|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Common|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
Untap up to three lands.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||xXThormentXx , Boza , Benniator , meowCat1234 , bakunet , MoJoMiXuP , LTmiller|
|Want (2)||mlouden03 , rakdos24|
Frantic Search Discussion
5 days ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
1 week ago
demonicgrizzly Correct. You have to first end the WGD loop by animating another creature in someone's yard. But, at that point, you have infinite mana. Then you can cast Breya with infinite mana and sac her to herself repeatedly.
You can cast instants during the WGD loop, tho, if you have one that will help to put a creature in a yard. Stuff like Lightning Bolt, Izzet Charm, Intuition, Entomb, Fire Covenant, Frantic Search or a top-deck tutor + Thought Scour. I had been running slightly more of those cards, but moved away from them. You can also cast bounce spells to end the loop by targeting animate dead or the WGD itself. And if you have Bazaar of Baghdad in play, then that solves that problem.
2 weeks ago
No, i definitely think Curio stays. I will post my list once the rest of my cards get here, the mana base isn't as good as yours but I did pick up a cradle today.
I also think that Frantic Search can definitely be a good card in the deck and deserves consideration.
3 weeks ago
You might want to consider splashing blue for more draw and discard spells like Dimir Guildmage and Dire Undercurrents or even Drastic Revelation. Frantic Search might be a good one too. Those can all add to playing things from the graveyard as well as having stuff in your hand. I'd take out Stillmoon Cavalier and maybe sideboard Arrogant Bloodlord. Fists of the Demigod and Knight of Dusk fit well too. You could always add Terminate if you wanna be that guy.
Cool deck idea though, would love to play against it.
3 weeks ago
First I would cut Decimate, it requires a legal target for each mode, so for example if there is no enchantments on the battlefield, you can't cast it.
Third, I would put in some of the 4 mana ramp spells, which put 2 lands directly into play.
Fifth, After testing the deck, I would remove the 7 dragons I was least satisfied with.
Sixth, A deck such as yours would benefit greatly from Animate Dead and Necromancy aswell as some filter cards such as Frantic Search and Faithless Looting to get some dragons in the graveyard to animate.
1 month ago
Is it really worth running Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk to destroy everything when Lattice and Vandalblast do it much faster? As someone who has played Arcum for almost four years, when you do it even once, people tend to scoop (and even then it's absurdly easy to assemble a winning combo from there).
In any event, you should free up two slots. One for Notion Thief- you're running Wheel of Fortune and Windfall, and Thief + Fortune or fall is incredible. I've literally never lost, with my Breya deck, after casting that card (I run Bomberman/Gorger Breya though). Hell, I've won t2 thanks to it, actually: My first turn was Command Tower, Vampiric Tutor to get Notion Thief on the top deck, Lotus Petal into Faithless Looting. Second turn was Volcanic Island, Reanimate, Winds of Change. I drew 24 cards, and managed to win by playing Mox Diamond and Mana Crypt to Frantic Search, discarding Snapcaster and Worldgorger Dragon, and then Animate Dead on Worldgorger, making infinite mana and then winning via Breya that same turn. I really can't recommend Notion Thief enough, because Mind Twisting every player for only 4 + 1 or 3 mana is huge, and it aids in setting up for literally any other combo in the deck since it's hard to lose after drawing 20-30 cards.
Another solid recommendation, I feel, is Recruiter of the Guard. Finds Arcum, Master Transmuter, Snapcaster, Welder, and Trinket Mage, making him extremely versatile depending on what your current board state is. Room could easily be made for him by removing Dack Fayden whom, while cute, doesn't actually help you approach a winning board state as easily.
1 month ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.
1 month ago
Well first for the good news. You got most of the expensive cards out of the way, so that's good. Te thing is that this is both an Ad Nauseam deck and not an Ad Nauseam deck and its not a storm deck in its current state. So if you wanted to lean into both Ad Nauseam and storm (which I think you should) You would need to remove a bunch of the spells that cost more than 3 mana and include some free spells and other large instant speed card advantage spells. These are the staples of storm decks. It isn't flash, it isnt Tendrils of Agony, its cards that help you cast many spells.
Cards that Need to go. Deadeye Navigator, Mulldrifter, Dig Through Time, Gush-unless you add Doomsday which you should, Future Sight, Leyline of Anticipation, Rhystic Study-its way too slow for this strategy, Tendrils of Agony, Treasure Cruise, Gilded Lotus, Vedalken Orrery, and Tezzeret the Seeker
Other cards that should be though about hard before including.
Guttersnipe, Peregrine Drake, all the red rituals-do you really have enough red to make use of them?, Turnabout-its expensive for the effect and usually there are better choices, Same for Paradoxical Outcome, without all the expensive cards As Foretold will probably be very lackluster when it comes out especially since you are trying to win fast, Past in Flames is the last one, it's very expensive when you have access to Yawgmoth's Will and usually 1 of these effects is good enough.
Now I have some suggestions on replacements. Helm of Awakening would be great for Mind's Desire and Hurkyl's Recall. It allows all of your 2 drop signets and talismans to be mana neutral which allows you to build massive storm counts. It also turns cards like Snap and Frantic Search mana positive. Speaking of that put in all 3 signets and both the talismans. Then add some card advantage, cards like Thirst for Knowledge and Fact or Fiction and Night's Whisper are far better than Rhystic Study. With all the untapping of lands a High Tide package would be good but you would need to add like 6-9 more islands but its very worth it. I have been play testing with Into the Roil and Remand as well. I find them to be super good at raising my storm count when I use them on my own spells/permanents. The last bit of advice I have is change Faithless Looting into a Dack Fayden. He combos super well with Notion Thief and can help you ramp.