|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Common|
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for it flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (30)||NOGzFTW , BBBr0ny , plof , frederiklw , darthnuchi , GoldGhost012 , Supremespeed , NobleSlay3r , the.beanpole , angesoir , burnedbread , corys , duff87 , jtfran02 , , rakdos24 , Metaphisyk , Wiggins , philktoken8998 , MattN7498 , mziter501 , ToolmasterOfBrainerd , ironax , Riku580 , tlhunter07 , bakeraj4 , DruneGrey , Mortiferus_Rosa , Azdranax , LTmiller|
|Want (3)||VampSlayer , Gabeph , ryuzaki32667|
Faithless Looting Discussion
4 days ago
With no fetch shock package and this many taplands, you should prbably only play 3 colors, but which color to cut, I don't know.
Cut down on your enchantments. They don't do anything the turn they are played, and they take too long for you to get back your value. Also cut down a bit on Embalmer's Tools the card if fine the context of the deck, but having 4 is still pretty clunky.
The worst cards in your creature-base right now are Heart-Piercer Manticore, because it requires you to have another creature with the right amount of power to take out their creature to work, and it's a 4 drop that dies to bolt. Heart-Piercer Manticore because it's got awful stats, and is only good when you are really far ahead. Kami of the Crescent Moon because your opponent gets to benefit from it before you do, it costs 2 blue, and doesn't support your general strategy.
5 days ago
1 week ago
In doing so thought I'd mention a few things, see if anything is helpful, probably not,
Fabricate can pull the Isochron Scepter for your Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal (or the Mana Crypt/Sol Ring that is needed to enable the combo?). I know you have Muddle the Mixture to tutor these, but you could Muddle the Mixture the Dramatic Reversal and Fabricate the Isochron Scepter as an additional tool. Worst case you Fabricate a Mana Crypt for net mana.
Personal Tutor can pull a Fabricate to top of deck, or if you have Temporal Mastery it can pull that to the top to Miracle for (Personal Tutor) + Temporal Mastery miracle to get the extra turn. You don't actually miss a draw, because you still draw on the extra turn you wouldn't have had anyway (technically). Also I find even if Temporal Mastery is in my hand, Brainstorm can make it favorable, or just wheel it away (not super effective), but you may even cast it for CMC7 in odd cases. Think Twice can Miracle it on opponents turns too, that would be fun.
You could run Show and Tell + Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, I think Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind would trigger? (but not sure), but your already tutoring enchantments which is very difficult. I know it sucks (no card advantage), but Gamble is a way to tutor a Curiosity and go for the win early. I think Gamble is a necessary evil here due to the difficulty of tutoring enchantments. You could also run Laboratory Maniac to win, even when you Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity maybe you need it to overcome a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice that's gained 60 life or something, just as an alternative to the draw/damage, once your out of cards in your library, no more way to output damage. Beacon of Tomorrows can also save you here too.
Faithless Looting can help with the cycling of the cards too for . Trinket Mage could tutor a Mana Crypt or Sol Ring for or you could add Great Furnace / Seat of the Synod and tutor a land, since Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is CMC6, ramping spells never hurt.
Lightning Greaves can Haste enable him so he doesn't have to survive, although you have the Counterspell if you don't have a Pact of Negation or a Force of Will handy can protect him, especially in a 4-player pod where you can't Gitaxian Probe everyone. With so few creatures, I get why it's out.
I use Turnabout + Nivix Guildmage to Infinite mana, they can also be used with Frantic Search + Izzet Boilerworks + Nivix Guildmage to Tutor Curiosity or Ophidian Eye or Mind Over Matter. I really over-utilize Nivix Guildmage so probably not right here, but thought I'd mention as it is a tutor to your combos.
Scalding Tarn and Cascade Bluffs would be good land upgrades, you have other fetches so probably didn't need to say this, but Ash Barrens also good because if you need a color it can landcycle and filter out a land, if you dont need it, it comes in untapped and doesn't slow progression down at all.
Anyways, like I mentioned, not a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind player, but I know how Tutoring really flattens out the consistency on a combo deck, especially one where you have no direct tutors (Gamble) to get the Enchantments to your hand, so some Janky ones might be of interest.
PS: some evaluations,
Magmatic Insight feels wrong, I like the draw, but sacrificing a land with a CMC6 commander still feels wrong? Plus if you draw it later in the game, it could be a dead draw until you draw a land.
Thought Scour is a pod-specific card? I don,t see much graveyard recursion here, so I assume your pod is top-deck tutoring that you need a response too? Or maybe just looking for as many Cantips as possible? Maybe Whispers of the Muse if you have the infinite mana going, gives you the infinite draw too.
Flusterstorm feels like a dead draw sometimes, especially against . If it's in your opening draw, it probably great, outside of that it's going to be less effective (but not always).
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 week ago
1 week ago
1 week ago
There are a few cards I would definetly not run in this deck;
Boros Charm It's really not as strong. The only part that's relevant for Firesong is Damage, and only goes to face, not to a creature.
Orim's Chant People have lots of instant-speed interactions in commander. This card really doesn't do anything, it's a bit too cute IMO.
Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast. Although they seem nice... they are way too situational. If nobody plays blue, or the only person who plays blue is not a threat to you, these two cards are worthless.
Insult / Injury Not really sure of this. Sure it can be nice, but you exchange two cards for hardly none.
Paradox Engine Why? Nothing in this deck works with storm.
Here are some card idea's that I had laying around:
1 week ago
If you want consistency, you will need card filtering, which means either going for blue cantrips like Serum Visions, Sleight of Hand ...etc. or for red looting effects like Faithless Looting.
If you want to abuse black "you lose the game" enchantments, i think it would be better to play white flicker effects. If you run Ad Nauseam, then (despite neither of us liking it), Lightning Storm is miles ahead of Zombie Infestation. What i am trying to say is that these two plans are not necessarily best suited to be played in the same deck. (there are more very painful, black enchantments to be abused, beside Demonic Pact, like Bitterblossom, Phyrexian Etchings ...etc. - or even Null Profusion for the completely mental players)
Like the previous poster mentioned Death's Shadow is a card that has great potential for builds like this, and i would add, that cards like Fling & Rite of Consumption are madly strong with it.
They often mean game if the opponent tries to race you, as they can act as walls, or just go to face if painful manabases, or bob put them in range of the 13 dmg bolt.
For some reason - probably thanks to lorwyn block art - i have a very visceral disgust of merfolk (which got reduced a lot in ixalan)...
If you are thinking about playing red, then pairing up Spreading Seas with Blood Moon seems like a strategy that in itself is often enough to win, not to mention, that you would get access to one of if not the best merfolk of all time Jori En, Ruin Diver, which can be pretty crazy, but you would likely have to give up the vial plan, in favour of cantrips, and cheap stuff in general. (+ Lightning Bolt aka. shit removal spell, that has a great failure mode, going to the face)
Imho, i don't think green merfolk is anything special, it trades if vulnerability to Choke, for being hit by Blood Moon, and the green creatures it gains are often not helping the "play all the lords & islandwalk for the win" strategy that the deck want to play, not to tmenion that playing Phantasmal Image as the X-th lord offers the option to copy value cards that are run by goodstuff decks (Dark Confidant for example).
Beside the general black packages, like targeted discard, draw for life, and destroy effect, there is not much reason to go black - Sygg, River Cutthroat exists, but he is more of a rogue tribal card, a merfolk.
SCORE: 18 | 6 COMMENTS | 3017 VIEWS | IN 10 FOLDERS
I am looking for criticism of my deck (that goes beyond, stating the obvious difference from the standard RB hollow one lists), i would be even more happy if i could be hit by constructive ciritcism, and suggestions, but i will be happy with what i can get