|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Common|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Common|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|Masters Edition (MED)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Counter target spell. Its controller may draw up to two cards at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
You draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||ironax , NostalgicAce , meowCat1234 , Vergil_Redgrail , PTsmitty , dplerner , RazortoothMtg , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , bakunet , pskinn01 , MoJoMiXuP , bakeraj4|
Arcane Denial Discussion
1 day ago
I think you mean Talisman of Dominance, not impulse. I would recommend cutting the bounce lands, they're too slow and screw up your turn two. Essence Scatter should be a counterspells better suited to protecting your combo - Muddle the Mixture or Arcane Denial would be better choices.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
I think that Lightning Greaves might be better off as a counterspell of some sort. Probably Arcane Denial or Swan Song. Because if you're worried about targeted removal on the God then the greaves only stops it assuming it isn't Instant speed removal. If its instant speed interaction it just removes the god in response to the equip anyway. Counters force you to have a mana or two extra up to protect your God but also allow you to interact with opposing combos or other troublesome spells.
2 weeks ago
Just did a quick 1v1 w this and my Gonti deck for fun so here's what I would advise from that brief play and looking at your list:
No one likes infect so if you don't always want to be archenemy then I would cut them for unblockable threats like Triton Shorestalker & co.
Cancel is meh, tbh, even Dissolve is better. I personally like using counters that replace themselves even though they usually cost a little more. Arcane Denial, Statute of Denial, Failed Inspection and Dream Fracture.
Progenitor Mimic is cute but if you want a clone why not Altered Ego since it gets counters (on theme)?
Cards that I saw and I was confused why they were even in here were Majestic Myriarch (not many creatures have keywords on them), Loam Larva (kills your next draw, how about Farhaven Elf?), Kruphix, God of Horizons (Thassa, God of the Sea and Nylea, God of the Hunt make more sense), Triskelion (expensive, slow, win-more), Orochi Hatchery (Snake Basket is better imo), Planar Bridge (so expensive to use), and Inexorable Tide (feels win-more).
Hope something helps!
3 weeks ago
I tried dropping Ponder and Preordain for stuff like Peek to go infinite with Engine and Scepter. Shit idea. Do not recommend.
Few Questions, not saying you're wrong about the choices, just curious.
- Why Trinket Mage?
- How necessary is Aetherflux Reservoir?
- Why Capsize? I get that it's a good outlet, but it's usefulness on it's own seems mediocre.
- A lot of people aren't enamored with Arcane Denial in cEDH. What are your thoughts on it?
- You dropped Idyllic Tutor?
As always, you're awesome for iterating on the deck.
3 weeks ago
Current Deck Criticisms/Upgrades
- Tooth and Nail, Craterhoof Behemoth, and Blightsteel Colossus seem out of place. Tooth and Nail feels like there should be a combo win in here to fetch. I don't know how you play, but I always hold a few creatures in my hand. I try to stay around 2-4 threats on the field at once so I can recover from wrath effects. Craterhoof could be an Overrun essentially, but that's merely a preference I believe.
- Living Death feels too symmetrical. You don't want them to get their threats back. Sun Titan might do the same job albeit it more slowly.
- Reanimate feels like not enough punch for the deck for a one-and-done effect. Phyrexian Reclamation is a permanent source of card advantage.
- Triumph of the Hordes is another card that could be Overrun/Overwhelming Stampede for one more colorless mana. More bang for the buck than +1/+1.
- Seedborn Muse - You don't have a lot of tap effects or cards with flash. What is this card adding to the deck?
- Counterspell - Negate and Arcane Denial are easier to cast with your mana base even though the former is slightly limited. The latter provides replaces itself. Both also seem better than the conditionally useful Corrupted Resolve.
- Crop Rotation - Is this the Inkmoth Nexus-finder? If you need more infect creatures, I would just add more creatures instead of fetching up a land.
- Slip Through Space - Although not a cantrip, Artful Dodge does the same thing and you can use it twice via flashback.
New Card Suggestions
I would strongly recommend some mana ramp and mana fixing:
Increase Color Availability
- Golgari Signet
- Noble Hierarch - Fixes mana and pumps creatures -- win-win!
- Orzhov Signet
- Plague Myr - colorless mana in a pinch AND infect!
- Simic Signet
- Contagion Engine - You really want this card. It closes out games on its own.
- Spread the Sickness - Slow/late game (5 CMC) removal, but it proliferates.
- Fuel for the Cause - Slow/late game (4 CMC) counterspell, but it proliferates.
- Corpse Cur - Eternal Witness #2 (almost) and it has infect.
- Lux Cannon - Not the fastest around, but a steady source of removal.
- Spinebiter - Infect with built-in "evasion".
- Trigon of Infestation - With a proliferation source, you can keep using this to recover from board wipes or cost-effectively overwhelm opponents.
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestions on my Atraxa list. Wanted to return the favor.
I love Big Blue. It's cool to see a Teferi list that goes all-in on that theme rather than abusing the untap effect with all the Stax cards (which, I'll admit, is what I did). Also love seeing Dismiss Into Dream. One of my favorite cards that seems to rarely find a home.
A couple options you might consider:
- With the number of available mana rocks, Paradox Engine is probably really strong here. At worst, it'll let you leave mana open after casting one of your big creatures to hold up counters or other effects. It can also let you get more value out of Endbringer and it gives all of your creatures pseudo-vigilance.
- It's a bit pricey, but if Gilded Lotus is in your budget, it's makes it a lot easier to chain colored spells with Paradox Engine. Worst case, just throwing in a Commander's Sphere might not be a bad option (it only taps for 1, but at least it can cantrip, and it's colored mana).
- Since you have a lot of bounce effects Capsize might be a good option. Sadly, it's a nonbo with Dismiss into Dream, but with a bunch of mana rocks, it can just win the game on the spot with Paradox Engine.
- Another possible buyback card is Whispers of the Muse. While it's 6 mana to draw a card, the fact that it's instant speed makes it really flexible, and it can draw your whole deck with Paradox Engine.
- Any buyback card that you can go infinite on with Paradox Engine also just wins the game immediately with Endbringer as well.
- Other options for bounce are Time Elemental and Temporal Adept. They also both synergize nicely with Dismiss into Dream for repeatable removal.
- Psychic Rebuttal and Delay both seem pretty situational. You might consider just Counterspell or things like Swan Song or Arcane Denial for low-cost counters.
Some possible cuts:
- Hedron Matrix seems marginal. It's a big P/T boost, but if you're throwing it on something that can be chumped anyway, it doesn't do a lot. If you really want equipment, something like Loxodon Warhammer to give your big guys trample and gain all the life or maybe Blade of Selves to really smash the table. But you probably have enough control and beef that equipment is just not doing much for you.
- Ghostform getting 2 creatures through once may not be enough. If you're looking for evasion, maybe Thassa, God of the Sea is an option? Also helps filter your deck, although she'd almost never be a creature in this deck. It may be correct to just lean on the Rogue's Passage.
- Skittering Invasion seems like it's not likely to do much very often. If you have the mana to cast it, you had at least 6 mana to cast Teferi, at which point you probably just want to cast something big.
- Salvage Drone is a really small effect, even for 1 mana.
3 weeks ago
Saw your reddit post but figured I'd post here: there's some good ideas going on but you're not playing to merfolks' strengths.
For instance, a few of the lords give islandwalk yet you don't have anything to make islands in case your opponent isn't playing blue. Spreading Seas, Quicksilver Fountain, and Tideshaper Mystic can solve this.
I love Talrand and the new Primal Amulet looks fun but you've got 13/99 cards that interact with them. Not worth it if you keep those #s imo. Lullmage Mentor is also subpar due to you only having 3 counters.
Due to Ixalan more Simic merfolk care about counters, especially Herald of Secret Streams, so giving counters out to complement could be beneficial. Retreat to Kazandu and Bow of Nylea come immediately to mind because they are solid in here regardless but boost a counter strategy too.
Cards that look odd in here to me are Acidic Slime, Emperor's Vanguard, Waker of the Wilds, Psychosis Crawler, Chasm Skulker, and Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix. These are mostly decent cards I just don't see how they really gel with your deck. The last few regard draw and I honestly don't see a lot in here to call it a "sub theme" (14 sources at a quick glance, most 1-shots). Pull from Tomorrow, Blue Sun's Zenith, Rhystic Study, Coastal Piracy, Shamanic Revelation, Elemental Bond (if you have a lord out most merfolk will come in as 3+/x), Mystic Remora, Azami, Lady of Scrolls (lots of merfolk are also wizards), etc. ensure you either get a lot of draw for your spell or continual draw if not dealt with.
You also have very little interaction so if you're opponent is faster or doing something degenerate you're screwed. Beast Within is great, I personally like cards such as Slice in Twain, Mystic Melting, Arcane Denial, Dream Fracture, etc. because while a little more expensive they deal with a problem and replace themselves.
Hope something I said helps!