|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari||Uncommon|
|From the Vault: Relics||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Imprint — When Isochron Scepter enters the battlefield, you may exile an instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your hand.
, : You may copy the exiled card. If you do, you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||Paradise_Collectibles , AtomicEmpire , , golgarigirl , acbooster , sonnet666 , HydraOoze , mcstang1986 , Nemesis , tragic_slip , Swamy , MoJoMiXuP , Roadhog , philktoken8998|
|Want (2)||fireborne1986 , LegendDeer|
Isochron Scepter Discussion
5 hours ago
thecakeisalie42 cool that you like the concept! White sun's Zenith produces cats...Looks god but I think it could be too expensive. It's 4 mana for 1 2/2, 5 mana for 2, 6 mana for 3, which is too much for getting vanilla creatures. It would only make sense with 7, 8 or more mana and I doubt that I will frequently get so much mana at all. I would say our games are often decided between turns 3 and maybe 5 or 6, unless it's a heavy control/combo matchup and I would have to try how often I can even play such a late-game-only spell...it's also the only deck in which I use colour specific mana doublers, so I can't say yet how realistic it is.
As for austere command...I don't want to play it on artifacts, I surely don't want to play it on small creatures (and probably not on big ones either, because with this deck I'm probably THE aggro player on the table) so it would most likely be an expensive mass removal for enchantments. I have thought about using Isochron Scepter and more cheap instants for targeted removal though. Could also work with Silence Abeyance and Orim's Chant.
I want to use the new full art lands here and I believe I'm the only one who plays White anyway here...besides, replacing the Basics with snow covered is so common that it's more realistic to deny them the lens by using normal Basics. At least I've seen both strategies so often, that it's no reliable trick anymore. I think the earliest I can play this deck for real is next week because I'm waiting for some cards - then I can tell more about how well the ideas worked out.
Quicksilver: Nykthos...Need to get another one for this deck, good idea. I've recently sold all my Emeria the Sky ruin, I don't think it will do much here anyway because I probably won't reach 7 lands in any game. The land searching stuff is there to create card advantage with Scroll Rack and with all the mana artifacts I will probably stop at around 5 lands in play.
11 hours ago
Might I suggest an Isochron Scepter? I normally wouldn't recommend it since it eats a card and thus normally requires two uses before you get your money's worth, but since this deck is low on draw power with only Faithless Looting, Isochron Scepter could be worth it to maintain pressure. Or just repeatedly Surgical Extraction after every time you kill something. I've also found it to be useful for holding onto removal when an opponent is running a lot of discard.
2 days ago
Also, another use for all them tokens is Cryptolith Rite.
2 days ago
SecondDeath777: You have absolutely no idea how flattered I am to hear that! I'm glad people are finding new ways to use the deck that I didn't even realize.
I was actually playing a game the other day, and ended up encountering a counter-lock that the deck can do in the right conditions. Paradox Engine along with some rocks, with Isochron Scepter and Mana Drain attached to the scepter, like you mentioned. Infinite Mana Drains means I win, and it was quite funny going "Wait, guys, I think I won...?"
Just goes to show that you never really know your deck, even after 3 years with it!
Also, thank you for the suggestion! Telepathy is an interesting card in EDH and I almost wish I had a spot for it, but I feel like it's a bit too 'win more' if that makes sense. It presents you with a lot of information, yes, but you should be outracing the other decks anyways to the point where what's in their hand doesn't really even matter. The card also almost immediately makes you a target for the whole time it's out, and then usually for the rest of the game afterwards because people are irrational and since the deck is blue, they'll target you for any minor misdeed. "You countered his Malignus on turn 3, clearly you're the main threat!" kinda thing.
Anyways, thank you so much for the kind words, it's comments like yours that keep me doing what I do :)
2 days ago
Hey etheraldreamer, Inexorable Tide is excellent, see where your going there. The reason I don't run it is simply its CMC 5, I'm hoping to already be setup with Mizzix of the Izmagnus around there. Longer term you'll get more value playing a Inexorable Tide.
Austin_Smith_of_Cards, excellent suggestions. Lava Spike + Desperate Ritual + Izzet Guildmage is an excellent kill combo. Adding it to my description above. The only part I don't like is that the Lava Spike, standalone it's not that great. Desperate Ritual although a little under powered, is still borderline playable card. Usually I prefer combos where each card is okay on it's own, but not always, see Pili-Pala.
Stroke of Genius has been on the cusp, for a long time. I keep questioning whether to get it in there or not. Visions of Beyond seems like the best remove for it, but I'm so low on Isochron Scepter targets as is. I've had 2 scenarios in 7 games now where i've had to wait 2 turns to pull an instant with CMC 2 or less for the Isochron Scepter so I know that I need more targets not less. Curious Homunculus Flip / Voracious Reader Flip is more likely.
I have Scour from Existence in my maybeboard, Purphoros, God of the Forge is a key reason why Scour from Existence is key. Chaos Warp for me just doesn't do it. In play testing I'm still trying to figure out if 1) Play for my infinite combo, or 2) Have control to stop other combos is the correct play. Thus far I haven't lost (yet, but been at 1 life). Can't remember all the commander's I've faced (No Prossh, Skyraider of Kher yet so that would be a real challenge). Some commanders: Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge, Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, Breya, Etherium Shaper (seems to be the flavor of the month right now), Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Kaalia of the Vast, Oloro, Ageless Ascetic, Karn, Silver Golem, The Gitrog Monster, can't remember any others. So verdict is till out on that. It's VERY good.
Fact or Fiction is funny, I just took it out of the deck Friday to test some other cards in it's place. I very much missed it in this weekend's games. Fact or Fiction returning to the deck soon as I figure out the removals. I'm considering removing the Isochron Scepter, that would change up a few cards that are simply there just to be targets, but then again when I think of an Isochron Scepter + Counterspell or Isochron Scepter + Mystical Tutor or Isochron Scepter + Cyclonic Rift... hmm, how do I not want that recursion, or a Visions of Beyond! = Draw 3 cards.
All Excellent suggestions, any or all should be in the deck. I'm still trying to figure out my fringe cards. Training Grounds maybe.
2 days ago
I would suggest you put in some more stuff that meddles with the counters on the commander. Preferrably cards that are good alone as well and/or can win the game on their own.
For example: Clockspinning - also works well with planeswalkers and the buyback makes an easy infinite combo with Paradox Engine (don't forget to add more mana artifacts!). Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal is a similar method and both cards are great on their own. Contagion Clasp is a nice removal for little creatures and it can help with the commander counters too...very effective with Tezzeret the Seeker .
good planeswalkers for this deck would be Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Tezzeret the Seeker and maybe some Ajani or Gideon, because most of the cards for these two guys have some aggro boosts in their abilities.
2 days ago
3 days ago
A few initial thoughts:
- I'm a bit unclear on why you're running Darkheart Sliver--is there a synergy there that I'm not seeing?
- Why omit Mox Diamond and Grim Monolith? Running the mana-positive rocks seems like it furthers your game plan in a pretty real way.
- In much the same way that Vampiric Tutor is good, Imperial Seal is good. I'm not sure you need Grim Tutor, but it's certainly worth considering.
- I'm very leery of Veteran Explorer; I know it easily gets you two more lands during your combo turn, but it also gives two lands to everyone else, and that's a dicey trade-off if you plan on pushing through disruption. What does including it do for you?
- SquirrelCraft seems a bit cute, especially since you're light on free sac outlets. Seeing as you're already running infinite mill as a meaningful line, Altar of Dementia doesn't seem an unreasonable option to consider if you're keen to win by squirrels for days, but I feel there are stronger options--Exsanguinate comes to mind.
- Elvish Spirit Guide seems largely inferior to Lotus Petal in this context; it's a 3-drop (Ad Nauseam/Dark Confidant) that only ever gives you one of your two colors.
- What are your main targets for Reanimate and Unearth? Is there any merit in Entomb, or are those purely ways to recur combo pieces?
- Dryad Arbor over a basic Forest could be very strong; you can grab it off fetchlands, and it makes T1 GSZ a ramp spell.
- On the topic of fetchlands, your colors give you access to seven* of them, and you should almost certainly run them all.
- If you haven't already, consider Toxic Deluge as an additional board wipe--it may never make it in, but it's an extremely cheap and potent card
- Depending on how full your graveyard gets when you're starting to go off, Cabal Ritual feels like it would be naturally at home alongside Dark Ritual and Culling the Weak
- Bloom Tender in a two-color deck feels dubious, but I'm not quite prepared to say it's necessarily wrong, either.
- Given your reliance on mana dorks, Benefactor's Draught functions as a ritual that cantrips; if you choose to pair it with Isochron Scepter, it also draws you your deck while giving you an outrageous amount of mana.
I hope some of this helps! I like the direction you seem to be taking this.