Pontiff of Blight
Creature — Zombie Cleric
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay . If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
Other creatures you control have extort. (If a creature has multiple instances of extort, each triggers separately.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Pontiff of Blight Discussion
3 months ago
Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose can get some life out of the stolen creatures. Whip of Erebos does it better. Dread Presence is great for lifegain, with a draw option, too. Exquisite Blood can get you life if you’ve got the money for it. Blood Artist could work if people are sacrifice lots of stuff because of you. Pontiff of Blight and Exsanguinate work well with lots of mana.
7 months ago
8 months ago
KibaAlpha I would say Bitter Ordeal is a possible wincon when you are able to go infinite, and when not it can disrupt against opponents you know are mainly combo orientated. I would not consider it interaction like I would removal on the board like Wrath of God or Despark.
The way you'd go infinite would most likely be through Bolas's Citadel, at which point I would argue that Aetherflux Reservoir serves the same wincon but is a lot more flexible/valuable throughout the game.
I feel like you have a few too many cards dedicated to card draw/card advantage.
Erebos, Bleak-Hearted, Erebos, God of the Dead, Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, Dark Prophecy, Greed, Liliana, Dreadhorde General, Skullclamp - and adding card advantage cards; Phyrexian Reclamation, Bolas's Citadel, Athreos, God of Passage.
I would probably cut some of the less efficient / most mana hungry, like Erebos, God of the Dead and Arguel's Blood Fast Flip. You have a lot of sources giving you card draw, but if you spend your mana on getting cards, you cannot cast those cards you draw. If you still feel too light on card draw, I would rather suggest one-tricks like Night's Whisper or Ambition's Cost.
I like being practical, so this bit is a bit tongue in cheek. Commander is about the big splashy stuff, so I get the motivation behind these but...
Black Market feels a bit like a greedy fantasy, without much intention. You hope to drop it down, sac some creatures and cash in on the mana next round, but there's no X spell finishers or particularly demanding costs. It would seem most likely that this mana will be used to cast a few spells in hand, pay Commander tax, or sink into Greed-esque cards. It feels like it doesn't support much in your game plan. The same could be said of Cabal Coffers. It's there to fill a fantasy, but one that is unlikely to see reality.
Reading through your deck's comment history it seems like you've walked back and forth from using infinite combos. It also makes more sense to me why you have so many Doomed Traveler-esque cards instead of token generators and death synergy cards.
If you want a more casual structure, I would say Pontiff of Blight is a good way to sink mana into, and it turns even the smallest and crappiest creature spell into a meaty drain chunk with the Extort of a few creatures on board.
9 months ago
Wouldn't this deck be illegal? Pontiff of Blight has a hybrid mana cost of W/B in it's rules text, giving it a color identity outside of Vito's own color identity. Or am I missing something? Thanks!
9 months ago
A few suggestions:
- Erebos, God of the Dead for an additional Greed effect, plus life gain denial.
- Marauding Blight-Priest for a cheaper (or additional) Epicure of Blood effect.
- Sensei's Divining Top to complete the combo with Aetherflux Reservoir and Bolas's Citadel.
- Necropotence for insane card advantage.
- Deadly Rollick for handling indestructible creatures.
- Command the Dreadhorde for a cheaper Rise of the Dark Realms effect (plus planeswalkers!), since you can more easily offset the life loss.
- Black Market to capitalize on the creatures dying either to your aristocrat effects or simply the board wipes we experience in our play group.
- Deadly Tempest for a boardwipe whose downside is mitigated by your life gain. Obviously, things like Damnation are better, but it might be worth a slot to punish go-wide strategies.
- Defiant Bloodlord is an option for an additional Sanguine Bond effect, but I don't really recommend this one as the CMC is far too high especially considering you have the effect in the command zone.
- Pontiff of Blight can be wild if you have the mana and creature presence to abuse it.
- Vilis, Broker of Blood can be a back-breaking top end. Trading life for cards at a 1:1 ratio is wild, especially when attached to an 8/8 body with evasion. It also has the bonus ability of being able to get rid of indestructible creatures while garnering you card advantage.
9 months ago
Hey, here's my less than $200 version of Krrik, Devotion to Yawgmoth (Budget).
My advice on a budget is load up on black tutors that can get Bolas's Citadel, Aetherflux Reservoir and Pontiff of Blight. Even four/five mana tutors are good since with Krrik they're only two/three mana and 4 life or only all life.
- Scheming Symmetry
- Diabolic Tutor
- Mastermind's Acquisition
- Dark Petition: tutor for Citadel and with Krrik in your control as well as spell mastery cast Citadel for 6 life.
- Beseech the Queen
Necropotence is a much better expensive price card than Exquisite Blood. Necro combos with Citadel + Aetherflux and this combo is excellent with Krrik. With Krrik Pontiff of Blight's extort does what Exquisite + Bond combo does and Pontiff is easier to assemble as well as budget.
Getting Krrik onto the battlefield with four mana is pretty important and more colorless mana sources can help especially two drop mana rocks.
Good luck with your deck.
11 months ago
Maybe a Harbinger of Night to help balance out the +1/+1's from Mikaeus.