|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2011 Core Set||Common|
Combos Browse all
Add 3R to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Pyretic Ritual Discussion
5 hours ago
The cards you generally want in your first Gifts are Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual, Manamorphose, and Past in Flames. From there it's super easy to go off, cast Gifts again, and repeat until your storm count is high enough to Grapeshot them.
2 days ago
Depends if you want to make it modern legal or keep it casual. Some of the cards in here at the moment like mind's desire, snap, and temporal fissure aren't modern legal so they would have to be among the cuts. I'm going to talk about modern but if you're not picky about formats, i can talk about cards not in modern as well.
In general though if you up the amount of ways to make spells cheaper like Goblin Electromancer and Baral, Chief of Compliance, your rituals like Pyretic Ritual, Desperate Ritual and even Manamorphose nets you mana. You are also going to want a fair number of cantrips like Sleight of Hand and Serum Visions to keep the chain going. Once you fill up your graveyard you can cast Past in Flames to do it again and end the chain with Empty the Warrens or Grapeshot. (some decks run gifts ungiven so they can take past in flames and say, would you rather i cast this from my hand or graveyard?)
Here's a sample modern storm list (just know that Gitaxian Probe has been since banned in modern)
(storm is stronger in eternal formats like legacy and vintage where you have acess to cards like Dark Ritual and Tendrils of Agony. I can talk more about what those sorts of decks look like if you want but for now i'd stick to modern or casual since legacy/vintage are super expensive/fast paced)
5 days ago
Flame Slash could help take some bigger creatures, if you wanted it in the sideboard. Pyretic Ritual or Desperate Ritual could make your Seething Song ridiculous on turn 2, so those are ideas. Hope that helps.
6 days ago
Another thing I'd point out is the Pyromancer's Ascension is a bit out of place, 90% of the time it'll be a dead drop and the other 10% you'll get to copy like one or two things realistically. It's more of a combo piece for Storm decks with Faithless Looting, Manamorphose, and the Pyretic Ritual.
1 week ago
like the idea, if you want, take a look at my similar deck:
SCORE: 3 | 2 COMMENTS | 296 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
i like running protection in the form of Apostle's Blessing, since it doubles up as a spell to make something unblockable. i'd make the following edits:
this should make the deck more consistent! obviously improving the mana base with fetches and shocks (or painlands if on budget) would be ideal, but that can come later. good luck!
1 week ago
Turn 1 combo deck that your friends do not have: Belcher!
Chrome mox can easily be replaced by almost anything, since they are a bit expensive. I think that Street Wraith is the cheapest replacement.
1 week ago
np, dude. I love tinkering with rogue decks. to me, that's the highlight of the game is trying to snap it in half with a new deck idea. I like and dont like the changes. I like the direction it's taken, but i dislike that it made the deck quite a bit less consistent. it's obvious why; there are too many 2-ofs in the deck now. it's interesting that the deck didnt lose much power to it, though.
Anyway, I spent an irresponsible amount of time testing this today. You should be happy, I ended up going back to a more aggressive strategy, lol. In the end, the biggest problem your deck has is the mana base. it slows you down, and can really screw you over in a lot of circumstances. I first looked into cheaper options that would make it more consistent, but in the end i found the best way was to go mono-red. And man, what a difference it made. here's that version of the deck, as it sits right now I swear i'm not cheating.
Obviously I dont expect you to mirror my build, but i thought it might give you some really good ideas. in particular, Faithless Looting was a massive game changer, allowing me to draw into combo pieces way earlier. I tried running a version with 4x Pyretic Ritual and 3x Desperate Ritual along with Simian Spirit Guide (basically full on ramp). My hope was that it would allow me to drop either Quicksilver Amulet or Deathrender and crack them in the same turn (or at least earlier), but it just never worked properly. also, dont mind my choice of big-bad creatures to finish the game, we'll never agree on the best ones, however, i think the ideal number of them is 8.
Last, I think you can get away with a very small number of removal spells. The bulk of your deck's focus is (and should be) getting the combo going. so dont stray from that too much