|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Common|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
Untap up to three lands.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||xXThormentXx , Boza , bakunet , Benniator , angesoir , killstars , lolpatrol , Joblaska , duff87 , meowCat1234 , Esquire_ , ForeverLoading... , itheoryz , KillDatBUG , XxCataclysmiCxX , , Daddy1ong1egs13 , LTmiller|
|Want (35)||MementoMuffin , FF42 , buildingadeck , foxboy93 , cubandoc , XVicarious , magnoz , Chaospowers , MTGskrub , GS10 , Blind_Guardian , ryaniskool , Rahvin_dom , Viper_3000 , snackeater , tahavin , jeremy3036 , VaultTechy , Killer_Tofu , MasterBaty , rco , CryAll , TiredTofu , bpm4 , ryuzaki32667 , chrishuffman95 , ForeverLoading... , DeifiedExile , Fullmetalmage , CaitSeith , mango_channel , Syram , macaroniman , CarlyRaeJepsenMTG , kovellen|
Frantic Search Discussion
4 weeks ago
Cards to try out:
1 month ago
Thought I would mention, I've found Reality Spasm works as good as Turnabout but takes a little more mana to kick-off, doubles chance of drawing the Infinite mana enabler, and can tutor the other half.
Also, as an alternative to Reiterate I also run Nivix Guildmage. As you can imagine, any combination of Turnabout or Reality Spasm + Reiterate or Nivix Guildmage, all work together, increased consistency of drawing into it, or being able to draw some parts and tutor the missing parts. Imperial Recruiter can Tutor Nivix Guildmage so can Muddle the Mixture out of interest, and both work on 3 other creatures (Muddle the Mixture works on any other CMC2 card as well).
Mana Geyser also can go Infinite mana if you play in 4-player pods regularly.
Also with Nivix Guildmage,
If one of the Islands is a Steam Vents you can get Infinite Mana. Built in Tutor as well thanks to Frantic Search. If you don't have High Tide an Izzet Boilerworks gives you the ability to use Frantic Search to Tutor any card, just doesn't give you Infinite Mana, unless you Tutor to your High Tide and cast of course (it's an instant!).
I would recommend Disallow it can handle lots of interactions people need to start their Infinite Combos, maybe delaying them a turn, or solving the issue all together.
Mana Crypt is a nice mana accelerator, quite pricey though, a Fabricate makes a nice Mana Crypt tutor (or possibly Net + with 2 Experience, can be used on a Sol Ring too or Thought Vessel if you need the no maximum hand size for some reason.
Jace, the Mind Sculptor? He's like another Cantrip.
I tried Metallurgic Summonings, I found Docent of Perfection Flip to be more utility, it's secondary ability is good but not great. Some people play Talrand, Sky Summoner, I wouldn't. To be honest, I know it's CMC7 so doesn't make any sense, but Sphinx-Bone Wand wins me games, if I can get any type of Reiterate going it's a win-con. If you have the Blue Sun's Zenith or something in your hand already then ok, but it's like another really bad Guttersnipe.
1 month ago
In doing so thought I'd mention a few things, see if anything is helpful, probably not,
Fabricate can pull the Isochron Scepter for your Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal (or the Mana Crypt/Sol Ring that is needed to enable the combo?). I know you have Muddle the Mixture to tutor these, but you could Muddle the Mixture the Dramatic Reversal and Fabricate the Isochron Scepter as an additional tool. Worst case you Fabricate a Mana Crypt for net mana.
Personal Tutor can pull a Fabricate to top of deck, or if you have Temporal Mastery it can pull that to the top to Miracle for (Personal Tutor) + Temporal Mastery miracle to get the extra turn. You don't actually miss a draw, because you still draw on the extra turn you wouldn't have had anyway (technically). Also I find even if Temporal Mastery is in my hand, Brainstorm can make it favorable, or just wheel it away (not super effective), but you may even cast it for CMC7 in odd cases. Think Twice can Miracle it on opponents turns too, that would be fun.
You could run Show and Tell + Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, I think Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind would trigger? (but not sure), but your already tutoring enchantments which is very difficult. I know it sucks (no card advantage), but Gamble is a way to tutor a Curiosity and go for the win early. I think Gamble is a necessary evil here due to the difficulty of tutoring enchantments. You could also run Laboratory Maniac to win, even when you Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity maybe you need it to overcome a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice that's gained 60 life or something, just as an alternative to the draw/damage, once your out of cards in your library, no more way to output damage. Beacon of Tomorrows can also save you here too.
Faithless Looting can help with the cycling of the cards too for . Trinket Mage could tutor a Mana Crypt or Sol Ring for or you could add Great Furnace / Seat of the Synod and tutor a land, since Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is CMC6, ramping spells never hurt.
Lightning Greaves can Haste enable him so he doesn't have to survive, although you have the Counterspell if you don't have a Pact of Negation or a Force of Will handy can protect him, especially in a 4-player pod where you can't Gitaxian Probe everyone. With so few creatures, I get why it's out.
I use Turnabout + Nivix Guildmage to Infinite mana, they can also be used with Frantic Search + Izzet Boilerworks + Nivix Guildmage to Tutor Curiosity or Ophidian Eye or Mind Over Matter. I really over-utilize Nivix Guildmage so probably not right here, but thought I'd mention as it is a tutor to your combos.
Scalding Tarn and Cascade Bluffs would be good land upgrades, you have other fetches so probably didn't need to say this, but Ash Barrens also good because if you need a color it can landcycle and filter out a land, if you dont need it, it comes in untapped and doesn't slow progression down at all.
Anyways, like I mentioned, not a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind player, but I know how Tutoring really flattens out the consistency on a combo deck, especially one where you have no direct tutors (Gamble) to get the Enchantments to your hand, so some Janky ones might be of interest.
PS: some evaluations,
Magmatic Insight feels wrong, I like the draw, but sacrificing a land with a CMC6 commander still feels wrong? Plus if you draw it later in the game, it could be a dead draw until you draw a land.
Thought Scour is a pod-specific card? I don,t see much graveyard recursion here, so I assume your pod is top-deck tutoring that you need a response too? Or maybe just looking for as many Cantips as possible? Maybe Whispers of the Muse if you have the infinite mana going, gives you the infinite draw too.
Flusterstorm feels like a dead draw sometimes, especially against . If it's in your opening draw, it probably great, outside of that it's going to be less effective (but not always).
2 months ago
Move Nezahal, Primal Tide to Draw. The draw makes him good more than anything... Like another Sphinx.
Glacial Chasm Count it as a land and take a land out. Downsides: Requires Muldrotha in play; Pricey Fog that requires players to run MLD or recurring land removal to answer; Probably not fun/healthy. Idk... I would play it competively, but you might regret having it in casuals.
Yavimaya Elder I bet you the is going to be annoying and he's 5 mana to run. Muldrotha is going to be under a lot of pressure to get things out when she's alive so he's by himself, really, and blue has good draw... so more baubles imo.
World Shaper If the gimmick isn't fun, out with him.
Ramunap Excavator I think Muldrotha covers both of these and only good if you hit the dinosaur or oracle.
- Perpetual Timepiece > Dreamborn Muse > Frantic Search. I would pick one. Probably the one that is worth and easy to cast with Muldrotha.
- Sultai Charm Versatile, but also conditional. I think we just wheel/loot into the removal we need.
So... we have enough cards that are good when Muldrotha is in play. Lets pretend she's dead (indefinitely)...
- Compulsive Research "Draw 2"
- Dark Bargain "Draw 2, lose 2 life"
- Birthing Pod < Sidisi, Undead Vizier < Final Parting cut two of these. Pod needs you to be creature based and to be built around... I think it interferes too much with the plan and is better with Elves and tokens. The latter two are close. Both want Muldrotha in play, but I think fetching Mimeoplasm or Ooze (or Dark Depths/Hexmage!) with Parting is stronger and less conditional. I love Sidisi though ;(
- Swan Song and/or Pact of Negation Negation is better if you have lots of counterspells or have to storm. If someone can tap your lands, gg. Sub in Voidmage Prodigy (same thing but reusable).
- Vedalken Orrery I don't think its worth when it doesn't interact with Muldrotha. You're running ramp and, again, not a lot of counterspells so you can just leave the mana open and spend it elsewhere instead of dumping into Orrery.
Also consider subbing more enchantment removal just to even the slots.
2 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 months ago
If your interested, I have quite a bit of discussion in my description around some combos and Alternative card evaluations.
Since you've invested the $5 in Rite of Replication you can put in Dualcaster Mage <$1 to get infinite Dualcaster Mage. They won't have haste, which sucks, but puts everyone on a 1 turn timer to deal with the Dualcaster Mage horde thats coming next turn! Very $100 budget conscious.
I abuse Nivix Guildmage in my deck, Turnabout $4, Reality Spasm <$1, Frantic Search $2 as a couple examples. Turnabout is just made to go Infinite, You can cut a few $'s by removing the Propaganda $7 and replacing with this guy. Turnabout and Reality Spasm can also go Infinite with Reiterate.
Cyclonic Rift is just too expensive if you're trying to get under $100. It's sad, AMAZING card.
Command Tower $3 isn't necessary with all the draw in and only being 65% 35% .
Just some ideas. Can save $30 there pretty easily and not loose too much value.
Hope something here helps anyway. +1.
2 months ago
I'm assuming your goal is to combo off with Marisil ASAP, so here's my suggestions:
Focus on whatever combo is quickest to help streamline your strategy. Combo decks work best when they have one specific, achievable goal.
I'd add Lightning Greaves to help protect Marisil.
More mana rocks will help you get off to a faster start as well Sol Ring, Fellwar Stone, Mind Stone, Prismatic Lens, Dimir Signet and Izzet Signet should all be here. If you run more mana rocks you can cut your land count down to 32-33 with no problems.
These are the most obvious ways I can see to improve your deck. Hopefully some of those ideas help!
2 months ago
If you can afford it Training Grounds is really nice in this deck. Buried Alive can also be helpful if you have certain pieces you want to reanimate. Lich Lord of Unx can also be really helpful, given that he produces more zombies and has an ability that works well with having lots of zombies under your control. Also, given that you have Dictate of Erebos you may consider Grave Pact, as well as some additional sac-outlets like Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Carrion Feeder, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, etc. Beyond those suggestions there is also the additional board wipe of Noxious Ghoul or Damnation, as well as the much needed card draw given by Rhystic Study, Phyrexian Arena, Graveborn Muse, and, two of my favorites for this kind of deck Careful Study and Frantic Search.
I have my own necromancy based EDH deck, albeit Gisa and Geralf and geared towards 1v1, if you'd like to look at some of the decisions I've made for a zombie-tribal EDH. It's called Bring Out Yer Dead!!! Happy brewing!