Can reanimate Teysa/Tynma as well as creatures with afterlife. Good with recursion of Ravos.
- Karmic Guide : staple white creature, combos with Reveillark to reanimate lots of 2 or less power creatures. Good with recursion of Ravos.
- Spectral Procession
- Lingering Souls
- Blind Obedience : helps to clear away some blockers to do combat damage to opponents. Mana rocks are huge part of Commander and this prevents your opponents from using rocks the turn they play them. Extort is nice to gain some life and make opponents lose life.
- Spirit Bonds : repeatable way to make flying tokens.
- Edgewalker : Tymna and Ravos are Clerics this reduces their mana costs. Tymna costs only one mana and Ravos three mana. There's also a lot of other Clerics here.
- Pitiless Plunderer : creates treasures, very good with Teysa and a sac outlet. Works with tokens.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim : sac outlet and repeatable exile. With Edgewalker she's free to cast.
- Soul Warden : gain life when creatures ETB (enter the battlefield) even opponents creatures, tokens ETB when they're created.
- Soul's Attendant : same as Warden.
- Sun Titan : staple white creature, reanimate any 3 or less permanent when ETB or attacks is great.
- Swords to Plowshares : staple white removal, exile is very helpful in Commander.
- Crush Contraband : exiling any two artifacts or enchantments at instant speed for four mana is good.
- Orzhov Signet : two drop mana rock.
Can add all these cards for about $25. All for less than one Demonic Tutor , haha :)
Cards to consider cutting:
- Orzhov Guildgate
- New Benalia
- Forge of Heroes
- Basilica Bell-Haunt
- Ghost Council of Orzhova
- Loyal Unicorn
- Necrotic Ooze
- Regal Bloodlord
- Skeletal Vampire
- Syndicate Guildmage
- Visara the Dreadful
- Butcher of Malakir
- Hero of Precinct One
- Pitiless Pontiff
- Perpetual Timepiece
- Blessing of Leeches
- Open the Graves
- Consecrate / Consume
- In Garruk's Wake
- Pull from Eternity
- Sorin, Grim Nemesis
Good luck with your deck.
6 days ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help. Amazing causal deck. I'm finding it difficult to spot very many possible upgrades.
Consider cutting a few of the lower impact big creatures for some more two drop mana rocks, a board wipe, a draw spell, a tutor and a few lower CMC support creatures? I'm guessing since you don't have Mana Crypt, Mox Diamond and Chrome Mox already that those cards are out of your price range?
Cards to consider adding:
- Talisman of Dominance
- Talisman of Progress
- Fellwar Stone
- Toxic Deluge
- Demonic Tutor
- Merchant Scroll
- Mother of Runes
- Aven Mindcensor
- Trinket Mage
- Notion Thief
- Polluted Delta
- Flooded Strand
A Delta and a Strand would help the manabase a lot.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Mortuary Mire
- Halimar Depths
- Djinn of Wishes
- Diluvian Primordial
- Artisan of Kozilek
- Sepulchral Primordial
- Twilight Prophet
- Enigma Sphinx
- Magister Sphinx
- Darksteel Ingot
- Commander's Sphere
- Time Reversal
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Usually in hulk mirrors I tend to move more toward a slowerish build of the deck, as a lot of the time in hulk mirrors, multiple people will be threatening a flash, so the first person to cast flash is going to be responded to with someone else's flash, and then they lose, so the games generally turn into posturing and landing secondary threats that let you get your flash off uncontested.
Now that the theory is out of the way, these are the cards that I like in hulk mirrors:
- Aven Mindcensor stupid good in mirrors, it takes their hulk offline while keeping yours live, swings with evasion for Tymna, and also protects itself by making it super hard to actually find an answer for it by neutering tutors
- Crop Rotation + Boseiju, Who Shelters All as a way to force your flash through countermagic when people start having the mana to hold up countermagic every turn
- Depending on how you like to play the deck, you can also try slotting in Rhystic Study and/or Runic Armasaur
1 week ago
Hey goldlion, I love the unique direction you took this deck in. Here are a few cards that may help you out:
Aven Mindcensor -> 10 damage to look at top 4 ;P. Also really shuts downs tutors.
Field of Ruin Mandatory search clause. It can also be used for politicking against the Archenemy.
1 week ago
Emeria, The Sky Ruin free hatebear.
Dawn Charm useful tech.
Solemnity might be a strong tax depending on meta.
Alms Collector white tax and card draw.
Sanctum Prelate evil.
Chancellor of the Annex personal favorite.
Palladium Myr seems out of place. Phyrexian Revoker
1 week ago
Hey, an idea to consider is to use Aminatou, but play base white and blue, just splashing black only for her. This would simplify the manabase making it essentially a two color manabase with a few budget dual lands/mana rocks that can make black such as Command Tower , Caves of Koilos , Exotic Orchard , Sunken Hollow , Signets/Talismans, Fellwar Stone , Commander's Sphere and Chromatic Lantern .
Lavinia, Azorius Renegade and Aven Mindcensor are cards to consider to help against your Jodah opponent. Lavinia counters spells that are cast for free, she shuts down Omniscience. Her other ability stops your opponents from casting noncreature spells that are higher mana cost than the amount of lands that they control. Jodah's ability lets your opponent ignore normal mana costs of cards, but Lavinia stops this for noncreature cards because she looks at the actual mana cost of a card that's cast no matter what.
Mindcensor helps to even the playing field against your opponent's tutors. Instead of your opponent searching their entire library for a card they can only search the top four cards which is a big difference. This card stops Conflux. Against Jodah you want to try to keep him off the battlefield or shut him down when he's on the battlefield. Imprisoned in the Moon , Deep Freeze and Darksteel Mutation are enchantments that when Jodah is enchanted by one of them he loses his ability to change the mana cost of spells. They also don't kill Jodah this means that enchanted Jodah stays on the battlefield, but is useless for your opponent until he/she or another opponent can remove the enchantment. Since they're enchantments you can blink them with Aminatou and change what creature you enchant.
Another idea is if you want to make a completely new deck with a new Commander is consider Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow ? She's one of the strongest cards in the precon and is only two colors. A deck built around her however will be completely different than one with Aminatou. To make a deck from start to finish I think would be a very good learning experience for you.
2 weeks ago
Hey, you're welcome. I like the changes you've made.
Is Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade worth it? Even though they're Angels they seem only good for flavor not because they're good cards. How offer can you have both in your control to make Brisela, Voice of Nightmares and is Brisela even worth it in Commander? Consider Aven Mindcensor and Luminarch Ascension ?
Mindcensor slows down decks that are relying on tutoring for cards, just about all decks in Commander. One problem with mono white in Commander is a lack of tutors. This puts you a quite a disadvantage against opponents who have a lot of tutors or Fetch lands. Mindcensor helps to even the playing field.
Luminarch Ascension is a great Angel themed card for multiplayer Commander because it looks at each of your opponents end steps. This means that against three opponents just going around the table one duration can give you three counters which is fast to activate it's ability. When it's active, two mana at instant speed to make a 4/4 Angel is very good. Not to mention that you can create as many Angels as you want depending on how much mana you have. Mono white lacks a lot of draw options that other colors have access too therefore you want cards for card advantage (repeatable effects) and Ascension is good at doing that.
3 weeks ago
I think scrubbing the illicit content and some of the politics was an improvement, though I will not pretend to know what you are trying to say. I suppose the important thing is that you understand it, since it seems to be your way of expressing yourself.
For Green/Blue counters, are you trying to make a fun deck or something competitive? For fun, Experiment Kraj might be an interesting option. It was recently reprinted, so I expect it might increase its popularity some, but, as of right now, it seems to be fairly unused.
I think Ezuri, Claw of Progress is the traditional Simic +1/+1 counter commander though.
My SO has a pretty fun deck that runs Necropotence alongside Children of Korlis and graveyard recursion, allowing her to burn down to next-to-nothing, then sacrifice Children to recover the lost health. Necropotence ensures she draws into her recursion spells, allowing her to use Children again.
Upgrading your account on this site is a one-time payment of $5.00. Besides supporting this wonderful website, you also (a) get the ability to change your name's design, (b) can enable chat, allowing private one-on-one conversations with other users, and (c) it provides you the ability to edit your posts for a couple minutes after you make them.
There are not different levels to the upgrade--the base upgrade allows you to make as fancy as a username as you want, provided you are able to write the code (or have someone help you with the code) for it.
I presumed that you, being an active member of tappedout, designed this deck because you wanted to share your inner thoughts with other people. Some of these thoughts, however, such as the political ones, really do not belong in open discussion.
I am not sure I know how to comment on the names and things in your description. A whole lot of it is anime references I do not know (I think the only one I did recognize was Puella Magi Madoka Magica), and there is a lot of stream of consciousness that can be a bit hard to follow. I think what is important is (a) making sure you feel it is a good representation of yourself, and (b) that you are not discussing topics which really should not be raised in a public MTG forum.
I know that's not really helpful for your deck and description, but I am really reluctant to critique something you find so personal. It would be a bit silly for me to say how you should define and represent yourself!
Aven Mindcensor occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.03%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.06%
W/U (Azorius): 1.37%