You have no maximum hand size.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each card in your hand.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Venser's Journal occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Venser's Journal Discussion
1 week ago
Cool deck. I've been interested in building Oloro and I like the direction you took it. I guess the creature spots are pretty tight since they all have to be big impact. Thoughts on Cosmos Elixir , Vault of Champions , Sea of Clouds , Morphic Pool , Angel of Destiny , Hullbreacher , Opposition Agent , Venser's Journal , Approach of the Second Sun , Soul's Attendant , Speaker of the Heavens , Drannith Magistrate ?
Elixir is just a phyrexian arena without the lifeloss with Oloro. Bond lands come into play untapped so thats nice. Angel of Destiny and Approach of the second sun are interesting backup wincons which might not be super necessary with the amount of wincons already in the deck. Hullbreacher and Opposition Agent are flash creatures that severely slow down our opponents ability to assemble their combos or wincons, while accelerating our plans even further. Vensers Journal is supercharging our lifegain and also works nicely with necropotences hand size. Speaker of the Heavens creates an army of angels by itself turn after turn to serve as good blockers until we get our combo pieces. Soul's Attendant is just another copy of soul warden, which is always solid. Drannith Magistrate locks out opponents from playing their commander, while we still get the benefit from our commander. The main thing is that its a threatening card and opponents will most likely remove it as soon as they can.
1 month ago
Great way to build her is to look for cards that say you have no maximum hand size.
Next, Spellbreaker Behemoth is great to make your spells uncounterable. He returns to your hand when he dies, so that's always a plus. There is also some mono-green creatures who don't help you much. However, there's Domri, Anarch of Bolas and Rhythm of the Wild which, while not creatures, do add another layer of protection as they are slightly harder to find removal for.
So you have no maximum hand size now, meaning when your creatures die you keep everything and don't discard down to size.
You have methods to prevent your creatures from being countered now. Awesome.
Now, pack your deck full of as many wraths as you can possibly find. Blow the boardstate up endlessly. Return all of your creatures to your hand and let everything else land in the graveyard.
5 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
5 months ago
I would totally throw in Profane Transfusion - fits to your swap-life idea and fits to K'rrik's Phyrexian origin.
Dark Ritual/Bubbling Muck/Culling the Weak - is just "free" temporary ramp thats adds really good amount of add to your mana pool. Worth a lot :D Similar as Blood Pet.
Priest of Gix - would cost you only and 2 life that adds upon entering the battlefield (fair reanimator ramping target aswell).
Cards like Ivory Tower and Venser's Journal to slow down the damage you take from spamming Necropotence.
Attrition - "Pay 2 life and sac a creature: destroy target non-black creature." is just absolute nuts, especially if you manage to generate some tokens (which I do in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck with Desecrated Tomb + Tortured Existence combo, together with Phyrexian Altar for infinite etb/die triggers).
Snuff Out - is just "free" destroy spell which a) drains your life -> b) draws 4 cards with Vilis, Broker of Blood.
Also swap Ur-Golem's Eye for Sol Ring and I would personally swap Thran Dynamo for some cheaper mana rock aswell.
5 months ago
5 months ago
Seems legit!!! Venser's Journal is the only suggestion I can think of at the moment.
6 months ago
Thanks for the advice, !! This deck is one of my new decks built almost entirely out of cards on-hand. I bought the Venser's Journal, Gilded Lotus, and kind of bought the Torment of Hailfire and Exsanguinate for it and had the rest of the good (and bad) cards already in my collection in need of a home. As such, plenty of the card choices are not ideal or optimized. In a sense, this is a budget deck not looking for big-time upgrades yet. I'm aware that Deathgreeter and Falkenrath Noble don't synergize with my deck at all but they are just incidental lifegain and as early-game blockers. Definitely filler for now. Deathgreeter might have enough utility (in my meta) for his cost to stick around until I get something great for lifegain, such as Twilight Prophet or Exquisite Blood etc. I was thinking about replacing the noble with Ivory Tower since it's old and janky and one of those "works almost nowhere except this commander" cards. I want to play more games and see how important lifegain ends up being to me. Some decks run a shitload and some run almost none.
I've played five games now and in the three games where I played Ambition's Cost and/or Ancient Craving they have worked out. Ideally they smooth out my mid-game and draw me into more lands, ramp, and answers/removal to get up to Vilis. So far they have done so. I also don't have a ton of free-life-payment cards like Doom Whisperer so they serve as passable refueling for Vilis. More games will surely give me insight but for now I like them.
So far the ramp has worked out all right but I had an eye to add more already. I have twelve pieces (13 if you count Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx... oh to have a Cabal Coffers too!! Just gotta wait for Commander Legends). I usually have 7-10 in my decks so this is still feels like a good, high amount. I used to have Bubbling Muck and Dark Ritual in the ~105-card prototype but they were late cuts, reducing my overall ramp-card count without replacement. Five games isn't a huge sample size, to be sure, so I'm gonna feel it out some more before I make swaps. I would definitely add Thought Vessel as an early upgrade. I was also thinking of swapping the Leaden Myr for a mana rock that doesn't die to all my wraths.
Thanks again for your comments!
7 months ago
Ok, makes sense, I've just found Ivory Tower to be less of a removal magnet in my playgroup while accomplishing most of what Venser's Journal does. Beatismcscoots I've been running AEther Barrier, Vile Consumption, Tainted AEther, and Lethal Vapors as more budget creature hate cards in my deck. lethal vapors vapors isn't the best but making people skip their turns is always funny to watch. Just some cards to think about.