|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Demon
When Reiver Demon enters the battlefield, if you played it from your hand, destroy all nonartifact, nonblack creatures. They can't be regenerated.
Reiver Demon Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help.
Cards to consider cutting to make 100:
- Demon of Catastrophes : not worth sacing a creature to cast it.
- Nightmare : not worth 5 mana, 5 of the mana cost can't be paid with Phyrexian mana.
- Xathrid Gorgon : same as Nightmare.
- Magus of the Coffers : Crypt Ghast , Coffers, Nykthos, Stronghold all better.
- Liliana, the Necromancer
- Ancient Craving
- Dregs of Sorrow
- Avatar of Woe
- Demonlord Belzenlok
- Eternity Vessel
In your forum topic you said you're not worried about reducing the high avg. CMC by cutting high CMC creatures because you can pay Phyrexian mana to reduce their cost. This is true to some degree, but you're not always in every game going to have Krrik on the battlefield, access to Phyrexian mana, and the times when this happens then having a lower avg. CMC will allow you to actually play Magic.
The other problem is why play worse high CMC creatures then Vilis, Broker of Blood , Pontiff of Blight , Sheoldred, Whispering One or Reiver Demon ? There's no reason to jam a bunch of other high CMC creatures just because you can. These creatures especially the interaction of Vilis, Pontiff with Krrik are better than all the other high CMC creatures who are within the budget here. You would rather draw them then the others therefore make it easier to draw them and don't include lots of other high CMC creatures?
Pontiff of Blight giving extort to all creatures you control is good especially if you're playing a life gain strategy. Extort can be paid for with Phyrexian mana, that's what makes it busted. Each extort trigger can be paid with 2 life, but if you have three opponents you gain 3 life for each trigger, you gain 1 life per opponents who loss life. This means you extort for free and also gain 1 life after each trigger. Even if you only have two opponents you're still getting to extort for free because of Phyrexian mana.
Before you can do anything with Krrik and Phyrexian mana you have to get him on the battlefield and this means getting four mana (colorless or black). First priority for upgrades to consider is adding more early game ramp that's within the budget:
- Dark Ritual
- Cabal Ritual
- Bubbling Muck
- Blood Pet
- Everflowing Chalice
- Mind Stone
- Fellwar Stone
- Basalt Monolith
- Crystal Vein
The strength of Krrik is Phyrexian mana, but to take advantage of this you want lots of other one mana cards. When you play Krrik you want to right away start giving him counters:
- Blood Celebrant : with Phyrexian mana this is repeatable 3 life to add , which is busted.
- Scheming Symmetry
- Rain of Filth
- Inquisition of Kozilek
- Aphotic Wisps : can kill an opponent with Commander damage.
- Tainted Strike : can kill an opponent with Infect.
Cremate, Wisps, Tainted are not usually playable cards, but with Krrik they are because they're free to cast and most draw a card. For one mana or free Symmetry can get you Necropotence into your hand.
Two drops are also good, not as good as one drops, but still good value with Phyrexian mana:
- Imp's Mischief : protect Krrik.
- Night's Whisper
- Blood Artist : cares about your opponents' creatures dying too.
- Animate Dead
You could fit Demonic Tutor and Diabolic Intent in here if you wanted by cutting some cards that are by no means as powerful as either because these tutors can get you Necropotence , Bolas's Citadel or Aetherflux Reservoir ; all more impactful cards/game winning cards. Consider cutting these cards to add Demonic/Intent? Most of these cards are high mana cost redundancy which are not needed:
I offer more advice if you would like. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
I've been brewing too, check these out: Soul Conduit / Whip of Erebos / Noxious Gearhulk / Morbid Curiosity / Night's Whisper / Dusk Legion Zealot / Mindblade Render / Reiver Demon / Pestilence Demon and Thrashing Wumpus plus lifelink is sweet
4 months ago
I dont know your meta, so might be a non-issue, put play tested your deck a couple of time. The turn you normal start to be able to really impact the board (defend yourself, attack etc) is turn 5 or 6. That is a bit late if your opponents are doing stuff those turns.
Your decks starts going after that but is still not doing anything insane. To really get things started you need to get to +t10
Id try lower your curve a bit. Replace some of these cards (not all) with things that ramp or have some impact early game. Reiver Demon , Lord of the Void , Exsanguinate , Army of the Damned , Dread Cacodemon , Demolition Stomper , Marionette Master , Gray Merchant of Asphodel , Spine of Ish Sah , Scour from Existence , Silverskin Armor , Revel in Riches , Demolition Stomper , Glaring Spotlight .
Some suggestion that gives you some early game plays Mind Stone , Palladium Myr , Voltaic Servant , Foundry Inspector , Vampire Nighthawk (people hate attacking in to that) Plague Myr , Filigree Familiar or really whatever mana stones you have at hand.
11 months ago
Glad to see you worked those Zombies in! I'm going to second ninjaclevs13's recommendations as far as what to cut and add a couple of my own for your consideration.
Vengeful Pharaoh - He only works from your graveyard, they still get to hit you first, and his mana cost is pretty high
Millstone - Milling two cards for two mana is really sub-par in EDH unless you are going for a total mill theme, and even then there are better mill cards
Mindcrank - Again, mill is only good if it helps you or you if you go all-in on the mill strategy or the infinite combo
To fix your card draw problem, reference this list of black card draw cards. Not all of the cards shown are great, but there are some real winners there. i.e. Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, Phyrexian Arena, etc. Definitely go through and pick some that you like!
11 months ago
I need some help deciding to remove some cards to make it 100 cards commander legal, it’s 105 right now.
Throw me some ideas to add or replace cards too. Feel free to criticize me, tell me if there should be changes. First time really trying to put a deck together. I think I’m having mana and creature cost issues? I’m not sure? Thanks!
1 year ago
Keeping the demon subtheme I would suggest: Ammit Eternal, Baleful Ammit, Archfiend of Despair, Demon of Catastrophes, Demon of Dark Schemes, Demon of Wailing Agonies, Harvester of Souls, Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis, Reiver Demon
I would remove: Buried Alive (don't see strong graveyard recursion), Temporal Extortion/Dash Hopes (bc if its that important to your opponents they will pay the life), Grinning Demon/Minion of Leshrac (no upside), Gloom/Infernal Reckoning(unless this is a meta choice but its too situational), Sanguine Bond (do you gain that much life to be relevant?), Death's Approach (for hard removal) and Without Weakness
1 year ago
I have a number of concerns about this deck. Please read in full. I'm not stating anything I wouldn't follow myself. I really like your deck idea. In fact, I've loved land creature manipulation for a long time - Rude Awakening is one of my favorite cards.
1) As your creatures are weak by themselves, I don't see a win condition outside of Sylvan Awakening, other than Demon of Catastrophes. And if he's dealt with, you're in trouble. Some Mid-Range power creatures, like Josu Vess, Lich Knight could help a lot here. Josu can even end the game when kicked (and help get value out of Cabal Stronghold ). I like Liliana's Reaver, but it is not legal in Standard.
2) Sylvan Awakening gives you a field full of, well...2/2s. Even if you have 10 of them, not only do you have one turn to win the game, but certainly your opponent will either be able to block 2/2s no problem, or even counter the spell all together, leaving you in a bad spot. If they have a creature that can block multiple creatures, or has lifelink, that's even worse for you. You might benefit from a way to further pump each land up after becoming creatures. Echoing Courage is what I would advise, but if you're playing Standard, I don't know what to suggest here. Perhaps a global boost with trample.
3) Without a mono-black deck, I fear you won't get the full use out of Cabal Stronghold, and will end up with a colorless producing machine, instead of the extra black mana you're hoping for. Not only that, but the land is really only useful for high cost cards, like huge demons that are hard to cast otherwise, like Reiver Demon, or for cards with X in the cost, like Consume Spirit, or Torment of Hailfire.
4) Since you're depending on win conditions a bit later on, having defensive spells could be beneficial. A Standard equivalent of Doom Blade or Grasp of Darkness would be nice. Cast Down is one of my favorites.
Again, cool idea, but it's really hard to make work. I've been looking into mono black efficiency myself. Maybe something like Liliana's Reaver could help with mid-range power, or Glint-Sleeve Siphoner to help with card draw early on.
1 year ago
Ti consiglio di togliere:
Armillary Sphere, Traveler's Amulet e Wanderer's Twig non mettono le terre in campo, quindi sono molto lente. Meglio rampare velocemente con Sword of the Animist, oppure accelerare con Sol Ring, Caged Sun o Black Market.
In ogni caso, ti suggerirei di avere 2/3 boardwipe nel mazzo, gestisciteli tu. In un mono-nero, non posso che consigliarti vivamente Mutilate, oppure anche In Garruk's Wake. Due tizi fighi che spazzano solo le cose degli altri, a proposito, anche se non sono vampiri, sono Dread Cacodemon e Reiver Demon.
Hai tanti single target removal, tipo 10-11 (contando anche Hex, Dregs of Sorrow...). Valuta tu se magari tagliarne 2/3 e mettere qualche vampiro in più, come Twilight Prophet, Champion of Dusk, Mirri the Cursed, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Necropolis Regent o Defiant Bloodlord.
La tua mana base è un po' fatta di corsa, valuta sostituire qualche Swamp con delle utility lands come: Barren Moor, Mortuary Mire, Bojuka Bog, Myriad Landscape, Crypt of Agadeem, Cabal Stronghold. Se ti va, c'è sempre la combo Dark Depths + Vampire Hexmage.
Reiver Demon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%