|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2012 Core Set||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Cleric
During your turn, your opponents can't cast spells or activate abilities of artifacts, creatures or enchantments.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||Nemesis , Tribor , REV666 , Swamy , Venser_the_Sojoner , NOGzFTW , westdoorblowsnow , Sparky41 , Roadhog , rockleemyhero , Dredgar , zachi , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , ibraJG84 ,|
|Want (2)||Turtlelover73 , TheRealPeaches|
Grand Abolisher Discussion
16 hours ago
This advice is for going full Human Tribal, so no soldiers and spirits.
- Minus Emeria Shepherd Card is too expensive, no synergy b/c no ETB effects or payoff cards to reanimate.
- Minus Collective Effort Card is too mediocre in EDH
- Minus Devout Invocation, Although a very cool and flavourful card, it's too expensive, and doesn't have a direct impact on the board without a haste source in play.
- Minus Ajani Unyielding, Strong card, but no synergy wit the deck.
- Minus Bow of Nylea, Card is too underwhelming in EDH
- Minus Gallows at Willow Hill, again, very flavourful, but underwhelming.
- Minus Swiftfoot Boots, usually works better with big creatures that need protection, instead of a lot of small creatures, if you really want to play it, go for Lightning Greaves
- Minus Thought Vessel, you don't really need the ramp if you keep the CMC low, same goes for the hand-size limit, you want to keep casting creatures, not gain a massive hand. Imagine drawing this instead of more humans that commit to the board state.
- Minus Asceticism, you're main concern is board wipes, not target removal, I would suggest playing this in a creature based deck like Mayael the Anima
- Minus Archetype of Courage, too underwhelming in my opinion
- Minus Somberwald Sage, only ramps for big creatures, which is not your focus.
- Minus Decimator of the Provinces, too underwhelming for its cmc
- Minus Elder of Laurels, not a bad card, but only buffs one creature, you want more anthem effects.
- Minus Fiend Hunter, it's a solid card, there are better options
- Minus Geist-Honored Monk, solid card, but no human synergy and no game changer for 5 CMC
- Minus Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Minus Odric, Master Tactician, never been a fan of these.
- Minus Precinct Captain, soldiers, no humans
- Minus Ulvenwald Tracker, meh
- Minus Voice of Resurgence, obviously one of the best cards in Modern, solid in EDH, but not really a human card
- Minus Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, I get the point, but no humans
- Minus Avacyn, Angel of Hope, So good, so expensive
- Minus Mosswort Bridge, not enough value to gain here, so just a slow land card.
- Plus Skullclamp best draw engine for tokens in the game.
- Plus Devout Chaplain, solid tribe removal
- Plus Heron's Grace Champion, excellent combat trick.
- Plus Herald of War, solid tribal support
- Plus Tireless Tracker, great stand-alone with draw-engine
- Plus Grand Abolisher, anti control card
- Plus Thraben Doomsayer, free human tokens,
- Plus Angel of Jubilation, anthem
- Plus Chord of Calling, find your craterhoof on instant speed.
- Plus Eladamri's Call, tutor.
- Plus Green Sun's Zenith, tutor.
- Plus Avacyn's Pilgrim, solid human mana dork
- Plus Overwhelming Stampede wincon
- Plus Door of Destinies anthem
- Plus Akroma's Memorial wincon
- Plus Obelisk of Urd tribal anthem
- Plus Cryptolith Rite Ramp
- Plus Angelic Overseer Solid tribal support
- Plus Marshal's Anthem Recursion + Anthem
- Plus Kodama's Reach additional Cultivate
- Plus Adaptive Automaton tribal support
- Plus Enlightened Tutor
- Plus Gather the Townsfolk, more humans!
4 days ago
Funny idea, but a couple of cards seem a bit too weak for modern. Like Master of Diversion - a 2/2 for 3, that has to attack to tap an opponents creature. I wouldn't play a sorcery at 2W that read "during your next turn, tap target creature your opponent controls", and this creature comes too close to that. But maybe Lyev Skyknight could do something similar? The same goes for Azorius Guildmage - it's just too expensive for what it does (although countering activated abilities can be pretty sweet) - maybe exchange it for Squelch? That way, it's a surprise when something is countered, rather than something it's possible to play around.
Grand Abolisher is in my opinion a sideboard card. It is highly relevant in some games, and in many others its a 2/2 creature. You could play Detention Sphere instead. Not that it does anything similar, it's just good removal.
6 days ago
It doesn't feel like there are enough tax effects here. Here is a list of EDH Stax cards for your consideration. I would suggest Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety, Grand Abolisher, and Aven Mindcensor as a good place to start.
1 week ago
Thank you again for your input. I believe I will begin focusing on the mill aspect and part ways with the Lynx (though I will miss its art). Additionally (at least for now), I will put my mind to rest on the thoughts of including the Spirit Guide. (I wonder if Jeskai Avalanche could be a thing too?)
I would have to disagree with Fracturing Gust as it removes all artifacts and enchantments, including my own (more specifically, part of my combo). It is an expensive card as well, but I'm most worried for my first point.
Stony Silence may be worth looking into, though I would have to drop it after equipping Ruin Ghost with Lightning Greaves or else my equipment will be useless too. Aura of Silence is another card that I'm looking into, as it would slow down Affinity and I'm only looking to stall until turn 5/6 at the latest when I pull the win (ideally, if I can make my deck consistent enough for that, and I feel that I'm getting close).
As for siding in my own sort of artifact/enchantment hate, I really like Fragmentize. It's cheap and efficient, and gets rid of all pertinent artifacts/enchantments that I should fear for (Blood Moon, Leyline of Sanctity, and Pithing Needle to name a few). Its wording effectively means that I can destroy any artifact or enchantment pre-turn 5, which is around when my deck is looking to secure victory.
Rest in Peace I feel would be an excellent inclusion, as I also fear for the likes of Surgical Extraction and Extirpate. This combo is unique among its pieces and I have no redundant or backup cards to make it work if one part of it goes.
I also agree with you that my deck runs very little creature hate. It has developed more to protect my pieces and repel opponent spells than it has to deal with my opponent's resolved creatures when they hit the field. Path to Exile or Supreme Verdict are both excellent cards and equally relevant for slots in the SB. In terms of single creature removal, I would prefer PtE because while it does provide ramp for the opponent, it is not restricted to having the creature attack to cast it (like Condemn would, but I like your thinking). Additionally, I could try running Authority of the Consuls to slow down aggro.
And I also believe Grand Abolisher would be perfect against control. It used to be part of the main board until I shifted away from mono-white(ish) infinite mana to make the deck more consistent, but I know I would still like it in the sideboard. Or even a couple/few copies of Silence to cast the turn I want my combo to go off.
Thank you again for your input and considerations!
1 week ago
Focusing the deck around the mill strategy does seem practical. But, I must warn that you should also become concerned of Leyline of sanctity as a result as it will prevent Hedron Crab's effect. However, since Altar of the Brood doesn't target it should get around this. In this case the points you provide for Simian Spirit Guide do seem practical, the ability to perform a surprise "1 Mana" counter does seem rather appealing. Although, in this case you may wish to invest in some ability to cast it in the event you may require a chump blocker but I think you would be able to do without.
As for the sideboard, I would normally recommend Fracturing Gust vs. Affinity or Artifacts but it seems your landfall mana will be used to make the combo function and incapable of achieving acceleration. Thus, 2x Disenchant will work perfectly as it targets enchantments, such as Ghirapur AEther Grid. 2x Stony Silence will also be a boon as it will force affinity to side in their own enchantment hate, they will automatically assume you have it anyways.
For Leyline of Sanctity I would recommend it as a 3 of. I'm unsure how much discard you see in your meta, but a playset is usually excessive for sideboard. My personal rule of thumb is: 3x if you want to see it, 4x if you want to play multiples.
The deck also seems a bit light on Creature hate, thus, 2x Path to Exile should help you out against aggro lists that go big rather than wide. You could also consider Condemn as the mill strategy wouldn't care about life! This is a far better removal spell in this case than Path to Exile as it keeps your opponents off curve if they are short mana.
Better yet, due to the creature light nature of your deck you could get away with having some board wipes in your side, naturally Supreme Verdict as you could hold onto your combo until after you've cleared away all their elves of goblins.
I hope that this helps you with your sideboard! If your meta has any specific decks that are prevalent then I'd recommend finding a good hate card to fill the rest of your sideboard. Grand Abolisher seems like a solid choice vs. Control. If you've got any questions, just let me know!
1 week ago
Here you go I was considering human tribal when I saw him
Here's a start for ya
1 week ago
So few questions, First up... What are the thoughts on running a commander partner pair that could help? The really big one being Thrasios, Triton Hero, a card draw outlet in the command zone seems more beneficial. Additionally you are running enough artifacts such that Akiri, Line-Slinger may be a notable threat.
Next, A few card questions... -Arcane Denial vs Delay? This is a more recent one to me but it Delay has been better unless you are really wanting the card draw from Arcane Denial. Thoughts?
-Path to Exile vs Swords to Plowshares? Wouldn't life be better for you to give away than the possible ramp?
-Orim's Chant vs Silence? Any big reason for Orim's here? Silence hits all opponents, same could be said with a Grand Abolisher but I think I like the insant better.
2 weeks ago
No problem, I will let you know when I think of some more, like Prey Upon for example. or signets! Boros Signet, Gruul Signet, Selesnya Signet. Grab the Reins is fun too. Fall of the Hammer, Temur Battle Rage.
As for Guttural response: If he comes up against blue a lot.. maybe. If it's only sometimes.. I personally wouldn't bother, just try to kill the blue player first. (or play an even bigger creature than the one getting countered).