Threshold — Gain instead if seven or more cards are in your graveyard.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Cabal Ritual occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Cabal Ritual Discussion
3 weeks ago
Also your CMC is too high. Try to cut it back as low as humanly possible.
I realize these are expensive suggestions, but I’m basing my analysis purely on effectiveness and not price. There are some budget alternatives to the more expensive cards, but the deck won’t be quite as effective.
If you want to go a discard path instead, Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger is a good commander instead.
Hope this helps! :)
2 months ago
Liliana's Standard Bearer seems way too good to cut IMO
Here are my opinions of the remaining possible cuts (assuming Lili standard bearer stays) from most likely to cut to least likely....
Reaper from the Abyss - Seems unnecessary but probably wont be cut for fun reasons
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon - Additional answer, potential wincon (with profilerate) and value engine, but costs a lot of mana and affects your own board. Idk how it's played for you, but cutting more expensive cards for cheaper ones seems right up your alley
2 months ago
I've been toying around with the idea of some Artifact/Enchantment hate in case I run into one of those shutdown cards, but in practice this deck tends to speed together so fast that often things like that aren't a consideration (I admit an early Grafdigger could pose an issue, but that's also literally the only card of its type for the mana cost too, this could be a playgroup vs online type thing & it's possible other groups would see more benefit from something like this.)
The Dark Ritual line, I only have Culling the Weak in there because it can help towards my win condition of getting Annihilators out of the graveyard. The only "Graveyard-to-play" spell available for the mana of Dark Ritual is Exhume. If I want other options, I need at least 4 mana so that little bit doesn't really help me out as much as you'd think. Cabal Ritual could be okay, but along the same lines of trying for early wins; it doesn't provide enough mana at the time I'd be using it. Also, The primary focus of this deck has to be its win condition combos in order to function, so I'd be pretty hard-pressed at deciding which cards to cut out as all of them in here have a pretty defined purpose.
As for the Titan, I'm not a fan in this build since I already run on pretty low mana as it is and destroying my own lands isnt something I'm keen on. Especially not when Annihilator can eat opponent's lands at no cost to my own. I've found Annihilator creatures to be the most reliable win condition card to pull early from a graveyard; I've seen dozens of other speed dredge builds using other creatures, but they're usually something like an early Iona, Shield of Emeria which while nice, isn't 100% consistent against all deck types, and also these other decks tend to be quite expensive due to running various high-dollar power creatures.
One thing I like about my build is how inexpensive the selections are, which opens it up to a wider audience. I'd say the Titan definitely fits the Budget part, but as for functionality I'm not sold - though if you attempt this and it works out for you I'd be interested to hear about another spin on my build!
The other artifacts you suggested are far too high a mana cost to be any use in this build. You really don't want to be spending Culling the Weak mana on anything except pulling Annihilators from the Graveyard for optimal game play.
2 months ago
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing deck Apollo_Paladin! You've convinced me to buy into Legacy so that I can play with one of my friends who is also building a deck. I love the budget focus and the fun interactions I've seen playtesting a few hands.
I haven't played it yet, so what I'm about to ask is just based on my speculation. Would love to hear your thoughts though!
To that end, I was wondering specifically if you have considered Nevinyrral's Disk or Spine of Ish Sah or Scour from Existence or similar cards to respond to Grafdigger's Cage and Leyline of the Void. Would any of those cards or others be worth bringing in from the sideboard in the event of running into graveyard hate? Alternatively, perhaps Duress could provide some protection?
Thanks so much for the informative guide and your hard work on the deck! I can't wait until it comes.
3 months ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
3 months ago
I would recommend making the deck a little less reliant on the commander. She is seven mana, so her surviving with a specific board state for her to kill seems relatively unlikely. Given the amount of recursion, you could try a graveyard or reanimator subtheme to go along with one-shot kills.
3 months ago
EleshNornsFs Chances are, I'd try to abuse a manabase capable of supporting Tainted Pact, so you can run that and Demonic Consultation to make it easier to abuse the opposing Thassa's Oracle's you'll try to use. I assume cards that are instant speed removal would be useful, Disfigure, Dismember, Deadly Rollick, Fatal Push, Ulcerate, etc. to deal with opposing Drannith Magistrates and Opposition Agents. Dark Confidant, Necropotence, Ad Nauseam, and Bolas's Citadel can get you card advantage w/o drawing cards, and rituals like Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual help get you the pieces together faster after a big draw turn. Remember with Opposition Agent, Instant Speed Removal, and instant speed rituals Necropotenceing for a lot could let you sort of storm off some decent number of cards on your endstep, not winning, but getting close to the lock.
4 months ago
Hey there! As asked for on my page, I will most certainly do my best to give you as many suggestions as I can, though aristocrats is, again, not exactly my area of expertise. I hope this helps, and before I continue, I wish you the best of luck on your deck.
Let's start off with the lands/ramp. The lands seem pretty great choices for a budget deck, couldn't really have done it better myself, but there are a couple cards you may want to consider that you might have missed. Brightclimb Pathway Flip is probably one of the biggest ones, and it is only around 2-3 bucks. It's very valuable to have a choice like that in the game, and neither would come in tapped which is super good. Salt Flats is also a great card, and while it comes in tapped, you can always rely on it for a good source of colored mana, or simply use the colorless part of its ability. It is also less than 50 cents, making it a great include for a budget deck. Blighted Fen might also contribute to the theme, but is absolutely unnecessary unless you like its ability. Now, we get into a whole set of cards that could be interesting to think about, though whether you think you should include them or not are entirely up to you. Teysa is all about sacrificing and having sac outlets, so what if you had lands that had the option to act as creatures? This would let you tap for mana, and have the option to sac a creature if you needed it! Here are some of the better ones you may want to consider:
- Shambling Vent
- Foundry of the Consuls
- Blinkmoth Nexus
- Dread Statuary
- Frostwalk Bastion
- Mishra's Factory
- Cradle of the Accursed
Now you may not like most of those, but possibly even just having one or two of the better ones like Blinkmoth and Mishra might be pretty beneficial, as it's always good to have things to sac in the worst-case scenario. In addition to that, all of the cards above are less than a dollar if not a small bit more, meaning they could most likely work price wise. To wrap up all the land part, Crystal Vein is also something good to consider, giving you a turn extra in mana at the price of the land, as well as Field of Ruin, which is just a overall not bad card in general for harming your opponents.
Now, what about ramp? While your ramp looks pretty good, here are a couple sweet ones you may have missed: Dark Ritual!!! This guy is amazing, for one mana you can pretty much cast teysa turn 2 with another land out, or it can just give you a huge leg up in general! Certaintly worth considering. Talisman of Hierarchy is also a super cheap great card I would definitely recommend for the deck, and it will surely benefit you more than the Prismatic Lens, though having both is simply better. Commander's Sphere obviously isn't as good as arcane signet, but it is still pretty great due to the draw ability and is also definitely worth considering. Cabal Ritual is also great with teysa since you'll be sacrificing a lot. To top that all off, Knight of the White Orchid and Gift of Estates are pretty good and definitely worth looking into.
Altogether, for your mana base, there isn't anything too dire, it all looks pretty good, though there are certainly a few budget cards I mentioned there you should definitely consider. I'm now going to give some recommendations on some all-around good cards to include, and save the specifically aristocrats stuff for last. Swords to Plowshares is pretty cheap and yet an amazing staple in all decks, I would definitely consider that, especially since in your case you can play it on one of your own things to get extra triggers, while also gaining the life. Generous Gift is also an amazing removal card that I have in my best deck and it's pretty good too! Same as for swords, you even have the option to play it on yourself and get the elephant token that you can sacrifice again! Fumigate and Cleansing Nova are pretty cheap but good board wipes that I would definitely try including too, to top of all the removal. In black, Read the Bones, Sign in Blood, and Night's Whisper are pretty good for draw that you may want to think about.
Now sorry if this is a bit rushed, I am short on time, but you may want to think about some of the following cards, with graveyard recursion, tutors to graveyards, and good sac cards!
- Buried Alive
- Fleshbag Marauder
- Pitiless Plunderer
- Dictate of Erebos (not budget, but would be worth it)
- Village Rites
- Cruel Celebrant
Now before I end this, I would consider checking out EDHREC, where you can find so many suggestions for teysa based on what other people have (link to teysa on edhrec here and also checking out the combo section, as you may find many combo-y cards that could work in the deck! Anyways, sorry this was a bit rushed, I hope it is of use to you, and have a wonderful day! Happy tapping!