|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Target player draws two cards and loses 2 life.
Painful Lesson Discussion
5 months ago
A massive update this time. One that I'm very excited about. Here are the changes:
- Gilded Lotus -> Fanatical Firebrand
- Sword of the Animist -> Swiftfoot Boots
- Mana Crypt -> Thermo-Alchemist
- Neheb, the Eternal -> Pilgrim's Eye
- Abyssal Persecutor -> Coldsteel Heart
- Dire Fleet Ravager -> Rune-Scarred Demon
- Fiery Confluence -> Painful Truths
- Olivia Voldaren -> Goblin Fireslinger
- Damnation -> Damnable Pact
- Steel Hellkite -> It That Betrays
- Bojuka Bog -> Smoldering Marsh
- Oppression -> Artisan of Kozilek
- Rakdos, the Showstopper -> Theater of Horrors
- Sol Ring -> Lobber Crew
- Flame Rift -> Gamble
- Rakdos Charm -> Lotus Petal
- Duplicant -> Walking Ballista
- Scourge of the Throne -> Void Winnower
- Bloodgift Demon -> Mask of Memory
- Kokusho, the Evening Star -> Painful Lesson
- Oblivion Stone -> Necropotence
- Risk Factor -> Dark Ritual
- Whip of Erebos -> Plague Spitter
- Heartless Hidetsugu -> Arguel's Blood Fast Flip
Overall, the deck is faster and more consistent. Here's a summary of changes by card category:
- direct damage is now at lower cmc
- -1 Ramp
- +1 protection/haste
- +2 tutor
- +5 draw
- +1 anti-control
- -4 Creature removal
- -2 graveyard hate
- -1 discard
- -1 extra attack
- -1 lifegain/recursion
- +1 removal
So the changes overall are lower cmc, more draw and tutor, less creature removal and less utility (graveyard hate, extra attacks, etc.) Overall, the early turn plays to get direct damage and get Rakdos out are far more prevalent. The deck is more aggressive and more focused now, and plays much smoother.
And yes, this is the only deck I have where I've taken out Sol Ring . It's simply better to have only colored mana in order to cast Rakdos as consistently as possible!
6 months ago
6 months ago
OK so I'd not been active on TO for a little while and after clearing up a bunch of notifications I popped over to my list of decks to find.... this nonsense:
- Anguished Unmaking
- Charcoal Diamond
- Cruel Edict
- Curious Obsession
- Curse of Chaos
- Dark Bargain
- Drag Under
- Drowner of Hope
- False Dawn
- Karona, False God CMDR
- Lost Legacy
- Mind Rot
- Mox Diamond
- One with Nothing
- Painful Lesson
- Threads of Disloyalty
- Totally Lost
- Utter End
I'd titled the list: "Lost".
Now. I'm pretty sure I've only stuck a 5c commander into the list because I had to put something, however, I now have no memory or idea what I was thinking of or where this was going - any thoughts on what my connection was!!??
7 months ago
So I really like what you're doing here and the work you're putting in to your budget limitations.
Couple of things to consider: there are two different printings of Diabolic Tutor at 25 cents on SCG.
This next card is a little bit more difficult to spare space and card slots for, and would definitely require an absolute need for the card draw, but we have Glint-Sleeve Siphoner who is often too small a body for many people to care about, so it's never a removal priority (usually just killed in boardwipes etc) and is such an excellent 2-drop to find in the early game.
- Cremate (Return to Ravnica)
- Hired Torturer (Dragon's Maze)
- Grim Roustabout (Return to Ravnica)
- Perilous Shadow (Return to Ravnica)
- Scent of Nightshade
- Phyrexian Monitor
- Blood Vassal
- Painful Lesson
Next, to bring this to a new level and create a page on this site that cements you as King of Macar primers, I definitely think you should have 2 upgrade lists put aside that offer upgrades for a $20 budget, and for a $50 budget. Both of those are well in to the sub $100 range that you can call budget, and the first thing I always see people do with decklists is ask "what are some cheap ways I can improve this?"
Good work with everything so far, +1 from me. Also your title change gave me a good laugh, I like it.
11 months ago
I can tell just by looking at this briefly that this build has been improved over time as it looks very refined. As I am not experienced with this commander, take my comments with a grain of salt as you are more of the expert here.
I wonder if you could make use of more token producers - specifically ones that make at least 3 1/1 creatures at a time in order to use Teysa's first ability on demand if she's the only creature in play. Cards that come to mind include: Sengir Autocrat, Benevolent Offering, Increasing Devotion, Entrapment Maneuver, Spectral Procession, Martial Coup.
I think more card draw effects would be nice. I'm very surprised to not see Mentor of the Meek in here. I would argue that Read the Bones is strictly better than Painful Lesson. But overall I would consider adding a few more, some that come to mind that play well are: Damnable Pact, Skeletal Scrying, Blood Divination, Altar's Reap, Ancient Craving.
I think you could use more mana ramp. Besides mana rocks, you could take advantage of treasures with cards like Pitiless Plunderer.
Not sure if you've thought about focusing on strong cards that care about low CMC. Besides Mentor of the Meek, other cool cards could be added (some would even interact with Teysa): Unearth, Sun Titan, Reveillark, Citywide Bust.
Fun cards that come to mind that you could add:
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded Not a cheap card at around $6, but could be insane in this deck.
- Archfiend of Despair - also around $6 and high cmc, but would be nuts for ending a long game quickly
- Krav, the Unredeemed I know you said you recently traded him, but it could be worth hunting down another cheap non-foil one and run him with Regna, the Redeemer.
- Bontu the Glorified and/or Oketra the True
- Athreos, God of Passage not cheap at $12, but could be useful when you don't have tokens to sacrifice
- Eliminate the Competition - very underestimated IMO
- Black Market I'm usually very picky when it comes to enchantments at 5+ CMC, but maybe this one would be worth it in a long game since it sees tokens dying.
Lastly, a few cards I think could possibility be cut for any of the above (I am often eager to cut high CMC cards btw):
- Treasury Thrull - a good effect I'll admit, but I'm just not thrilled with the 6 CMC. If reviving creatures is your main goal, something like a Hell's Caretaker's effect for less mana might be better.
- Voldaren Pariah Flip - at her cmc with that effect, I think I'd rather run a board wipe instead
- Vizkopa Confessor - looks like a fun card, but I don't like the CMC.
- Profane Command - I don't know that this should be cut, but I'd encourage you to really ask yourself which modes you typically use because you might be able to get a card with the desired mode for less mana. If X spells are a way for you close out the game, you could consider Exsanguinate or Torment of Hailfire.
- Tamiyo's Journal - looks like a fun card, but idk about the cmc, requires a long game before providing lots of value.
- Tainted Sigil - I've never seen this card before, does it pay off well? I just don't like that people can see it on the board.
Overall, very impression decklist - glad you rebuilt it. Eager to face it next week.
on edgar markov
1 year ago
Card Draws & Tutors
I think this deck needs card draws and tutors badly. Boros ain't know for both categories but fear not, as we've Black to the rescue!
Mentor of the Meek Hang on, what's a Human doing among the unearthly blood sucking vampires... He actually synergizes very well with the horde of 1/1 tokens that we're putting into play each turn, replenishing our hands as we build an army.
Skullclamp a must play since we're generate tokens turn after turn, we should have enough to go around to crack some skulls and draw some cards.
Necropotence the go to card for card draw in black.
Vampiric Rites Sac outlet and card draw, with a mini life gain on the side.
1 year ago
For the sake of saving words I'm just going to list my cuts and my adds. Then feel free to ask any questions.
Cuts: Esper Panorama, Haunted Fengraf, Rupture Spire, Transguild Promenade, Doom Blade, Invoke the Divine, Renewed Faith, Revitalize, Snuff Out, Undying Evil, Angelic Edict, Solemn Offering, Syphon Mind, Urborg Uprising, Soul Link, Guardian of the Guildpact, Kor Cartographer, Commander's Sphere, Orzhov Cluestone, Seer's Lantern, Vampire Envoy, Unhallowed Pact, Painful Lesson, Live Fast, Wayfarer's Bauble, Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Adds: Forsaken Sanctuary, Polluted Mire, Drifting Meadow, Whispersilk Cloak, Thorn of the Black Rose, Palace Sentinels, Chill to the Bone, Eyeblight's Ending, Rend Flesh, Merciless Resolve, Disturbed Burial, Grim Harvest, Afterlife, Forsake the Worldly, Journey to Nowhere, Fountain of Youth, Luxa River Shrine, Marble Chalice, Pious Kitsune, Stone Haven Medic, Tanglebloom, Fellwar Stone, Prismatic Lens, Gold Myr, Leaden Myr, Guardian Idol
1 year ago
Sure, it defiantly sounds interesting. Nekusar also seems really interesting as well and I can see a lot of combos that can be done in a deck with him. Like using Painful Lesson , Mind Rot , etc, like a discard/mill deck.
Painful Lesson occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%