Combos Browse all Suggest
- Teferi, Temporal Archmage + The Chain Veil + Thran Dynamo
- Brago, King Eternal + Strionic Resonator + Thran Dynamo
- Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter + Thran Dynamo
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
3 weeks ago
Hey dude! Good Commander choice, Kaalia of the Vast has been my main option for years now.
I'll try to keep this brief lol.
The most important thing to remember when brewing this one is to not get distracted by the possibilities of all those Angels, Demons & Dragons. Focus on card quality above all else, the Spells that are going to win you the game.
Razaketh, the Foulblooded & Vilis, Broker of Blood are the top dogs here, their power as individual cards will oftentimes win you game from sheer value. Other pieces like Rune-Scarred Demon, Burning-Rune Demon & Hoarding Broodlord will do the same if you build around them with Spells like Ephemerate & Saw in Half.
I'd also recommend more Treasure tokens! I see you're already running Smothering Tithe & Goldspan Dragon, which is a great start. Adding Ancient Copper Dragon, Cavern-Hoard Dragon, Monologue Tax, Lotho, Corrupt Shirriff & of course Dockside Extortionist will make sure that your deck doesn't necessarily need it's Commander on the field to function. There are also a few lines via Dockside Extortionist & Razaketh, the Foulblooded that deal infinite damage, produce infinite Mana and yield infinite Tutors, which we can get into later if you decide to go that route.
Wrapping up on Mana, I'd also recommend more Rituals and Rocks. Dark Ritual, Burnt Offering & Seething Song are great, as are Talisman of Hierarchy, Talisman of Conviction & Talisman of Indulgence. A Thran Dynamo could be good too. Oh man, Hellkite Tyrant can steal your opponents Rocks, which counts as Ramp I guess?
Anyway, moving on to card draw! Kaalia of the Vast runs through a lot of cards if you build her right, and keeping your hand full is a priority. Necropotence, Black Market Connections, Dark Tutelage, & Dark Confidant are great ways to turn your Life total into more gas. Esper Sentinel & Archivist of Oghma scale with your opponent's activity. None of them will do as much heavy lifting as Vilis, Broker of Blood, but that's honestly asking a lot of any card other than Ad Nauseam.
Onto the deck engine! I see you're running a few things to double down on your Commander's effect, like Aggravated Assault, Blade of Selves & Isshin, Two Heavens as One. While this strategy seems like a great idea on paper, it's actually not as efficient for the deck as it seems. Running a Reanimator strategy to ensure that the deck can continue to cheat creatures out without having to rely on it's Commander to do so is a far more powerful & consistent strategy. Spells like Entomb, Reanimate, Final Parting, Buried Alive, Victimize, Animate Dead, & Karmic Guide will pull a lot of weight in this context.
I could talk about Kaalia of the Vast all day, but I'll stop here. Let me know how you feel about these suggestions.
Also, here's my own list if you want to check it out: ANCIENT DRAGON TEMPEST (KAALIA)
3 weeks ago
Oh, Manifold Key doesn't untap it's self, not a combo piece...
Hm, interesting point about the Twig and Amulet... Yeah, I guess it is mostly for the getting an artifact in the graveyard... They do act very similar to just a land, but they have that potential to count for . They're kind of like artifact versions of Blasted Landscape. I think Burnished Hart and Kuldotha Forgemaster are the only other cards included that put artifacts in the graveyard? I don't really want to rely on my artifacts getting destroyed by someone else to get that cost reduction...
Codex Shredder is also on my short list of cards to include. I'm always surprised at how useful this card is. It can mill an opponent's Vampiric Tutor or Sensei's Divining Top away, and can also help fill my graveyard with card types, although it's hit or miss with that, it usually flips a land or artifact, and worst case a cool creature... I think I don't actually have any cards that can get something back from the graveyard right now...
I have considered Karn, the Great Creator, especially because it can be a Planeswalker in the graveyard, but I ultimately don't really want my Planeswalkers in the graveyard though... The +1 ability works with Voltaic Construct to make infinite mana with Basalt Monolith, Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Thran Dynamo, and potentially Everflowing Chalice, just like Karn, Silver Golem, which I think is p cool. The -2 is kind of technically useless in EDH, as tournament rules actually say you can get a card out of your sideboard, not actually any card you own, and in EDH you don't have a sideboard... Casually, sure, if your playgroup is into getting any card that's cool, Ring of Ma'ruf also does this, but I guess I've just opted not to use that ability... The Null Rod effect is obviously very powerful, but yeah, I guess at least in my meta, I'm not as concerned with other people's artifacts, and ultimately I want to be more fast and aggro, rather than defensive and like staxy with the deck. There's a lot of removal in the deck, to me a surprising amount for colorless, and I guess I can rely on that to get rid of a problem artifact, or whatever someone ramps into if need be. So yeah, I guess despite the Null Rod effect and the Voltaic Construct synergy, it still just seems a little clunky, or something? I also play with way more mana rocks in most of my decks then most people in my meta. If more of my opponents played more mana rocks, that would make it much more relevant, but until they catch on, I guess I think it's just not quite there for me...
I might rather put Karn, Silver Golem in, because it's a good blocker, and can turn multiple of my expensive artifacts into an alpha strike...
Karn, Silver Golem was my first commander for this deck way back in the day, and Voltaic Construct was a key part of the deck. It also included Mycosynth Lattice, to destroy opponent's lands, and Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk. These cards were really fun to play, and basically a hard lock when they were together, but without Karn, Silver Golem as the commander, I've steered away from that style I guess because it was just so expensive to pull off, and requires multiple high mana-value cards. I think the combos I have in now are cheaper and have more general synergy with other cards, and at this point, just ramping into Emrakrul as fast as possible is pretty devastating. In my heart though, I still want to include them...
4 weeks ago
Two drops Everflowing Chalice Coldsteel Heart Fellwar Stone Prismatic Lens Obsidian Obelisk Ebony Fly Fractured Powerstone Guardian Idol Liquimetal Torque Mind Stone Planar Atlas Thought Vessel The Irencrag
1 month ago
Good lord, the Commander Masters precons look even more abysmal when compared to these Eldraine precons. These precons are straight fire and have the same-if-not-better quality, yet are still reasonably costed.
I hadn't thought about this until Saffron Olive talked about it on the mtggoldfish podcast, but The Irencrag is the first 2 cmc mana rock printed into Standard in over a decade. Interesting to see how it fares.
Does 'Quick Study' not just become an auto include in most blue commander decks? Divination doesn't see much play but adding instant speed makes it much more powerful.
Coward_Token, my guess is they were trying to be very careful with Throne of Eldraine. What you suggested would be a significantly powercrept Thran Dynamo or Gilded Lotus. I feel like they were conscientious of that exact problem when designing it. This card honestly strikes me as a Chromatic Orrery-light for mono-colored decks.
1 month ago
Great build! Dinosaurs are such a fun experience for newcomers.
Some points you might want to consider regarding your ramp package:
1: Ramping with creatures or artifacts is riskier than with lands (boardwipes usually leave lands alone). Also, has many mana doublers that benefit from land ramp:
- Thran Dynamo -> Mirari's Wake (also pump your creatures)
- Gilded Lotus -> Mana Reflection (it makes Castle Garenbrig generate 12x)
3: Then you might want to increase your land count. 33 is too few for Temple of the False God to realiably function.
I recommend swapping out your mana dorks for lands that ramp you (you can never have too much mana with kill-on-sight Gishath, Sun's Avatar):
- Kinjalli's Caller -> Myriad Landscape
- Drover of the Mighty -> Krosan Verge
- Atzocan Seer -> Blighted Woodland
4: Some card draw:
- Commander's Sphere -> Fellwar Stone
- Knight of the Stampede -> Return of the Wildspeaker
- Huatli, Warrior Poet -> Garruk, Primal Hunter
- Atla Palani, Nest Tender (only good when the deck revolves around her) -> Rishkar's Expertise
5: Better combat tricks
6: Broader utility
I'd suggest removing Reliquary Tower. If you have more than seven cards in hand as Gishath, you're already winning hard. In its place, consider one or more of the following:
2 months ago
2 months ago
Unfortunately, to up the power level, some of the things I will recommend might be pricey (cost-wise), but I'm already seeing some places to improve.
- Entomb and Buried Alive are good options to get your things into your graveyard that you can later reanimate with Scarab God. Alternately, Filth and Wonder are good things to put into the grave that give you added bonuses. (If you go the Filth route, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is super-valuable.)
- For mana rocks, Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, and Chromatic Lantern are all very handy and budget-friendly. If you have them, of course there's also Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, and Chrome Mox, but don't just get them for this deck. (I happen to have opened them, so they move around between decks a lot.)
- The ultimate zombie enabler, to me, is Field of the Dead. You would need to likely swap some basics for snow-covered basics to make it work more, but the condition (7 lands with different names) is incredibly easy to meet. You can also go the route of some fetching (Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds, Fabled Passage, Polluted Delta, Prismatic Vista...). Watery Grave is also highly advised, along with Contaminated Aquifer, Ice Tunnel, Underground River, and Drowned Catacomb. Port of Karfell might also be worth considering.
- The best mill payoff from your opponents is Rise of the Dark Realms. Alternately, Reanimate, Animate Dead, and Extract from Darkness are great for bonus reanimation. Junji, the Midnight Sky is another possible option. Desertion and Aethersnatch are also good to take your opponents' things before they knew what hit them.
- More tutoring. Expedition Map will help for lands; Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, and Diabolic Intent are good in general; Lim-Dul's Vault is, I find, underappreciated and very handy. Fact or Fiction is also handy to get through your deck and get fun things into the graveyard (or make your opponents wonder what's happening).
- The Meathook Massacre, Damnation, and Cyclonic Rift are extremely handy for removal. The first is also a bonus payoff if your zombies die in the process! Yawgmoth, Thran Physician is also super-useful when it comes to removal, turning your zombies into both extra cards and weakening your opponents' creatures.
- High-cost things: Force of Will, Force of Negation, Mana Drain, and Commandeer are useful for control and making sure things don't stick and Memory Jar for filling up graveyards.
5 months ago
Forgot to say what to take out for the three cards above: Green Sun's Twilight, Hull Breach, Lukka, Bound to Ruin. The Twilight is unrealiable until you spend a lot of mana into it. The Breach is sorcery-speed. The planeswalker does not do much here.
Now some small upgrades you can make:
If you run fetchable lands (Ziatora's Proving Ground, Blood Crypt, Stomping Ground, Overgrown Tomb, Canyon Slough, Woodland Chasm, Sulfurous Mire, Highland Forest, Haunted Mire, Geothermal Bog, Wooded Ridgeline), consider running Three Visits, Farseek, Into the North and Skyshroud Claim instead of Sakura-Tribe Elder, Rampant Growth, Explosive Vegetation and Thran Dynamo.
Since you run Crux of Fate, it might be better not depend on non-dragon creature ramp: Courser of Kruphix, Shaman of Forgotten Ways and Solemn Simulacrum could instead be Scaled Nurturer, Fellwar Stone and Coalition Relic.
|Have (8)||zachi , JordanSanFran , metalmagic , , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , frankie63138 , Synnless , motioncity|
|Want (17)||Slasker , Tigrito , Lunar_Wing , ArtistaFeo , Barakana , gaunt45 , arnold335 , Amaterasu312 , Yahtzee55 , levy120 , manphist449 , mflint , Anabasis , deathlich64 , mwsharrock , XxSirKittehxX , beesaurs|