|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each color among permanents you control.
As long as Conqueror's Flail is attached to a creature, your opponents can't cast spells during your turn.
Conqueror's Flail Discussion
5 days ago
You bring up a few good points here——primarily in the "play a little slower" observation.
I think something this strategy wants to lean more on is being a midrange/slow combo deck; "I'm just playing big, dumb, fun dragons!" is kind of the message you want to send, so quickly dumping your hand and policing the board with a wipe doesn't play into that. I've won far more games w/ Savage Ventmaw + Aggravated Assault than anything else, and I'm thinking now that that should just be the primary line that we're sandbagging until we can set up protection to drop both on the same turn with backup (ideally Conqueror's Flail or Dragonlord Dromoka ).
The secondary line then becomes a grindier mix of go wide/beatdown, either/both via combat damage and/or via Dragon Tempest / Scourge of Valkas pings. The whole reanimation plan, especially with a mass binning into Patriarch's Bidding or Living Death , feels more like a Scion of the Ur-Dragon as Commander strategy, and we don't have the slots, the bigger support package, or the curve (or the need, really) to focus on it, it might be another trap pulling the gameplan in too many directions.
I haven't at all missed Thunderbreak Regent so far, and I'm actually happier for the time being having the extra land. Especially with the slightly slower gameplan (but lower overall curve with more consistency/smoother draws and mulligans). And with the Planeswalker package removed, Forbidden Orchard doesn't have as much of a downside, and can actually be a bit of a political play at any point in the game that takes some focus on you or gives minor resources to someone you had to hit with spot removal to try and avoid their targeting you back, but my list needs more fixing than yours due to the halved fetchland package.
Since some of my gameplan is playing on people's perception and sandbagging to mess with their ability to threat assess correctly, and since I'm seeing this primarily as more of a 50-75% deck that can kind of hang with higher power but likely not optimized tables, I'm actually thinking of holding off both on the full fetchland package as well as any ABUR duals. In paper, at least in whatever passes for a local meta around here, threat assessment isn't often, objectively, very good, and I've sat at more than a few tables where you can tell that a "Geez, your lands (or cards) are super expensive!" reaction can sometimes be enough on its own to have you targeted as archenemy; this deck doesn't play archenemy very well.
1 week ago
Hey, you've added lots of good cards since the last time I commented on your deck at the beginning of this month. Nice job streamlining and narrowing down your strategies. Looks like you cut Jor Kadeen, good job fighting the urge :)
The 10+ cards to consider cutting:
- Basandra, Battle Seraph
- Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice
- Balefire Liege
- Boros Reckoner
- Mirran Crusader
- Figure of Destiny
- Firemane Avenger
- Tajic, Legion's Edge
- Phyrexian Rebirth
- Valorous Stance
- Sword of Body and Mind
- Conqueror's Flail
- Boros Locket
Lots of redundancy is something you don't have deck space for in your deck therefore I would start with cutting cards that are redundant. Basandra and Flail are less needed since you've added Abolisher. When you have such little deck space for a Sunforger package of instants Stance doesn't do enough, Boros Charm and Plowshares are better options. Sword of BnM is the least good Sword since opponents have 100 card libraries and graveyards are a huge resource for most Commander decks. Crusader and Paladin are similar and I think Paladin is better because of soulbound, he can pair with Aureila and double strike Aurelia is good.
Aurelia EoJ, Reckoner, Figure, Avenger and Tajic are fine creatures, but that's all they are. There's nothing really special for your strategies here about these cards. In a game you would be better off drawing and playing other cards. Liege has a nice repeatable ability, but I don't think you need it and it's lackluster for a five drop.
1 week ago
Selvala but also Bloom Tender since it and Conqueror's Flail check number of colors at your side so after a few games with both of them I can confidently say that 3+ colors are perfectly reasonable achievement.
About card changes - do you think that Mystic Remora might be better than Kindred Discovery ? Also you might be right about Moxen, I just copied what other 5-color high power/cEDH decks used to lower the curve of my deck.
And I'm looking for a place for Stubborn Denial but I don't know what could be underperforming
1 week ago
- Conqueror's Flail seems to work quite nice for me since it often gives 3-5 power boost, which is more than enough to win with Atarka, World Render + The Ur-Dragon . I once equipped it onto Dragonlord Dromoka because I didn't have any better target and it gave me so much life that I didn't care about lack of blockers later. Also if it draws hate it's great because I have waaay better things to come in terms of Artifacts/Enchantments. Also giving 3-5 power means that Bloom Tender will give 3-5 mana.
- Kindred Discovery has been on my mind for about 2-3 weeks now. It sometimes gets in a way of actually casting a Dragon so after I've listened to a few podcasts I'm starting to thinking about one-shot draw effects like Night's Whisper or Painful Truths in it's place. Don't like the idea of having another conditional draw especially after someone blows my board but if I'd swap something right now I'd probably do Kindred Discovery for Elemental Bond
- How's been Greater Good performing for you? I wish I had some sort of sac outlet for Dragon Egg tokens but I think Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire and Devour babies from Dragon Broodmother should be enough.
- Planeswalker removal shouldn't be too much of a concern since I review planeswalkers by their abilities and if it actually impacts my board when they "do the thing" and immediately after hit the bin. So Sarkhan Vol 's haste or Act of Treason is good enough and Sarkhan the Mad after dropping of The Ur-Dragon 's trigger (done it a few times already, feels great) is just knock-out spell (best used for pillowfort players) and later I don't care if it stays. Sarkhan, Fireblood is so small and on the surface seems to be weak that other players don't care about killing it unless it's unblocked and can easily die. But it's actually a ramp/fixing planeswalker. All of them also have token spawning options, which helps win with Scourge of Valkas / Dragon Tempest .
- Also you've mentioned some cheap interaction or ramp spells - do you have anything specific in mind? I'm thinking recently about Mystic Remora .
2 weeks ago
Conqueror's Flail is still a very-nice-to-have.
3 weeks ago
Conqueror's Flail occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%