Whenever an opponent discards a card, that player loses 2 life.
|Want (2)||JakeDsnake , zandercp11|
Printings View all
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Liliana's Caress Discussion
1 month ago
Nice deck. I think 8Rack is a really fun deck to play too. You may want to take out Sedraxis Specter and put in Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger or Lightning Skelemental. Or have Nether Spirit as a one of. Defile can be good removal. Shrieking Affliction can be a good second copy of The Rack. It can also be helpful to take out Wishful Thinking. You could add Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage as a replacement for Liliana's Caress. A bit more general discard good be helpful too. Sorry if this is a lot. Hope it is helpful, have a good day. Also, add Mountains. Dead of Winter can work well as a board clear.
1 month ago
- Nekusar, the Mindrazer hes a great commander if you wanted to change format for this deck style is really funny.
- The biggest issue with the deck is running Reliquary Tower and Underworld Dreams in the same deck you really need both effects, but the mana base is very hard to get by with.
- When deciding between these two decks ill say one is more comboy which means itll feel the same each game basically this one is mostly synergy so it'll feel different playing it each time.
- Forced Fruition is 6 mana. Youll probably hit your land drops on time due to card draw but thats still 6 turns (5 at the soonest).
- Fast lands like Sulfur Falls are great but you wanna run 3 max. They dont work well together. If your opener is just a 2-1 split of your fast lands your gonna be behind. (Shocklands are worth it).
- Consider the following: Teferi's Ageless Insight, Ominous Seas, Blasphemous Act, Fate Unraveler, Molten Psyche, Spiteful Visions, Whispering Madness + unblockable creature, Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted, Dictate of Kruphix, Megrim, Dark Deal, Waste Not, (Magus of the Wheel is sadly not legal :( ), Psychosis Crawler, Howling Mine, Liliana's Caress, Temple Bell, Incendiary Command, Prosperity, Dragon Mage, Fell Specter, Kess, Dissident Mage, Sangromancer, Magus of the Jar, Laboratory Maniac, Thassa's Oracle, Nadir Kraken, Consecrated Sphinx, Baleful Strix, Sire Of Insanity, Reverberate, Wheel of Fate, Echo of Eons, Burning Inquiry, Scheming Symmetry, Font of Mythos, Otherworld Atlas, Spellbook, Crawlspace or Ensnaring Bridge, Jace Beleren, Ashiok, Dream Render, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Narset, Parter of Veils, Geier Reach Sanitarium.
- I hope thats helpful. There's a lot of similar affects so theres a lot of routes to go.
2 months ago
I often find with discard decks that it is really hard to close out a game, even with Hypnotic Specters and the like. I would recommend taking the Abyssal Nocturnus out of the sideboard and into the main and adding a 3-4 Liliana's Caress.
3 months ago
Thanks, I was thinking of a couple of changes that could be done. One is going full creature less. The Smallpox combo would be less effective but easier to play. Setting the board with both Liliana's Caress and Geralf's Messenger can take quite a lot of time.
The other was to change Vicious Rumors for Raven's Crime. Even if the first trigger Drill Bit, most of the cards in the deck already do it. On the other hand, Raven's Crime can be another card that we can replay from graveyard to give the deck more options as we go on in the game.
Trying the deck I noticed that if you are not able to end the game, at a certain point you will run out of gas and you will not be able to finish the opponent, so more cards that we can play more than once are good imo.
3 months ago
I agree with zAzen7977. To take more time, the deck should be more focused on discarding and removal imo. And black can do that while also dealing damages.
I made a similar list featuring those combos if you want to take a look at my idea of the deck. Maybe it could help.
3 months ago
FunnyDuck Thanks much for the suggestions and the upvote! If I'm reading it right, you suggest the deck should shore up in these areas:
1) GY control, either through reanimation or exile.
2) Commander control, through sac effects.
3) Additional ramp.
Plus the recommendation of Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip, which I appreciate because she was my favorite card of Origins. I spent so much money on drafts trying to pull her, and I was so mad I just kept getting the (then $7) Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip...
ANYWAY. Lots of good points. I will say it's tough with an "engine" deck like this one to add additional utility without sacrificing consistency. It's just SO BAD if you have out the Megrim effects and then stop drawing gas. As much as possible I'm trying to make the utility and win-con effects overlap with other synergies, like Madness, or else stick it in the land slot, like Bojuka Bog.
For category 1), I definitely like Scavenger Grounds, and maybe: Elspeth's Nightmare, Phyrexian Scriptures, Nezumi Graverobber, Shred Memory (which can tutor for either a Your-Turn Discard or a Liliana's Caress) or Erebos's Intervention?
For 2), I'm not convinced that the deck can't run without Tinybones, since there are other ways to break parity in both the discard selection and in the extra Draw Engines. Tinybones is also really easy to recast through Commander Tax, so the real problem is being stolen. I'm thinking maybe just running a Homeward Path and Phyrexian Tower and maybe Endless Sands, which also works with Scavenger Grounds. If I'm running these colorless/non-Swamp lands I should probably throw in Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
I would really love to run that Liliana, but without adding more sacrifice effects, I don't think I can pull it off. That's definitely one way to build the deck, though.
Thanks again! I'll make some changes now and what I don't make room for now, I'll add to a recommendations section on card selections if you're facing GY decks, steal decks, etc.
3 months ago
There's a flip liliana in the form of Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip which flips into a planeswalker which can get value with her -X. Reanimating zombies from the graveyard to add onto the zombie tribal sub-theme. I'd play Ayara, First of Locthwain in the 99 to add more synergy with the deck with her Sacrifice theme. you could also add a discard sub-theme with cards like Geth's Grimoire and Liliana's Caress al0ong with the Snuff Out from one of the duel decks. everything has a image of liliana for the exception of Geth's Grimoire.
4 months ago
berryjon You only dedicated a paragraph to Liliana's Caress and Megrim, but (despite being an artifact) was The Rack not worth mentioning here? Nor the fact that there is an entire modern and (if I'm not mistaken) legacy deck dedicated to this ability that black has? These decks take advantage of not only taking apart someone's hand, but punishing them further due to Shrieking Affliction and The Rack. Plus, we got a planeswalker that does all of this in one with Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage. Also, cards like Raven's Crime that can be allowed to cast multiple times but is still one mana. I'm curious as to your reasoning for leaving these out despite being huge impacts in competitive magic.