|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Lion's Eye Diamond
Sacrifice Lion's Eye Diamond, Discard your hand: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool. Play this ability only any time you could play an instant.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Lion's Eye Diamond Discussion
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 weeks ago
Edit: Removed some things that I didn't think flowed with deck because I reread Muldrotha and realized she doesn't work on opponents turns even with flash. Added Second Chance for infinite turns when below five health and Lion's Eye Diamond for infinite mana with Deadeye Navigator
3 weeks ago
rjhall666, Deadeye Navigator is a realatively dead card outside the combo and costs a lot compared to what it does for the deck. 90% of the time we use the Lion's Eye Diamond combo as a backup as its fairly clunky and going off requires four cards.
3 weeks ago
If you're aiming for this to be truly competitive, here are some suggestions.
Avenger of Zendikar, Kokusho, the Evening Star, Razaketh, the Foulblooded, and Verdant Force can all go for more immediate reanimation targets. If they weren't in here for reanimation, I'd take them out altogether. Some replacements could be Palinchron, Consecrated Sphinx, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Tidespout Tyrant, and Nullstone Gargoyle. These all have an immediate presence, and basically read "Your opponents can't win the game until I'm dealt with." These slots can be flexed based on meta and shit tho so take your pick. Avenger, Koko, and Verdant Force really don't do much until your next turn, so they can be either easily dealt with or at least prepared for before they come in swinging or start getting sac-ed for value. Razaketh is a more expensive Rune-Scarred Demon that requires another creature, as you're usually only going to need one tutor to win the game. Palinchron is a super good combo piece, sphinx will draw you at the very least two cards before sorcery speed removal is online, vorinclex will tap down at the very least 2-3 lands for targeted removal, and more for wipes. Tidespout can wipe out an entire color from someone's manabase if you play it right, and can do that the second after it hits the field, even in response to an immediate removal spell. Gargoyle is iffy, but can shut down some decks. This one's risky but amazing if you play around it correctly.
Hell's Caretaker and Zombify are sub-prime reanimation spells. Exhume is far and away a better replacement, despite not being a permanent and having a heavy downside. Necromancy is super good and you should definitely be running it. I'm not sure why Unearth is in here? It would be much better to devote this slot to ramp and use that ramp to then cast stuff from your graveyard with Muldrotha.
Dreamborn Muse and Traumatize. I know this will sound weird, but this scale of mill is simply not worth it. First off, they're both very expensively costed, and will most likely take up your turn. Second, drawing half your deck and tutoring for a combo piece basically have the same effect: you find your wincon; except that these mill spells don't guarantee it, and are clunky, inefficient, and expensive. Thirdly, even if you really feel the need to "draw" like thirty cards, you'll really only be able to play a couple of them before the game ends, so again its redundant and over the top. A better option would be something like intuition, which will mill only the cards you want, without being over the top. Sultai Ascendancy is decent, and I have no qualms with putting it in, but Search for Azcanta Flip is much much better, and even something like Monastery Siege has the same type of filtering effects but with more flexibility and less mana requirement. Overall, I like to stick to cards like Careful Study and Winds of Rebuke over just straight up milling effects, as they prioritize giving you options and flexibility over shear milling quantity.
Disciple of Bolas. There are better sac outlets.
River Kelpie is kind of on the same path as Traumatize: its just too much. Yeah, if you're super greedy you can devote a turn to playing this and maybe draw a shit ton of cards from it over the next few turns, but it really is just a win more spell. The whole point of this deck is to have the stuff you're re casting be good enough that it can win you the game right away, without the need to draw extra cards. If this is in here to find those good cards, there are better filtering and tutor options.
Gitrog is juicy, but not competitive. It's expensive, and doesn't really provide that much immediate value. It's really sick tho.
Worldly Tutor is much worse than Mystical Tutor or Vampiric Tutor here. Searching for a Tooth and Nail and then winning is much better than searching for a part of your combo. It's a really good card tho so keep it in if you find a good slot.
Sylvan Awakening I'm guessing is part of some combo I don't quite understand, but otherwise isn't really that great. Even if you had like 10 lands on the battlefield, it still wouldn't make a dent in your opponents' collective life total.
World Shaper and Ramunap/Crucible are good, don't get me wrong. However, they add, as I've said before, lots of redundancy. With your current deck, will you winning the game really depend on if you play 3 strip mines in one turn versus 2? Crack 3 fetches instead of 2? Again don't get me wrong, these are good cards, and if you make the deck almost completely devoted to a "lands matter" archetype, they are staples, but if you're aiming to get your commander out during most games, they'll just get in the way and provide you with unnecessary, excessive land drops. Now, World Shaper does ramp you and mill you, so it is flexible, but it is slow and expensive, and could still probably be replaced by something better.
Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Awakening Zone, and Chromatic Lantern are great for fixing/ramp, but are just too damn slow. What you really need for ramping is Mana Crypt, signets or dorks(your choice, but i'd select either artifacts or creatures and role with it), Mind Stone, Mox Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lotus Petal, Nature's Lore, Three Visits, azusa, Grim Monolith, and Deathrite Shaman. These are all great options, take your pick.
Just some things I think you should consider: Protean Hulk and Defense of the Heart are good combo enablers, Pernicious Deed is a recurrable boardwipe, shriekmaw is cheap recurrable removal, Mystic Remora is really cheap card draw that becomes even better w/ muldrotha on the field, Greater Good draws you some cards but more importantly fills your graveyard, Contamination can shut down your opponents and is easy to keep up w/ muldrotha on board, and Command Beacon is a must have with a six mana commander, not to mention you can replay it when muldrotha is out.
Overall you really just need to make your ramp package better. Also, if you want to make this deck more combo-y, just take out everything that produces long term value and replace it with counters and removal.
3 weeks ago
While I don't have the time to help with much right now, my first suggestions would be to add Lion's Eye Diamond for the actual combo and Lotus Petal for incidental advantage. It also acts as a combo piece with Salvagers and Paradox Engine without an artifact sac outlet. You can probably cut two lands for them, as your curve is incredibly low. Best of luck.
3 weeks ago
if you use led to cast the image, have it copy muldrotha, you get another set of permanents from your graveyard, recast led and animate dead muldrotha, then rinse and repeat. each full cycle gains and (or other colors eventually)
3 weeks ago
Like you, I also pulled a foil and non-foil Muldrotha from my box, so I've been working on building it as well. I'm going to second the suggestions of Caustic Caterpillar, Seal of Primordium, Necromancy, Pernicious Deed, Merciless Executioner, Fleshbag Marauder, and Shriekmaw. I'll also add in Nihil Spellbomb, Aether Spellbomb, and Seal of Removal to that list. I've recently been testing Codex Shredder and it seems pretty decent. Contamination can lock anyone not playing black out of the game forever. Fetch lands are also very powerful.
I've been theorycrafting a budgetless list if you want to look at that for other suggestions as well.
1 month ago
Nice deck. I totally forgot Wall of Omens is a card, and probably need to put it in my own deck.
Above is what I'm currently running. I also have a more budget friendly version that doesn't run a Lion's Eye Diamond if you want to look at that. Restoration Specialist would definitely be something I would consider adding to your list. It can help facilitate so many more combos.
Lotus Petal can also help to add white mana to a colorless loop if that becomes the bottleneck.