|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Each spell costs (3) more to play except during its controller's turn.
Defense Grid Discussion
1 week ago
The Koziest of tutor targets. Ok; so he can tutor for kozilek; but the engineered explosives on 1 is pre' bad for this deck anyway - most of your problem permanents are 2 mana ( Cursed Totem , Defense Grid , Sphere of Resistance , Null Rod / Stony Silence , tibalt). There are so very few options who get nutted by blast zone (I think you have six 2-drops) that it seems fairly worthwhile. Yes, I know that all of your removal hits all of those problem-cards already as you're in green, but this is a land that hits multiple at once, as opposed to being 1-for-1, this card is (genuinely) card parity in a 4-player game (since every card has to be 3-for-1 or it's card disparity).
1 week ago
Sorry if any of these are in the deck. I'm admittedly just copying and pasting a post I did for another Lavinia list.
Fatespinner (this card is amazing), Thorn of Amethyst , Sphere of Resistance , Defense Grid , Thalia, Guardian of Thraben , Linvala, Keeper of Silence , Torpor Orb , Kataki, War's Wage , Tocatli Honor Guard , Propaganda , Ghostly Prison , Rite of Replication , Winter Orb , Rising Waters , Stasis , and Static Orb are all options as you tweak this for your meta.
1 week ago
Overall, the Commander choice can be swapped to any Legendary. I don't particularly like Teysa, Orzhov Scion as you need Teysa + Razaketh, the Foulblooded + a creature. Teysa's ability doesn't work on herself and Razaketh can't sacrifice himself. Daxos is the same CMC as Teysa, so they work the same, except Daxos is Pay 2 Life: Search your Library for a card and put that card into your hand. Teysa needs another creature on board, and in order to get a second tutor, the creature that dies needs to be . You could run Darkest Hour but you need to ensure it is on board before you sacrifice. If Darkest Hour is your first tutor, the you still have the issue of needing to sacrifice a creature for the Teysa token to enter.
Daxos + Razaketh + = Tutor.
Teysa + Razaketh + Creature = Tutor.
In both scenarios the Commander can be sacrificed for a second Tutor, but Teysa doesn't provide any value being sacrificed. Teysa doesn't see added value if the first creature sacrificed isn't Black, and won't see value over Daxos with the additional tutor line until the third Tutor. If need be, Daxos can be your second sacrifice, but with Teysa you will want to keep her on board to get any value from her.
Sanctum Prelate is an interesting card. My only concern is what number would we call? 2 seems most likely, to stop Counter magic, but that stops us from casting 2/3 of our Reanimate Auras. You could call 1 in order to stop the single mana Counters and then you only stop your own Altar of the Brood .
Winter Orb is a great idea, I will definitely look into adding it with other stuff like Defense Grid . You should not overvalue Serra's Sanctum though. I have it included in the deck because I own it, but it is rarely game breaking. It is a good land, but most games end before it really starts to show value. I find myself tutoring for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth more often.
There are 8 cards to win from the LRW combo. A few of these pieces can be removed. Altar of the Brood is not one that should be removed though. It provides a win from LRW or the Bomberman combo. Grim Guardian works with both combos, (as long as you're running Daxos as the Commander), and Underworld Coinsmith is primarily for Bomberman. If you're looking to cut one or more of them, Falkenrath Noble is the most expensive to cast. If you want the universal effect then Cruel Celebrant or Zulaport Cutthroat are likely cuts. Altar of Dementia provides a Mill win if you don't have access to Altar of the Brood. This is a useful piece to keep as it helps you win around Solitary Confinement / Phyrexian Unlife effects.
1 week ago
Fatespinner (this card is amazing), Fellwar Stone , Thorn of Amethyst , Sphere of Resistance , Defense Grid , Thalia, Guardian of Thraben , Linvala, Keeper of Silence , Torpor Orb , Kataki, War's Wage , Tocatli Honor Guard , Propaganda , Ghostly Prison , Rite of Replication , Winter Orb , Rising Waters , Stasis , and Static Orb are all options as you tweak thus for your meta.
2 weeks ago
Older20 Definitely would recommend Price of Glory Grand Abolisher or Defense Grid . With my experience in Marchesa, Aven Mindcensor is usually okay but super easy to kill and Stranglehold tends to be much better.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
King_C_Waffa Thank you for your input! You're correct in assuming I'm pretty new to cEDH, although I have probably 7 other decks IRL that already have all snow lands and Extraplanar Lens . I don't feel it's necessary for this deck though. I don't play EDH competitively very often because in my area all the cEDH players are insufferable assholes, plus I tend to play more for fun usually. However, I just had to take a stab at this deck. So let's get down to the suggestions:
- Intuition is great. I knew it felt like I was missing some powerful tutor. It is definitely being added.
- Paradigm Shift seemed decent, which was why it was in the maybeboard, but I've had a day to think about it and I agree it should be in here.
- I'm not sure I need Windfall . I did consider it, but I think most of the time Tolarian Winds is going to be better since the odds are that I won't draw it until I'm comboing off anyway.
- I have multiple back up win conditions in the deck already, and although I was being cute with the Charbelcher combo with Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter I'll probably swap that over to an Aetherflux Reservoir . Paradox Engine might find its way in
- Panharmonicon is in because I have a strong feeling I'll need to rebuild many times, and this helps me do so. But you know what? Let's go more defensive. This is going to be a Defense Grid .
- Mox Amber is terrible in commander, usually. I play it none of my other decks. I think it's perfectly fine in this deck since I'm only trying to get to 6 mana and Fblthp should be in play most of the time.
- Daze is probably fine to cut, I agree.
- I also do not know what the point of Paradoxical Outcome was. When I built this list at work, I first settled on a number of lands to run and then all I did was add cards until I had exactly 100, and the maybeboard cards on here were all cards I thought of afterward. Up until now, I haven't touched the list since I made it. I think I had some dumb idea with it originally but never followed up with whatever it was, so yeah it needs to change.
So all in all, I think the current changes are as follows:
3 weeks ago
Yeah, this is definitely more stompy than ramp. As such, I'd replace the mana dorks with Experiment One and Pelt Collector . Defense Grid also feels a little strange mainboard. You'd usually rather have as many strong beaters as possible. Other good 2 drops include Avatar of the Resolute and Scavenging Ooze . Finally, I think Might of Old Krosa isn't quite as good here as in infect since stompy is slower and relies on more versatile options. If you're all in on the OTK with Groundbreaker , Aspect of Hydra would be an alternative to check out. It works well with the high devotion count of the Leatherback Baloth s of the world.
Defense Grid occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%