Giver of Runes
Creature — Kor Cleric
: Another target creature you control gains protection from colourless or from the colour of your choice until end of turn.
|Have (3)||lorddarkstar , TheAnnihilator ,|
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Giver of Runes Discussion
1 week ago
Stoneforge Mystic not strictly a hatebear, but a very good card that fits into that archetype. Admittedly, very bad in a Lurrus deck.
2 weeks ago
If you ever find that the main deck Surgicals aren't that great you could replace them with Smuggler's Copter. Otherwise the 2 Giver of Runes are a safe cut since you don't have too many creatures to protect and you already have a bunch of swords to protect them anyways.
If you did play 3 Copter I would go up to 3 Lingering Souls as well. You gain a lot of card advantage off of discarding Souls to Copter.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Introducing the synonyms/nicknames system to alleviate all those "wtf was that one land of that one cycle named?" problems that plague you.
This system is simple. It is designed to redirect terms that you typed out that match a synonym/nickname of a card, to that card name. This lets you never have to remember the name "Seachrome Coast" and can instead just type out "WU Fastland" (as an example). Note that this only works in text edit entries on deck lists and inventory, not the live edit or the card search forms.
There is a lot of other things that are utilised here as well.
- Godzilla Names
- Non-American Spellings
- Common Nicknames
- Common Misspellings
- Redirections of Misspelled Submissions
- Each side of a split card as a synonym (unless they already exist as a card).
Not needing to know the name of each card in a land/artifact cycle is a big boon, but you still need to know the nickname of that cycle and the syntax. For lands/mana rocks/the swords of X and Y at the present moment it is always "XY Nickname" or "YX Nickname". Examples:
- WU Fastland
- GR BFZ
- GW ABUR Dual Land
- BW Fetch
For 2 colour lands, it is always the two colour letters, followed by the nickname, and then followed by the option to have the world land either connected to the nickname or not. (these are all viable options for example: "WU Fast", "UW Fastland", "UW Fast Land".) For 3 colour lands, it is only the primary order of colour letters you see on cards, or the Alara/Khans name. (WUB Lair, Mardu Triome as examples.) Swords and other artifact cycles follow the same setup (though swords can also be "Sword of GB" or "Sword of G and B"), and mono colour land cycles use the same setup just with only one letter. Note that none of these are plural, so don't put that s in. Colourless cards that are a part of a cycle use C/Colorless/Colourless.
Some of these cycles don't have well defined names yet (like BBD) and some of these cycles have had too many names that people constantly fight over so there was no point in bothering to put them all in and instead I just used the TLA (specifically BFZ).
The primary purpose of this is to make the ability to tag cards and edit decks/inventory far more robust than what it has been. Tappedout doesn't presently have a spellchecker, and to be fair most sites don't. It's not an easy feature to implement. So with this synonyms/nicknames feature, we can alleviate some of those aggravations of misspellings or different ways to spell a word by making them valid targets and redirecting them to the right card name. Another benefit of this is the ability to give cards shorthands or nicknames when the community largely doesn't remember the actual name of a card, just their shorthand. We have all been hit with "wtf is that land's name again?" when we know for a fact that it's just "the blue and white shadows over innistrad reveal land". This saves the step of having to open up a search engine to figure out the card name, and in general speeds up and makes the process of building decks and inventory, a lot more enjoyable.
Cycles that currently have nicknames: Show
- ABUR Duals as ABUR/Duals/ABUR Duals
- MDR Artifact Lands as Artifact Lands
- AKH Bike Lands as Bikes/Bicycles/Bicyclings/Cycle Lands/Cycling Lands
- BFZ Lands as BFZ/BFZ Lands
- RAV Guildhalls as Guildhalls
- SHM/EVE Lands as Filters
- VIS Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- RAV Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- MH1 Lands as Horizons/Canopy Lands
- SOI Lands as SOI Lands/Reveal Lands
- Swords of X and Y as XY Swords/Swords of XY/Swords of X and Y
- Temples as Temples/Scrylands
- IKO Triomes as Triomes/Tricycles/Cycles/Cyclings
A lot of the cycle synonyms are meant to intuitive and robust so that you won't even have to think about knowing what the exact written synonym actually is and still be able to get it right on the first try, though it will take time to reach a point in which this is 100% true. As an example of scope, each recognized nickname for a cycle creates 6 entries for each given card in that cycle. So the AKH lands have 30 entries for each card in that cycle, resulting in a total of 150 entries. The Triomes have the same amount, but if I were to add each individual string combination of the colour letters (WUB, BUW, WBU etc) then that count would increase by 45 for each entry, resulting 75 entries for each one, totalling at 375 entries for the whole cycle.
Nicknames will usually be things like "Snappy", "Bolt", "Path", "Bob", "FoW", etc. They are to be commonly used by the larger community as a whole, not what your FNM/play group exclusively uses (though this isn't a hard set in stone as I'm not omniscient).
Here's a list of nicknames that I have. Show
- Aether Vial: Vial
- Aetherflux Reservoir: Dome Dome
- Assassin's Trophy: Ass Trophy
- Birds of Paradise: Birds, BoP
- Bloodbraid Elf: BBE
- Brimstone Trebuchet: Bucket
- Cavalcade of Calamity: Cavalcade
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip: Baby Chandra
- Chandra Nalaar: Zippotricks McEdgelord
- Charming Prince: Prince Charming
- Collected Company: CoCo
- Dark Confidant: Bob
- Dark Ritual: Rit
- Demonic Tutor: DT
- Dig Through Time: DTT
- Eternal Witness: E-Wit, E-Witness
- Explosive Vegetation: Explosive Veggies
- Field of Ruin: FoR
- Force of Will: FoW
- Ghost Quarter: GC
- Gilded Goose: Goose
- Giver of Runes: Mommy, Stepmom
- Goblin Charbelcher: Belcher, Charbelcher
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel: Gary
- Griselbrand: Grizzy B
- Hypnotic Specter: Hippie
- Inquisition of Kozilek: IoK
- Jace, Cunning Castaway: Sexy Jace
- Jace, the Mindsculptor: Jace, JtMS
- Jace, Wielder of Mysteries: Lab Jace,
- Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip: Literal Actual Baby Jace
- Jace Beleren: Party Jace
- Karn Liberated: Karn
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Kiki, Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Kitchen Finks: Finks
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip: Baby Gideon, Baby Gids
- Laboratory Maniac: Lab Man, Lab Maniac
- Life from the Loam: Loam
- Lightning Bolt: Bolt
- Lightning Helix: Helix
- Lightning Strike: Strike
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Baby Lili
- Liliana, the Last Hope: Last Hope
- Liliana of the Veil: Lili, LotV
- Lion's Eye Diamond: LED
- Llanowar Elves: Dork, Elf
- Mother of Runes: Mom
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: Baby Nissa
- Oblivion Ring: O-Ring
- Oko, Thief of Crowns: Oko
- Path to Exile: Path, PtE
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar: Chandra's Parents, Mom and Dad, Ma and Pa, Pia and Kiran, Parents
- Pia Nalaar: Chandra's Mom, Pia
- Primeval Titan: Prime Time
- Prodigal Sorcerer: Tim
- Sakura-Tribe Elder: STE, Steve
- Savage Punch: Bear Punch
- Scalding Tarn: Tarn
- Scavenging Ooze: Scooze
- Sensei's Divining Top: Top
- Settle the Wreckage: Settle
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon: Skittles
- Smuggler's Copter: Copter, Thopter Copter
- Snapcaster Mage: Snapcaster, Snappy
- Solemn Simulacrum: Sad Robot
- Sorin, Solemn Visitor: Sad Sorin
- Splinter Twin: Twin
- Swords to Plowshares: Swords
- Tarmogoyf: Goyf, Goyfy, Tarmo
- Tectonic Edge: Tec Edge, TecEdge
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: 5feri, T5feri
- Teferi, Time Raveler: 3feri, T3feri
- The Gitrog Monster: Gitrog, HypnoToad, Hypno Toad
- Thing in the Ice Flip: Titi
- Torrential Gearhulk: Fatcaster
- True-Name Nemesis: TNM, TNN, True-Name
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon: Eugene, Ugin
- Wrenn and Six: W6, Wand6, Wn6
Here's a list of non-american spellings I have in: Show
Here's a list of things that is in the works to do. Show
- All triple coloured land cycles (triomes, lairs, trilands) to have an entry for each of their letter combinations. (Example, bant lands would have WUG, GUW, WGU, GWU, UGW, UWG.)
- All dual coloured land cycles will have the ravnican guild names to replace the two colours as an option.
- All land cycles will have the TLA as an option to replace the nickname.
- All land cycles to have "Nickname XY" format.
- More non-american spellings.
- More common misspellings.
- Cards that have or do not have the word "and", to have a synonym of the opposite.
- Synonym that is a version of the card name but without punctuation.
- Nicknames of all the cards with commas that ignores everything past the comma, provided that it is unique.
- Fringe/old land cycles.
- A lot of mana rock cycles.
A card can have any number of synonyms/nicknames. But only one synonym/nickname can be tied to a card. So if a new card/land cycle gets printed that has covers a misspelling (like an UNcard might) or has that nickname as it's actual card name, those synonyms will get removed (as an example, Snapcaster Mage cannot have Snap as a nickname). We are also looking to limit the amount of times a synonym has to get removed so nicknames of cards during their presence in the standard formats are not likely to be put in, as they become forgotten or even re-used when they rotate out. These are also done manually so sometimes a change might just take a while to do if it encompasses a large number of cards or a large number of synonyms.. We also won't be going through alternate language as possible synonyms because WotC doesn't nearly double check duplicate card names for foreign languages as well as they do for English cards.
This is not something on the card submission form, so it is not available to edit for any user.
If you know of something missing like common misspellings or common non-American spellings that will be needed, or cycle syntaxes that you tried to use but didn't work, post them here and I'll review them for possible inclusion in the future.
EDIT: Before you ask for a nickname etc to be added:
- Check if it exists first by trying it out.
- Check if the larger community recognizes it, this is done by going around discords, lgs' and other forums about that nickname.
- Check if it has any nsfw, discriminatory or derogatory terminology, we straight up will not allow these.
This isn't a system for your pet nickname that your local playgroup uses. This is a system that can utilize nicknames that naturally grew organically out of continued use from the larger mtg community as a whole. This isn't a "which nicknames do you think this system could use" but rather "which nicknames that are used across the world that we have missed".
2 weeks ago
Thanks for the comments. Glad you found it informative, which is the goal!
The reason Giver of Runes is excluded is exactly what you noted, cannot give itself protection, so it takes away the ability to block, and then for protection. It also means itself can be removed fairly easily.
In addition, once I have a Mother of Runes in play to protect Kaalia of the Vast or make her unblockable (by a single color), I don't want a duplication of that effect. Imagine a starting hand with 2x Mother of Runes, wouldn't be good.
Mother of Runes is certainly an optional choice as well, a well timed Silence into a haste Kaalia of the Vast can be more effective, and a Silence has better modularity. I like Mother of Runes because it breaks up the CMC for Silence which allows to go 1 turn earlier in some cases. Again it's subjective.
Easily could be subbed out for other synergy cards too, like a Children of Korlis to enable Razaketh, the Foulblooded or Doom Whisperer opening into Infinite win-con lines, or Thassa's Oracle interaction like Abeyance or Hushbringer. Even with Flash (Protean Hulk) banned, Thassa's Oracle + Tainted Pact or Demonic Consultation still require interaction. Evaluate if your losing because Kaalia of the Vast gets target removed, or if your losing because others are winning first, will help you decide if Mother of Runes and/or Giver of Runes is the right choice, or if you need a stronger interaction package like Red Elemental Blast/Pyroblast which I would highly recommend in a dominated format.
If you prefer Giver of Runes because you need the protection from Colorless, she can replace Mother of Runes, if you don't need that, then Mother of Runes has better modularity and protection. If your getting hit with target removal, double up and run both (or a Silence).
2 weeks ago
This is the best primer I've seen for Kaalia, hands down. Your detailed explanations regarding card choices are very nice to see. Have you considered Giver of Runes as Mom 2? It can't give itself protection, but its main purpose is to protect Kaalia instead anyways.
3 weeks ago
Ok folks my last two trade posts were mostly unsuccessful but I'm not letting that stop me! I need a few cards for a deck I'm building in addition to the multitude of cards I am ALWAYS trading for!
The cards I am looking to acquire with the highest priority are a single copy of the following (any version):
- Giver of Runes
- Mother of Runes
- Steelshaper's Gift
- Walking Ballista
- Daxos the Returned
- Heliod, Sun-Crowned
- Ranger-Captain of Eos
- Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord
- Teferi's Protection
- Thousand-Year Elixir
- Rugged Prairie
- Sunbaked Canyon
- Arid Mesa
- Bloodstained Mire
- Marsh Flats
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
These are all in the wants of my binder, linked here. I'm fairly confident I currently have the binder with the most unique entries on the site with no junk commons/uncommons, so pretty much everything should either be a rare/mythic or a semi-playable card in commander or other formats. Please take a look, and let me know if we can work something out! As a fun little bonus, if we end up trading, guess the commander whose deck will include all of the above cards! If you guess correctly, I will trade 10% more value worth of cards than I receive (example: You send $50 worth of cards and I send $55 worth)
4 weeks ago
Looks pretty good, only a few suggestions.
More ramp. Zurgo on turn 4 is a million times better than Zurgo on turn 5. And since you're running only 33 lands. Arcane Signet Rakdos Signet Talisman of Indulgence Mind Stone will round out your ramp package.
I'd add Giver of Runes to help make Zurgo unblockable or just protect him when that's not needed.
Remember a key concept of voltron: only 3 numbers matter. 7, 11, and 21. Three hit clock, two hit clock, one hit clock. Zurgo is 7 power. If your equipment aren't making Zurgos power 11, They aren't helping. I personally think Doublecleave effects are better than equips for Zurgo. Duelist's Heritage or Assault Strobe.
- Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale
- Moonlight Bargain
- Sublime Archangel
- Monastery Mentor
- Shatter the Sky