|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Common|
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for it flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||NOGzFTW , maR2307 , BBBr0ny , plof , , dplerner , frederiklw , darthnuchi , the.beanpole , GoldGhost012 , Sparky41 , Wiggins , Supremespeed , ToolmasterOfBrainerd , rockleemyhero , NobleSlay3r , ironax , bakeraj4 , DruneGrey , LTmiller|
Faithless Looting Discussion
1 day ago
I will say Cathartic Reunion and Faithless Looting seem great at first glance, but in reality they put you down cards (in the case of looting). Cathartic Reunion then at best only gives you costly filtering, so you might be better off trying to find other ways to actually accrue advantage, such as other planeswalkers like Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Outpost Siege, or with a relatively low curve you may feel adventurous with Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip (this has the downside of not letting you play lands and not having a potential second mode).
4 days ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
5 days ago
I also do not posses a Timetwister or Candelabra of Tawnos though I really wish I did. As for Faithless Looting all the things you listed are true however it is 2 cards for 3 and generally unless your playing re-animator people run other options, however it is totally a very good 1 drop in red and if its been working for you then by all means continue to use it. I think that changing Phyrexian Metamorph and Misdirection into the stated cards would be the strongest change you could make to the deck. Now Paradox Engine can be very powerful but I do think that By Force and Vandalblast are better at getting out from under stacks pieces than it is. Also traditionally these grixis storm decks are very slim and run off of High Tide and Ad Nauseam pretty much exclusively as to get as much value form them as possible. Paradox Engine doesn't synergize with either of those cards. With Kess, Dissident Mage you should be attempting to cast High Tide twice in a turn more than you should be trying to get a Paradox Engine out. If you do this add more islands.
5 days ago
Sgtpopnfreash First of all, thanks a lot for your comments!
I don't actually have Timetwister, Candelabra of Tawnos, Flusterstorm, Copy Artifact, Volcanic Island, Underground Sea and The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, but if I had them, I would certainly use them in this deck.
I'll tell you why I like having Faithless Looting in my deck. 1) it enables me to trade three(including itself) cards from my hand for two new other cards, while discarding lands or cards that i'll be able to cast later with Kess, dissident mage , such as Mind's Desire, 2) It interacts well in some Doomsday piles that I like to settle sometimes, 3) It helps me to trigger Threshold for Cabal Ritual. Cephalid Coliseum have a similar effect enabling me to trade three cards from my hand for three new cards, while it enters untapped and taps for blue mana.
Mizzix's Mastery and Paradox Engine are too powerful for not to use them. With Paradox Engine on the field I can easely storm out and with a tutor or enough draws I can quickly close the game. It also helps me to avoid some stax effects, which my playgroup is consistently improving. I'm also considering adding Vandalblast or By Force to deal with tax and stax artifacts.
Please let me know your thoughts on my comment.
6 days ago
Hey this is quite similar to my DD storm Kess list some suggestions I have. Misdirection is pretty high CMC for Ad Nauseam you could probably cut that. Some ad naus decks dont even run Force of Will but I think that is stupid. Faithless Looting isnt as good as some other draw spells, Night's Whisper or Chart A Course would both probably be better choices for your Doomsday piles. Phyrexian Metamorph is also very high mana costed for an Ad Nauseam deck, maybe think about Copy Artifact. Now Paradox Engine is interesting but I really haven't found it to be necessary for Kess decks specifically, between Yawgmoth's Will, the black rituals, High Tide and Kess herself you dont need Paradox Engine for more mana. Its just excessive. Other than that the deck looks pretty good I would add a few more Islands and probably cut Cavern of Souls and Cephalid Coliseum at least maybe some of the orchards too. Mizzix's Mastery, Thought Vessel and Fabricate all seem like iffy choices but they are fine if you don't have other cards.
Here is my kess deck if you would like to check it out. Kess Doomsday Storm
1 week ago
Yes, Titan's Strength, that's much better. I don't need +3 defense if my creatures are suppose to be unblockable anyway, right? And the scry effect can replace the card advantage for Faithless Looting so I can use those card slots for something else. I love faithless looting but it just doesn't feel right in most mono decks. Thanks for the suggestion.
1 week ago
Lost Legacy is a good card, but has 3 problems:1) It's sorcery, not instant such as Extirpate or Surgical Extraction.2) Costs 3 mana (but this isnt a real drawback).3) Although it makes me exile what I don't need, it makes me draw cards. This means I can't use it on apostles cause i'll lose the match due to the fact i can't afford to draw 25 cards all in one turn. (consider 25 apostles + 3 lands (not fetching them, or you have to count them doubled) + 1 lost legacy + other 1/2 cards in hand + 1 card draw per upkeep in hand for a total of 33 cards, minimum, out of my library before drawing 25. It's a risk). Although it is very useful after you have removed all apostles with a Surgical Extraction or an Extirpate,the mana cost and the type (sorcery) make it a less desiderable card.