You have no maximum hand size.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each card in your hand.
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 ,|
|Want (2)||oni_legends , Artazil|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Venser's Journal Discussion
2 weeks ago
I'm unsure if you have a budget or not, but I'd recommend cutting Privileged Position in favor of Greater Auramancy . The CMC is a lot cheaper and as such easier to play. I'd also advise running more permanent removal like Beast Within , Generous Gift , or even things like Afterlife and Path to Exile . I know you're running a life-gain subtheme, but I think either Library of Leng or Wheel of Sun and Moon would be a better fit than Venser's Journal due to the cheaper CMC. The way I view it is if you have cheaper enchantments, you can cast more per turn, in turn drawing more cards per turn. I'd also advise something like Lightning Greaves , as Sythis draws a huge target on herself for being able to easily draw 3+ cards a turn. I'd also advise Luminarch Ascension as it plays into your theme of angels.
If you're open to the idea of other win-cons, one I use in my Sythis deck is Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite or Linvala, Keeper of Silence and Nature's Revolt . Another win-con I've seen people use, albeit I don't use it myself, is Parallax Wave and Opalescence . Essentially, you abuse the stack with Wave, targeting four opponents creatures and then itself. It goes away, and comes back as a creature with five more counters. The original is still exiled, so all of your opponents creatures remain in exile.
If you wanna take a gander at my version of Sythis, you can find it here [EDH] Sythis Enchantress
1 month ago
"Waitstaff who've seen it all"...hilarious.
I think Venser's Journal fits the theme of "Reservations" more than "Cookbook".
2 months ago
This deck is really well built good job
You have several small fry that is good early in the game (ie. Simian spirt guide, Spellseeker , Trinket Mage ) but later in the game might not be so good. Have you considered adding Mystic Reflection so later in the game you can have several Consecrated Sphinx and Jace's Archivist . That would be great because your tokens would also enter as copies of those creatures
BTW thanks for the upvote
2 months ago
You might like these: Tortured Existence , Syr Konrad, the Grim , Desecrated Tomb , Tormod, the Desecrator , Carnival of Souls , The Gitrog Monster , Skola Grovedancer , Turntimber Sower , Memorial to Folly , Phyrexian Reclamation , Blood Beckoning , Disentomb , Ghoulcaller's Chant , March of the Drowned , Ivory Tower , Venser's Journal
2 months ago
Hey Walrighti, +1!
Congrats on your first deck! You have a lot of fun cards in here and it looks great! I imagine you want to tune and make it even more efficient so here are some ideas...
Add 3 categories: #Combo, #Lifegain, and #Evasion; and then sort your maybeboard the same way you've done your mainboard to easily rank your choices within a category (By "combo" I mean all your "if-then" cards like Trudge Garden that are slower and don't work by themselves). Remove #Creatures (most of them are #Combo).
Avoid most cards above 4 cmc... Willowdusk is fast and fragile, so play into that... Also, prioritize cards that can do 2 or more things or that give value on ETB... If you have pet cards that don't really fit and that hurt to cut, put them in a "I'll build that theme later" list.
-1 Pelakka Wurm
-1 Ezzaroot Channeler ... cut the fatties.
-1 Decree of Pain ... too slow
-1 Bow of Nylea ... meh
-1 Sangromancer ... amazing card but doesn't trigger when you need it to.
-1 Venser's Journal ... also amazing, but too conditional for this build
-1 Ranger's Path ... all your ramp should be on turn 2
-1 Temple of the False God ... this card is almost never good
+1 Devoted Druid ... this card is a beast
+1 Talisman of Resilience ... #Ramp
+1 Llanowar Elves ... #Ramp... the elves enable Willowdusk combos on turn 3.
+1 Viridian Joiner ... #Ramp... #Combo
+1 Killing Wave
+1 Massacre Girl ... #Wipe
+1 Beast Within ... #Removal
+1 Golgari Charm ... #Evasion
~1 Rancor ... Trample and haste are important... #Evasion
~1 Destined ... the choices are really good.
+1 Soul Channeling ... #Combo with Willowbark and stick to the board...
~1 Phyrexian Processor ... fun?
~1 Lurking Evil ... maybe?
~1 Solidarity of Heroes ... #Combo
~1 Ooze Flux ... tokens at instant speed?
~1 Retribution of the Ancients ... removal?
+1 Thought Gorger ... (leaves)
+1 Return of the Wildspeaker ... #Draw
+1 Triskelion ... #Combo
+1 Nighthawk Scavenger ... #Fatty
...Always play at least 10 ramp spells under 3 cmc.
...Playtest and make sure Willowbark consistently makes a fatty (with evasion) before turn 6-7.
Happy building :)
3 months ago
Cool deck. I've been interested in building Oloro and I like the direction you took it. I guess the creature spots are pretty tight since they all have to be big impact. Thoughts on Cosmos Elixir , Vault of Champions , Sea of Clouds , Morphic Pool , Angel of Destiny , Hullbreacher , Opposition Agent , Venser's Journal , Approach of the Second Sun , Soul's Attendant , Speaker of the Heavens , Drannith Magistrate ?
Elixir is just a phyrexian arena without the lifeloss with Oloro. Bond lands come into play untapped so thats nice. Angel of Destiny and Approach of the second sun are interesting backup wincons which might not be super necessary with the amount of wincons already in the deck. Hullbreacher and Opposition Agent are flash creatures that severely slow down our opponents ability to assemble their combos or wincons, while accelerating our plans even further. Vensers Journal is supercharging our lifegain and also works nicely with necropotences hand size. Speaker of the Heavens creates an army of angels by itself turn after turn to serve as good blockers until we get our combo pieces. Soul's Attendant is just another copy of soul warden, which is always solid. Drannith Magistrate locks out opponents from playing their commander, while we still get the benefit from our commander. The main thing is that its a threatening card and opponents will most likely remove it as soon as they can.
8 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
8 months ago
I would totally throw in Profane Transfusion - fits to your swap-life idea and fits to K'rrik's Phyrexian origin.
Dark Ritual/Bubbling Muck/Culling the Weak - is just "free" temporary ramp thats adds really good amount of add to your mana pool. Worth a lot :D Similar as Blood Pet.
Priest of Gix - would cost you only and 2 life that adds upon entering the battlefield (fair reanimator ramping target aswell).
Cards like Ivory Tower and Venser's Journal to slow down the damage you take from spamming Necropotence.
Attrition - "Pay 2 life and sac a creature: destroy target non-black creature." is just absolute nuts, especially if you manage to generate some tokens (which I do in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck with Desecrated Tomb + Tortured Existence combo, together with Phyrexian Altar for infinite etb/die triggers).
Snuff Out - is just "free" destroy spell which a) drains your life -> b) draws 4 cards with Vilis, Broker of Blood.
Also swap Ur-Golem's Eye for Sol Ring and I would personally swap Thran Dynamo for some cheaper mana rock aswell.