|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
You have no maximum hand size.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each card in your hand.
Venser's Journal Discussion
4 days ago
Thanks for the suggestions B0effe
Reliquary Tower for Swamp looks like a easy update and will give me 2 anti discarding effects in case I don't get Venser's Journal out. I'm trying to keep the Black mana symbols since those count toward a couple of my drain effects Soul Burn , Consume Spirit , Drain Life .
I absolutely love the buyback of Slaughter in this deck so it's staying in. I am considering the swap of Go for the Throat for Vraska's Contempt though. I won't get to reanimate the creature but sometime it's better to permanently remove a problem.
1 month ago
Hey, good looking deck, ive been enjoying tuning up meren as well, feel free to take this with a grain of salt but here are a couple things i notice that i would suggest changing
-first i notice a strong discard theme, which i can understand the temtation to just get to dip cards into the grave, unfortunatly with some of these you might be unintentionally giving your opponent card advantage with cards like Dark Deal . I prefer Fauna Shaman to get cards from hand to grave yard, cause then you can find the other half of a combo, for ex. Fauna Shaman >discard Phyrexian Devourer search for Triskelion discard Triskelion search for Necrotic Ooze play it, win on the spot, or if there is a counter just bring him back at the end of turn and do it again. Another great option is Buried Alive when i play meren against another graveyard deck it is pretty much a race to get this because many times it can cause a graveyard deck to win on the spot. Also Phyrexian Reclamation and Tortured Existence can have some awsome graveyard interactions depending on your need -next is recurgence you have some great card effects that cant really be recurged like you can with creatures so cards like Nihil Spellbomb while a good effect maybe something like Agent of Erebos could give you much more value, in a deck like this seeking out creatures to do the job of spells can be very powerfull. Another card that does a lot of work for me is Life from the Loam getting lands and filling your grave yard is great ive played it turn two with no target to value drege on t3. -lastley im glad your running Necropotence many overlook this card for some crazy reason, but i would recomend running Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel to get some crazy value out of it, my personal favorite is Venser's Journal but some ppl think its to costy, i understand that. -Well if you read all that thanks for listening to my rant, i enjoy playing meren a lot and have tested her in a pretty competetive environment extensivly, so i have lots of opinions on her lol. Some last thoughts would be to drop: Bloodghast , Priest of Forgotten Gods , Shriekmaw and add somthing like : Viscera Seer , Phyrexian Delver , and Fauna Shaman . Any questions or anything just let me know, i like talking about meren, good luck buddy
1 month ago
- + Izzet Signet is good for filtering mana, in case you need one of the colors it provides while also giving you an additional mana.
- + Venser's Journal is great for life gain. This allows you to drop a lot of the unnecessary life gain cards in your deck so you can include better stuff.
- + Snapcaster Mage gives you instant/sorcery casting from the grave.
- + Venser, Shaper Savant bounces spells that are being cast, and permanents on the field.
+ Guttersnipe 2 damage to each opponent when you cast an instant or sorcery.
- Pristine Talisman costs 3 and provides you with mediocre benefits. Gaining life isn't a focus in your deck, so it's best to not focus too heavily on it. You have Aetherflux Reservoir and Venser's Journal , if you add it, in place of those little tiny life gaining cards.
- - Academy Journeymage because Venser, Shaper Savant
- - Weaver of Lightning because Guttersnipe does it better.
1 month ago
Hey hkhssweiss! Sorry I've been taking so long to reply, I had some tests I had to study for. Anyway, I edited my deck again and here are the cards I took out:
- Platinum Angel
- Darksteel Forge
- Norn's Annex
- Venser's Journal
- Terramorphic Expanse
- Isolated Chapel
- Forbidden Orchard
- Evolving Wilds
- Dimir Aqueduct
- Azorius Chancery
Cards I put in:
- Expedition Map
- Voltaic Key
- Whispersilk Cloak (To combo with Blightsteel Colossus for a guaranteed hit to someone.)
- Mana Confluence
- Reflecting Pool
- City of Brass
- Hallowed Fountain
- Godless Shrine
- Watery Grave
Hopefully that's good, I'm not exactly sure. I think the mana base is pretty much finished, but I could add in a Rogue's Passage to let my Blightsteel Colossus through, as that is one of the only two win conditions in the deck besides taking their stuff. Is the deck finished, or would it be good to add in things like Mystical Tutor , Cryptic Command , Authority of the Consuls , or Copy Enchantment ?
1 month ago
I may want to take out the Necropotence due to its BBB cost. That means I would have two slots free for things, because if I was taking out Necropotence , I would also take out Venser's Journal . Perhaps I could add in something like Tormod's Crypt or Expedition Map ? I don't know.
1 month ago
Alright hkhssweiss, so I have updated and edited my deck a bit, and I wanted to see what you thought. Here are the cards I took out:
- Open the Vaults
- Font of Mythos
- Howling Mine
- Temple Bell
- Time Sieve
- Dawn Charm
- Archangel of Tithes
- Ethersworn Adjudicator
- Iona, Shield of Emeria
- Magister Sphinx
- Muzzio, Visionary Architect
- Thopter Assembly
- Windborn Muse
- Dromar's Charm
- Wurmcoil Engine
- Steel Hellkite
- and 1 Island
And these are the cards I put in:
- Grand Abolisher
- Aven Mindcensor
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator
- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Master Transmuter
- Arcane Denial
- Hurkyl's Recall
- Imp's Mischief
- Faith's Reward
- Strionic Resonator (To play the Triplets' Ability more than once, just like with Paradox Haze . With this, I can even play it more than twice!)
- Crystal Shard (When I take over someone with the Triplets' ability, I can use this on them to bounce one of their important creatures and then immediately recast it. The best thing is that it is repeatable!)
- Venser's Journal (I just added this to combat life loss with Necropotence . Since it also makes me have a unlimited hand size, it combos there as well.)
- Mystic Remora (Do you mind telling me how to play this card correctly? My guess is just leave it around for one or two turn cycles, right?)
- Paradox Haze
- Flooded Strand (I finally splurged and bought a fetchland. That's what I replaced the island with. Only time will tell if it was a good idea. I think it was, because I can use it later on in any deck that runs blue or white.)
Anyway, if you could tell me what you think, that would be great. And again, thanks for all of your help hkhssweiss!
2 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions and compliments TypicalTimmy. I was actually looking at ways to get more lifegain into this deck since I think it may struggle when be focused down by multiple opponents. Venser's Journal seems perfect since it also gives no max handsize.
I had originally disregarded Lightning Helix since it can't double target like Expose Evil or Soul's Fire , but the fact that I could just continuously target Feather and gain 3 life a turn is something worth considering.
Unfortunately Approach of the Second Sun won't trigger Feather since it doesn't target any of my creatures. That being said, the amount of cantrips included here allows me to churn through the deck pretty quickly so it isn't a bad idea as a secondary win-con.
2 months ago
So the first thing I noticed is that you pick a lot of cantrips that allow you to draw cards. Smart move. I would recommend looking into Venser's Journal . You'd need to drop a card for this one, but I think it is well worth it. You can essentially begin drawing massive amounts of cards with your cantrips as they stack up, and gain a lot of life for doing so. I feel it's perfect for your deck.
Finally, I would highly advise you look into Approach of the Second Sun . Normally when you cast this, a replacement effect happens and the card is moved to 7th from the top rather than your graveyard. However, Feather's ability is also a replacement effect. With two replacement effects looking to resolve on the same card, it's just a matter of ordering / choosing what you want done first. So, exile Approach and put it into your hand to cast it on the following turn to win the game.
Venser's Journal occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%