|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Archenemy: Nicol Bolas (E01)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Cleric
During your turn, your opponents can't cast spells or activate abilities of artifacts, creatures or enchantments.
|Have (4)||, Forkbeard , metalmagic , gosora|
|Want (8)||aarlof , Zarathustra77 , WryAssassin501 , Foxbeep , ausername , MisterZylinder , coolhandluke305 , dannydedarko|
Latest as Commander
Grand Abolisher Discussion
2 weeks ago
I could suggest a large number of upgrades that you could make to Oloro to make it more controlling for the $40 that you would spend on Sen Triplets and GAA4 is just annoying if you don't go full on stax, which may be a thing you are interested in; but which is very hard to not just be annoying on a budget. If you really want to do either of those commanders, don't let me stop you. But I seriously think you would be better served to buy Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir , Grand Abolisher , and Demonic Tutor for the $40 you would spend on Sen Triplets
2 weeks ago
I don't get it but here are some good possible additions Smothering Tithe , Sphere of Safety , Anguished Unmaking , Thalia, Heretic Cathar , Grand Abolisher , and Thorn of the Black Rose . Cool list though
3 weeks ago
That’s a clear reason. Does Animar run ways to win at instant speed though? I usually only cast aluren if I can win that turn, so as long as it does not win my opponents the game, the value they receive from doesn’t matter. If in doubt you can also wait casting it until you can get Grand Abolisher or a similar effect.
3 weeks ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
3 weeks ago
The ETB for Karmic Guide (Copy who has Haste, thanks Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker ) returns Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker to the Battlefield, since he has Haste built-in, go back to 1. Infinite Damage from the Goblin Bombardment and creates Infinite Karmic Guide copies, all with Haste that can attack (as long as your pre-combat main phase).
Allow the Adarkar Valkyrie delayed triggered ability (the Aurelia, the Warleader dying) to Resolve, returning the Aurelia, the Warleader to the Battlefield. Remember, this Aurelia, the Warleader has a NEW card ID value, so this will be his first time he attacks THIS turn, and since the Old Aurelia, the Warleader conveniently created an additional combat phase, and the new Aurelia, the Warleader has haste, let's go back to 1. and then loop Infinite Attack Phases for ALL creatures. Doesn't even matter if Aurelia, the Warleader gets blocked and killed, doing your work for you (unless she exiled then that's bad).
Goblin Bombardment sacrifice Karmic Guide to Deal 1 damage, this puts the Adarkar Valkyrie delayed trigger on the stack as well (Stack looks like: Deal 1 damage, return Karmic Guide to the battlefield)
Special Note: This one is a MIND-BENDER, because the Reveillark is LTB (Not ETB)
Goblin Bombardment sacrifice Reveillark to deal 1 damage, put his LTB on the stack returning Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and any other power 2 or less creature (hopefully a Grand Abolisher ) to the battlefield, resolve the LTB and the Damage to empty the stack
Goblin Bombardment sacrifice Reveillark to Deal 1 damage, put his LTB on the stack returning Karmic Guide and any other power 2 or less creature (hopefully a Grand Abolisher ) to the battlefield, resolve the LTB (The damage is still on the stack from 1.)
Resolve the original Goblin Bombardment damage off the stack to do 1 damage, and then go back to 1.
Another special note:
Animate Dead + Karmic Guide when setting up the Buried Alive >> Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Restoration Angel + Karmic Guide is a bit weird too, because Karmic Guide has Protection from , so you have to make sure you put the Animate Dead triggered ability that will kill the Karmic Guide on the stack FIRST, then put the Karmic Guide ETB on the stack SECOND. Resolve the Karmic Guide ETB off the stack, THEN, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (built-in haste) IN RESPONSE to the Animate Dead trigger on the stack, to have the Karmic Guide (Copy) return the Restoration Angel . Eventually, when you want to go into Combat Phase (with Infinite Haste Restoration Angel s, you will need to let the Animate Dead resolve off the stack, killing the Original Karmic Guide (but not the copy). But who cares, attack free with the Restoration Angel copies and the Karmic Guide copy.
4 weeks ago
Hey Spirits, so yeah all the combos you mentioned that I have I took directly from your decktech. I simply cannot do some of your super fast combos so I looked at your alternate combos section and essentially went for the ones that have a lot of the same cards involved such as: Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker , Adarkar Valkyrie , and Goblin Bombardment and sort of just ran with those. So the reason why I like Mark of Fury is because of its reusability. I believe one of my buddies in my playgroup uses 1 or 2 ( Anguished Unmaking & Assassin's Trophy ) cards for instant speed, target permanent removal so I think it being in danger until EOT isn't too bad, and with Grand Abolisher out, its totally safe.
I use Reliquary Tower just in case I find myself with a boat load of cards and not wanting to discard them; but perhaps I will consider cutting it.
Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds are the same card with different names. I only run 1 just to be certain that at least by the 2nd turn I should have most of my colors. I have 1 of the fetches in there ( Bloodstained Mire , but Arid Mesa and Marsh Flats are just outa my magic budget at the moment.
Your right about Reflecting Pool , honestly should pick one of those up before they go any higher. I do wanna wait to see what gets reprinted in Modern Horizons before I make any big purchases though.
And yeah Leyline of the Void is great... but WAY to pricey for me right now lol.
And yes... Angel of Jubilation scares me. I think I may play test her a couple of times and see if i can balance and control when she is on the field and when I need to do the things she won't allow. and I believe your right with how it works. it WOULD shut of things like fetches, Necropotence , and Phyrexian Reclamation . but yeah I think shocklands are fine because it is part of it resolving, not an activation cost.
Yes Angel of Despair is better but not against a recursion deck like Meren of Clan Nel Toth . Essentially I need to prevent him from sacking his stuff to make us sack ours; or exile it once the threat has entered the battlefield so it STAYS GONE. going to the graveyard is just not good enough.... Honestly, it's kind of why i Wanna Lord of the Void . Because not only do i get to take some of his stuff, but I'm also exiling his stuff in the process.
Mother of Runes IS great, I considered her for a moment. But much of what I'm up against is untargetted removal. where IIIIII am being forced to sack MY permanents or the board is being wiped. it's brutal lol. So i ended up cutting her.
Hall of the Bandit Lord is on my "to buy" list but... too $$$.
I was 50/50 on Rakdos the Defiler . It seems decent but if im in for the long haul for the game, I dont wanna be sacking my angels and dragons cuz of him.
Zealous Conscripts are right on the cusp of staying in. I just need to figure out what to cut.
Thanks for the help with this. you have been a TREMENDOUS help :)
4 weeks ago
Looking good. Mark of Fury is okay, but has to survive till EOT. I hate 1 removal giving a 2 for 1. Maybe double up on your Expedite with Crimson Wisps . I like it better because it can still draw you an A/D/D to cast with the haste Kaalia of the Vast .
I see your playing Terramorphic Expanse , there's definitely other better fetch lands, but don't forget about Evolving Wilds . I don't recommend either because I hate tapped mana (except Bojuka Bog ).
Obviously Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Restoration Angel or Village Bell-Ringer go infinite, but there is also Combat Celebrant and Zealous Conscripts as well, but of course relies on the Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker quite heavily.
Also, not sure if you've mapped out all your Infinite combos, but don't forget you have:
Tainted Pact is an inexpensive (and instant) speed tutor, the problem is, you can't have any duplicate lands in your deck (even duplicate basic lands) so that's where it gets expensive. There's also Demonic Consultation if your a gambler lol, damn those top 6, it's also instant so can pull a Master of Cruelties if Kaalia of the Vast triggered ability gets on the stack, tutor for the killer.
You may want Crucible of Worlds , it works best with all the fetches like Windswept Heath , Wooded Foothills all the fetch lands, but also is awesome with Strip Mine or Wasteland ($$$). If you have Crucible of Worlds + a Fetch land, basically can filter out all the mana from the deck (while ramping) so when you draw it's usually favorable. I've contemplated it over Chromatic Lantern but don't have one to test, although reasonably priced since reprint.
I have similar worries around Cartouche of Zeal (2 for 1), but when you need haste you need it. I like Leyline of the Void more than Tormod's Crypt , Relic of Progenitus for sure, since it's a lasting effect and CMC0 in opening hand, and prevents the Experience from getting earned at all. But they are ok at the job. Relic of Progenitus would be amazing if it could target the card, but it has more utility than Tormod's Crypt anyway even with the downside.
Be careful with Angel of Jubilation he shuts down your deck too, like Goblin Bombardment , Razaketh, the Foulblooded , Necropotence , Phyrexian Reclamation , Diabolic Intent (might be wrong on this one would have to check the rule book on additional costs), Mana Confluence , Bloodstained Mire (or any Fetch).
Maybe Blood Crypt / Godless Shrine / Sacred Foundry probably enter tapped too (again this one would have to read the rulebook too, not sure if that's considered paying a cost to "activate abilities" probably not because it doesn't have the : symbol on it.
City of Brass is another good multi-color mana asource.
Terminus is a terrific way of getting rid of all those recurring creatures too (unless he can sac them all in response somehow).
I might have mentioned before, Angel of Despair is far superior to someone like Angel of Jubilation unless she's solving a specific pod problem for disruption to your deck. Hellkite Tyrant is hand if you play artifact decks like Breya, Etherium Shaper or Teferi, Temporal Archmage .
Mother of Runes can give protection if your facing Targeted removal.
Some ideas anyway, the reprinted fetches like Windswept Heath are fairly cheap still (I think).
1 month ago
I use all those same tricks in my Budget Commander League deck Glissa, Scrap Trawler $50 EDH.
It's difficult because the A/D/D use the same abilities so the obvious Torpor Orb is out.
Leyline of the Void is the best, if it's in your opening hand then It's CMC0, otherwise CMC4 is quite reasonable. Shuts down the recursive component of the deck. Bojuka Bog is a classic. Rest in Peace / Grafdigger's Cage but since you have some recursion too might hurt you on occasion. With either you could combo with Helm of Obedience . Some others Angel of Finality (Angel). Nihil Spellbomb (Draw). Keep in mind that Leyline of the Void also means Meren of Clan Nel Toth isn't getting experience counters since the creatures are exiling not "die"ing.
Cauldron of Souls might also help, but they can see it coming, and CMC5. Cauldron Haze is a bit more tricky. Archangel Avacyn Flip but doesn't help against Sacrifice (shes no Sigarda, Host of Herons ). Teferi's Protection works good.
Or just haste + Master of Cruelties him lol, if the board is clear.
Grand Abolisher occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.07%
GW (Selesnya): 0.74%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.4%
RBW (Mardu): 0.46%