Artifact Creature — Dragon
: Steel Hellkite gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost X whose controller was dealt combat damage by Steel Hellkite this turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , DarkMagician|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Steel Hellkite occurrence in decks from the last year
Steel Hellkite Discussion
1 day ago
carpecanum Not into the theft theme, personally but I'll add them to the maybeboard for anyone else who might be interested!
Brutal_B I think I have a Mirage Mirror around somewhere. Might replace Mirrormade with it. Would Master Transmuter take the place of Arcum Dagsson , as they both have similar abilities (getting rid of one artifact and replacing it with another)? Wurmcoil Engine is a good idea as I was looking to maybe replace Thopter Assembly as they have the same CMC. I was thinking of replacing it with Steel Hellkite , though (same CMC again). What would be a good card to cut for the Wurm?
Copying Powerstone Shard sounds hilarious by the way. lol
2 days ago
I'm personally a big fan of Steel Hellkite . Solid removal in EDH. Sure you run into it dying to removal or being countered or whatever, but honestly the threat of removal is real for all permanents. I don't play a game with the mindset of fear; I play the game to have fun. And besides, not every single opponent runs plenty of removal, and not every single opponent immediately has said removal at their disposal.
Argentum Armor is super based, if you can get it out. Works wonders in ramp decks.
Caged Sun is great for ramp, especially in mono-white.
Contagion Engine , but it requires a lot of setup to get true value out of.
Eternity Vessel is super based in mono-white. Run the full gambit of fetch lands and crack them when you're life total is too low. Use in response to it's inevitable removal for some last-second value.
God-Pharaoh's Statue will shut down combo and tempo players in their tracks.
Gonti's Aether Heart can land you infinite turns if you set it up right. You need to Ensoul it, then you want to clone it. You can use Spork Double (misspelled on purpose lol), Sakashima of a Thousand Faces , Mirror Gallery , Sakashima the Impostor or some other spells to do so. Once you're online, do something such as Followed Footsteps , Progenitor Mimic , Rite of Replication . If you're using Progenitor Mimic , you're already in green. So use token-doubling effects such as Doubling Season . You can even bypass all of this for Mechanized Production and Mirror Gallery . Regardless, once you're online you'll be able to exile one and take an extra turn, make another at the beginning of your upkeep and kick off another one. Boom, infinite extra turns. But again, lots of setup.
But I think, of everything, my pick is Mindslaver .
Hold up the mana and use it as the nuclear option. Nobody wants to mess with the man (or woman) who has their finger on the detonator.
5 days ago
Hey, well done on your first real deck. On less than $50 budget you have good card sense :)
Because of low budget all my card suggestions will be $1 or less each.
- Command Tower : staple land of multicolored Commander decks.
- Magus of the Candelabra : can untap X lands.
- Steel Hellkite : can wreck your opponents one at a time with X ability.
- Fierce Empath : to tutor for Flameblast or Hellkite or Wort.
- Hungering Hydra : X creature upgrade.
- Vastwood Hydra : X creature upgrade.
- Mina and Denn, Wildborn : good Gruul creature able to play an additional land per turn and bounce a land to give a creature trample.
- Wild Growth , Fertile Ground , Overgrowth : can take advantage of these land auras for ramp with Magus + Rosheen.
- Mosswort Bridge : interaction with Wildborn to bounce it back to you hand to play it again to hideaway again.
- Cinder Glade
- Gruul Turf
- Temple of Abandon
Cards to consider cutting:
- 4x Mountain
- 2x Forest
- Ivy Elemental
- Veteran Explorer
- Llanowar Visionary
- Gelatinous Genesis
- Dictate of Karametra
- Keeper of Progenitus
- Boundless Realms
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
I've played a few rounds with the initial deck list and feel like it may need some of the following updates. In the initial state, it seems to need to wait too long to get going, due to the ramp being a bit slow and the need to hold up mana for countering. There's a lot of bouncing and control stuff in here, but the single-target bouncing just feels insufficient, as the opponent too often seems to be able to re-cast things more quickly than I can find the token generators and counters I need to get my Jalira engine running.
- More sweepers
- Fewer spot removals (keep only the most versatile)
- More focus on creature stealing.
- More counterspells (focus on the most versatile, and avoid conditional ones)
The mix of impactful non-legendary creatures may need adjusting too. The annihilator creatures do good work, but I may want to swap Arbiter of the Ideal out for Steel Hellkite , for example. I feel like the number of big critters for Jalira to bring out is probably sufficient, though I could see going up by one or two, if necessary.
3 weeks ago
Hey, well done on a budget. Nice Ugin :)
Some upgrades to consider:
- Arcane Signet --> Armillary Sphere
- Dragon's Hoard --> Darksteel Ingot
- Court of Bounty --> Crucible of Fire
- Utvara Hellkite --> Dragonlord Atarka
- Dragonlord Ojutai --> Boltwing Marauder
- Lathliss, Dragon Queen --> Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
- Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund --> Tyrant's Familiar
- Steel Hellkite --> Crosis, the Purger
- Dragonmaster Outcast --> Boneyard Scourge
- Haunting Voyage --> Fearsome Awakening
- Chaos Warp --> Mortify
- Negate --> Trap Essence
- Exotic Orchard --> Vivid Crag
- Unclaimed Territory --> Vivid Grove
- Cinder Glade --> Temple of Epiphany
- Yavimaya Coast --> Temple of Mystery
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
some other dragons you might consider:
Nesting Dragon - Pricey, but gives decent return for otherwise dead draws late game
Steel Hellkite - colorless enchantment removal. often overlooked
Territorial Hellkite - 6/5 flying haste for 4. aim is a bit wonky, but still a solid card for its cost
fun deck, keep us posted with how it does!