|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Draw two cards, then discard two cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (8)||jtfran02 , Royal_Windsor , Wiggins , Slowbro23 , itheoryz , Daddy1ong1egs13 , fireborne1986 , Forge|
|Want (8)||Blue_Otaku_No.1 , jeremy3036 , MasterBaty , rco , Syram , buildingadeck , GS10 , ryaniskool|
Careful Study Discussion
1 week ago
So I modified your list a bit, but I don't know if you want to see it. I'll offer some suggestions and leave a list at the bottom if you're interested in what it could look like.
I'd cut Hooting Mandrills. You're deck seems more interested in getting Threshold online. This card is contrary to that strategy and I think you found your beatdown body in Arrogant Wurm, which is just strictly better with trample.
After testing Rites of Refusal, I think it is just too cute and clunky. I found that this iteration of the deck doesn't run enough pure card advantage to justify "2-for-1"ing yourself. 8 counterspells may be enough anyway, but if you feel like you could use more, running Counterspell or Daze aren't bad options. They come with a little risk, not being mono U, but could be worth it.
I think you can cut Werebear. Breaks my heart to suggest it, but it might be risky to over-saturate your deck with threshold creatures. He's more vulnerable than Nimble Mongoose in the early game and I've already mentioned that the Arrogant Wurm seems like your 4/4 of choice. You aren't an aggro deck so, rather than just throwing a ton of 4/4's in the opponent's face, the tempo deck's concern is laying down select threats in the early to mid game and protecting/disrupting your way to victory.
I've found that with Careful Study and other looting effects, I'd rather have card advantage that gave me more to discard to cards like Waterfront Bouncer and Wild Mongrel. Accumulated Knowledge or Deep Analysis are good cards for stocking your hand to give strength to your discard engines.
Merfolk Looter and Obsessive Search feel super good in conjunction. The looter offers another instant speed dicard outlet that isn't as mana hungry as Waterfront Bouncer and, when combined with madness, it reads "tap: draw a card." Obsessive Search offers increased value to your discard engines and helps you to dig for relevant cards.
Consider Just the Wind. It's effectively a Vapor Snag in your deck which is a tempo staple in pauper. It can clear the way for attacks or save one of your own creatures while fizzling a removal spell.
AEther Tradewinds is another card I was looking at. This can bounce back pesky non-creature that dodged one of your counterspells the first time. Once again, fizzles removal while tempoing your opponent. Also, never hurts to have Basking Rootwalla back in hand.
Lastly, I toyed around with a mana base that is slightly slower but much more consistent. Ash Barrens and Thornwood Falls offer you fixing. Simic Growth Chamber does this as well and allows you the ability to cut back on lands (as one Growth chamber is effectively two lands on one card). Being able to bounce back a basic you no longer need to discard to one of your engines, all while hitting your land drop, is also not half bad.
Deck List: UG Madness Sample Deck
PS. Let me know if you have any sideboard questions.
3 weeks ago
Cards to try out:
2 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 months ago
I came to this list from the Reddit thread you posted in. I do like your build, does Borderland Explorer really play that well; as Aquamoeba gives instant speed discard? I always keep Careful Study at a 4 of for turn 1 to set up your discard for an explosive turn 3 with Daze backup.
Here is my list let me know what you think. My Sideboard is still a work in progress. -> Madness List
2 months ago
Very cool deck! Since your goal is to keep it casual I'll suggest cards that are upgrades to stuff you already have, that way you can do what you've been doing just a bit faster/more consistently.
Mana Ramp:At the moment I see 7 sources of artifact ramp in your deck. I'd highly recommend increasing that to the 10-12 range, it will drastically speed up your deck.
Card Draw:The 6 card draw spells you have here are fine but I'd recommend adding at least 5 more, specifically card spells that help you discard into your graveyard or fill up your hand on the cheap.
Land:If you up your mana rock count to the 10-12 range, you can drop your land count down to 32-34 and have no issues.
The best way to go about improving your landbase is focusing on adding lands that enter untapped and can give you multiple colors.
Are just a few examples of lands you should consider adding in place of slower, enter tapped lands.
That's just the basic rundown of how to improve the core of your deck and make it a bit more consistent. Hopefully those ideas help!
2 months ago
Have you tried any of the sagas such as The Eldest Reborn? Seems like really good incremental advantage.
2 months ago
Muldrotha applies to all types of permanents, not just creatures. I'd say instead of running 33 creatures you put a more diversified mix of permanents into the deck; creatures, enchantments (look into sagas such as The Eldest Reborn, also second Pernicious Deed) and cheaper Planeswalkers with good minus-loyalty effects. Life from the Loam would seemingly be a busted engine card in a deck like this. Ditto Hermit Druid. This deck wants cheap plays that can get cards into the graveyard, such as Careful Study and Entomb.
2 months ago
If you can afford it Training Grounds is really nice in this deck. Buried Alive can also be helpful if you have certain pieces you want to reanimate. Lich Lord of Unx can also be really helpful, given that he produces more zombies and has an ability that works well with having lots of zombies under your control. Also, given that you have Dictate of Erebos you may consider Grave Pact, as well as some additional sac-outlets like Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Carrion Feeder, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born, etc. Beyond those suggestions there is also the additional board wipe of Noxious Ghoul or Damnation, as well as the much needed card draw given by Rhystic Study, Phyrexian Arena, Graveborn Muse, and, two of my favorites for this kind of deck Careful Study and Frantic Search.
I have my own necromancy based EDH deck, albeit Gisa and Geralf and geared towards 1v1, if you'd like to look at some of the decisions I've made for a zombie-tribal EDH. It's called Bring Out Yer Dead!!! Happy brewing!