Castle Locthwain enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Swamp.
: Gain .
, : Draw a card, then you lose life equal to the number of cards in your hand.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Castle Locthwain Discussion
4 days ago
1 week ago
Hi Nerdytimesorwhatever, thank you for your kind words. Our playgroup is really happy with the houserule and it works like a charm! I even notice that people outside our crew noticed our house policy and show interest. The pool of cards is still immense, so I hear zero complaints from other players here.
You are totally right about the absurd powercreep. I feel magic is starting to lose the magical vibe that it long had when new sets came out. Now I feel overwhelmed by looking at what we are being flooded with. The desire for spoilers is also totally gone here...
As a little sidestep, we went a little nostalgic and created an interesting EDH format for nostalgic sake: Old School '99 EDH
Trying to combine the great format that EDH is with the nostalgic feel of the older cards. The rules are simple and can be found on both decks I created for our format. We really had a blast playing this; less combo and more vanilla style.
See these decks to give you an idea:
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 6 | 1 COMMENT | 245 VIEWS | IN 3 FOLDERS
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 11 | 8 COMMENTS | 526 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
Last note regarding this deck. I added Castle Locthwain . A swamp has been cut for it.
2 weeks ago
From your current sideboard i would only keep the 3x Feed the Swarm - its a great card for creature AND enchantment matchups.
Seeing that you run Agadeem's Awakening Flip i would surely play some creature based hate cards.
- 2x Blight Beetle - hates out heliod, humans & hardened scales & decent blicker against green fatties like Tarmogoyf , Elder Gargaroth , Tireless Tracker ... etc.
- 2x Yixlid Jailer - good grave hate
- 2x Plague Engineer - against tribal, tokens (and bloodghast)
For the rest 6x slots i would play:
- 2x Ashiok, Dream Render - good against grave decks,tutor decks (tron to a degree, titan, heliod, STORM ...etc.)
- 2x Bontu's Last Reckoning - fastes boardwipe in the format, you should only need languish in situations where you give up your board for better topdecking - in such situations, the drawback is minimal, while the cmc 3 means you can play it in time (for example even if you fail to hit land drops, or thalia is on the field ...etc.)
- 2x Damping Sphere - decent against storm, tron, izzet blitz, and the now OMNIPRESENT boros blitz.
In your maindeck you can do much better.
Viscera Seer is very underwhelming if you only have bloodghast to go with it - i would repkace them with 1x more fatal push, 1x targeted discard & 1x Vampire of the Dire Moon / Vampire Cutthroat / Shadow Alley Denizen (latter gives evasion).
And for now maindeckable lifegain is king, so contemplate running a number of Feast of Blood or Collective Brutality (i recommend the former, as its harder to partially fizzle with prowess & less punishing when countered)
And since you run fetches, i woul advise getting 1-2 Witch's Cottage for more recursion.
3 weeks ago
Castle Locthwain is good for card draw.
What additions are you looking for? Different creatures? More card draw? More removal?
1 month ago
It feels kind of unfocused still. idk if Anowon or Nirkana Revenant are the best Sorin -3 targets. If you want big vamps in monoblack to drop via Sorin, Champion of Dusk , Malakir Bloodwitch , Bloodlord of Vaasgoth and Chancellor of the Dross are probably better choices, and the really good vamps should be 4-ofs. At least up Ebon to 4. That card is seriously good. Also in place of Yahenni I'd add 2 Captivating Vampire , and add one Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx if you're going the monocolor route.
Neat trick you can pull off completely free is using Urborg to sit on your fetch lands and tap them for mana until you need to force a shuffle for Nocturnus or to revive Bloodghast.
Agadeem's Awakening is fine. I think it's a good card that can be a land in an emergency. I run 1 in my Pioneer vamps.
1 month ago
Good for Monocolor:
Excuse me, you dropped this:
1 month ago
Given that you have 38 lands, I and given that Szat can draw you cards, I would recommend slotting Szat in place of Castle Locthwain .
- You keep the number of cards with repeatable draw where you have it.
- One land will not make a difference.
- It saves you 3 Mana each turn.
- It is better as you draw two cards and do not lose life.
- You add in another sneaky sneaky.
Hope that helps!
1 month ago
You might like these: Slimefoot, the Stowaway , Castle Locthwain , Market Festival (gets Beledros out faster and benefits from his ability), Dawn's Reflection , Overgrowth , Castle Locthwain , Bonders' Enclave , Arch of Orazca , Pitiless Plunderer , Black Market , Hour of Promise , Skullclamp