All creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn for each Swamp you control.
|Have (3)||CompleteWaste , abritt , vashaclarens|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
1 week ago
Hey, you're welcome.
In my last comment I said "there's quite a few cards that look out of place" what I mean by this are cards that are creatures who you don't want to or can't cheat onto the battlefield with Kaalia, cards that don't help Kaalia in any way or support that's simply not worth the mana cost of the card. You have many more good cards than subpar ones and I don't want to discourage your deck building, but the rest of this comment are examples of cards that don't belong.
- Auntie's Hovel: not enough Goblins.
- Ancient Amphitheater: there isn't a Giant here.
- Oswald Fiddlebender: powerful card, one of my favs from the set, but it needs artifacts for fuel as well as having an artifact that you want to search for. Only 11 artifacts isn't enough to play this guy.
- Wall of Reverence: you simply don't need this card to gain life since it can't be cheated onto the battlefield with Kaalia or can even attack. Any Angel who has lifelink would be a better source of life.
- Serra Angel: in this day and age of Magic Serra is the definition of subpar. Any other five drop Angel with lifelink would be an upgrade for her.
- Guttersnipe: It's not a bad card, but you need a lot of instants or sorceries to fuel it's damage trigger. Having only 18 instants or sorceries out of the other 99 cards is not enough to play Guttersnipe.
- Isochron Scepter: it's an expensive card here that doesn't have a lot fuel. Like Guttersnipe there's not enough instants, but even worse is Scepter can only interact with instants that are 2 or less mana thus there's only 9 options of 99 cards in the deck.
- Mutilate: with only 6 Swamps you're counting too much on controlling Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Multilate to have enough Swamps to be playable.
- Crypt Rats: same as Mutilate you're counting too much on controlling Urborg to have enough black mana sources.
2 weeks ago
I like the idea but I'd suggest a few additions.
Kamahl's Druidic Vow is a nice way to cheat some walkers into play.
Sorin Markov while a bit expensive can add a great deal of pressure just killing off weenies and if you get to use the ultimate you can really mess with an opponent.
Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth to help fix mana.
2 weeks ago
With that many swamps you can definitely get value from Mire's Toll as a discard source. Instead of Blood on the snow in the side, look for copies of Mutilate the negative effect will also kill creatures with indestructible.
1 month ago
You need more ramp since you have a lot of expensive cards. For ramp you need: Arcane Signet , Charcoal Diamond , Jet Medallion , Nyx Lotus , Dark Ritual , Culling the Weak , Wayfarer's Bauble , Bubbling Muck . Take out Ugin, the Ineffable . I don't know why you have it, there are hardly enough colorless cards to make it effective. Also take out Josu Vess, Lich Knight , Abhorrent Overlord , and a couple more expensive cards that cost 6+ cmc. You also need to change your boardwipes. They are far too expensive to be effective. Trade Necromantic Selection for Shadows' Verdict , Deadly Tempest for Mutilate , Oblivion Stone for Soul Shatter . I would suggest Decree of Pain for Damnation or Toxic Deluge considering the deck price. Other cards to consider adding: Swiftfoot Boots , Defile , Phyrexian Arena , Sign in Blood , Read the Bones , Night's Whisper . Since you are already running good sac outlets, Exsanguinate and Torment of Hailfire consider adding an Infinite Mana Combo. Make these changes and the deck will be much faster and more competitive.
2 months ago
Hey, you're welcome.
- Innocent Blood
- Plaguecrafter and Demon's Disciple
- Liliana's Triumph
- Vona's Hunger
- Tergrid's Shadow
- Call to the Grave
Living Death is powerful, but may be too expensive price. It's mass sacrifice for all players creatures and it's also mass reanimation for each player of any creatures that where in that players graveyard before you cast Living.
Black has some board wipes, unfortunately the better cards are not budget options, but here's a few that are.
- Life's Finale : also puts any three creatures of your choice from one opponent's library into their graveyard to embalm them with Scarab.
- Deadly Tempest : also does damage to each player.
- Crux of Fate : if there's no problematic Dragons then choose all nonDragon creatures.
Some more situational budget board wipes:
9 months ago
Also, I'm not sure if you're using Mutilate for a particular reason be it nostalgia, availability, whatever - but Damnation is another classic card that'd pack even more punch for the same mana cost if you're interested. Sometimes they can be a little pricey though too, especially depending on the printing, so I don't know.
Either way I think this looks extremely streamlined and solid with Dav in there along with everything else.
10 months ago
I've been playing Toshiro almost exclusively this year, here's a link to my deck if you're interested "Instant Tribal" - Toshiro Umezawa - EDH PRIMER I run a fair few Creatures to add some more variety to how the deck can play, as Toshiro often takes a back-seat until I have enough Mana and Instants to "go off" in one turn.
1 year ago
Thanks again Profet93 for the comments, you make some good points, and even if I don't use every suggested card, it's really good to see what other people are having success with, and shine a light on some unusual cards that might fit this unusual commander!
My budget is usually around $2 a card, unless its a card I can swap between decks. Urborg and Torment of Hailfire came from my past decks, or are on loan.
Slaughter Pact is an interesting one. There is juuuuuust enough good nonblack targets in my meta that having 1 card with that clause isn't too bad, but often I use it on a subpar target, just to get a big Toshiro flashback chain started for 0 mana.
Withering Boon is another interesting option. Personally, i'm not a huge fan of the art (which is often a stupid deal breaker for me), although in this case, it's not the reason I don't run it. In my meta, I'd much rather have a 2cmc removal spell. There aren't too many ETB creatures I need to worry about, and having a card that's a dead draw against an already developed board is a dealbreaker. Along with the fact that it's prettyyyy hard to use effectively with Tooshiro flashing it back. I'd have to; have an instant-speed way to kill a creature, have a target to kill, have a good target to counter, and have the mana to do it all at once... and i'd lose 3 life. I'd rather have a removal spell I can easily flash back in response to deaths in combat, or a Sorcery-speed removal spell. If I was up against some good ETD effects, or creature combos, i'd definitely consider adding it. I do love color-pie breaking cards. I'd run Mana Tithe in any white deck just for the giggles.
Using Dark Betrayal looks very very good!... probably too good for me to get away with without it being obvious i'm targeting my meta specifically...
Sudden Spoiling looks like another great one. I might give it a go one day, but there isn't a whole lot of big combat in my meta that this would interact with well. I might keep it in my "back of my mind while playing" list for a while to see how it might play out if I had it in my hand.
I have gotten hold of a Blast Zone, but haven't drawn it in a game yet. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.
I'm seeing a few interesting cards in the Zendikar Rising spoilers that may fit into the deck, namely Feed the Swarm (targeted Creature/Enchantment removal), Soul Shatter (powerful Edict effect) and Malakir Rebirth (creature protection stapled to a land). I'm also looking at making a new EDH deck (Feldon), which might mean i'd be able to make some more expensive upgrades, using cards that fit well into both decks. I might end up swapping Whispersilk Cloak for Lightning Greaves and maybe adding in a Worn Powerstone to help me ramp into my expensive creatures!