Until end of turn, whenever a player taps a Swamp for mana, that player adds to his or her mana pool.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bubbling Muck occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Bubbling Muck Discussion
3 weeks ago
Sweet deck! It looks like a lot of fun to play!
Bubbling Muck might be another card to consider to help you get to those high CMCs and can be a lot less fragile than relying on ghast :)
1 month ago
Dark Ritual, I was running this in my old Toshiro Umezawa deck (which could easily cast it twice), but I never found it to be worth a slot. That deck (and this one) wasn't really designed to ramp out the commander, or get a game-winning combo going early on, so I found that I'd rather have a mana rock than a single turn ritual effect.
Bubbling Muck, This one on the other hand looks much more suited to this deck. I'm still in the early days of testing this list, but I'm sure i'll proxy it at some point to give it a try. I could see this as a late-game enabler that gives me a TON of mana to cast Chainer and use him to reanimate a few Creatures on the same turn. Great suggestion!
Thought Vessel, Hmmm, this is kind of a "win more". I also don't mind discarding down to hand size because it lets me put high CMC Creatures into my graveyard so I can reanimate them with Chainer for only 3CMC. I'm also hesitant to add any more rocks that can't tap for black mana
Read the Bones and Sign in Blood, I love these cards, and I do want to add them in, but for this initial build I'm fousing more on Creatures that give me effects like this (like Disciple of Bolas), or engines that work well in longer games (like Phyrexian Arena, because this deck tends to take a while to get to a state where it can win.
Vendetta, I think I already have too many dedicated removal spells, and this one eats away at my health (which Chainer already does a LOT), and my Meta has a lot of Black in it.
Dimir Machinations, I like Transmute spells, but I prefer ones that I can hardcast for a good effect. Shred Memory is good emergency graveyard hate, and Dimir House Guard is an evasive, regenerating Sac outlet, and both have a wide range of situational and outright powerful tutor targets. Dimir Machinations is just never worth hardcasting unless someone has used a Vampiric Tutor on a mainphase, but that's an unlikely corner case. I also don't have too many goot targets at 3CMC, Dead of Winter would be the main one that might be worth spending 3 mana to fetch out, but this deck prefers to loop Plaguecrafter to clear a board.
I'll have to have a look through all your primers, they look really cool and very detailed! I'm assuming you need an upgraded account to set styles like you have.
1 month ago
Hey there! It's always nice to see a real primer that took time (check out some of mine!), and yours definitely seems like one of those! +1 for that! I'd recommend some of these, they come in handy so much in my mono-black deck and I'm positive they could help you too! Dark Ritual, Bubbling Muck, Thought Vessel, Read the Bones, Sign in Blood, Vendetta, and Dimir Machinations! Any reasons not to include those? Seriously though, great deck, hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. Good luck on the deck!
1 month ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
2 months ago
I would totally throw in Profane Transfusion - fits to your swap-life idea and fits to K'rrik's Phyrexian origin.
Dark Ritual/Bubbling Muck/Culling the Weak - is just "free" temporary ramp thats adds really good amount of add to your mana pool. Worth a lot :D Similar as Blood Pet.
Priest of Gix - would cost you only and 2 life that adds upon entering the battlefield (fair reanimator ramping target aswell).
Cards like Ivory Tower and Venser's Journal to slow down the damage you take from spamming Necropotence.
Attrition - "Pay 2 life and sac a creature: destroy target non-black creature." is just absolute nuts, especially if you manage to generate some tokens (which I do in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck with Desecrated Tomb + Tortured Existence combo, together with Phyrexian Altar for infinite etb/die triggers).
Snuff Out - is just "free" destroy spell which a) drains your life -> b) draws 4 cards with Vilis, Broker of Blood.
Also swap Ur-Golem's Eye for Sol Ring and I would personally swap Thran Dynamo for some cheaper mana rock aswell.
2 months ago
I see a lot of shiny cards! Love the deck "intro" :D
Instead of typing all the cards I would suggest, I got a similar deck, just with Syr Konrad, the Grim: For the Void, the idea of the deck, just like with Ayara, is to get creatures, kills them, ping opponents to death.. with few bonuses. Maybe you'll like some cards, I would definitely suggest Tortured Existence (even if it doesnt like working with Necropotence, because of the discarding into exile), with Desecrated Tomb to make a 1/1 black bat token with flying for at instant speed and since Ayara loves black creatures, its would be really good :D Black itself offers a lot of card draw to replace Necropotence.
I also wrote an explanation why I use every single card in the deck, if you would wonder why some stuff are even in there. :D Also if you would decide to give some feedback aswell, I would appreaciate it :P
Anyway, about some cards I would probably replace here:
1) Ugin, the Ineffable - making colorless cards cheaper is definitely nice, but most cards here are already cheap enough with a decent mono-black ramp, which just make it less effective 6 drop. Making tokens into card draw when they die is alright, but again, black has tons of way to generate tokens and card draw (also less synergy with Ayara, since those tokens arent black). His permanent removal is a little bit better for mono-black decks, but since it takes 2 turns to use that ability again (and killing Ugin in process) is slow, cards like Meteor Golem would be probably much more effective as a permanent removal, since it just targets any permanent no matter the color AND is a creature, so sac Meteor Golem and reanimate later. Also, Feed the Swarm.
2) Cemetery Reaper - there is only 5 other Zombie creatures (if I dont count tokens from Grave Titan,Army of the Damned and Open the Graves). Even with some zombies on board, +1/+1 is pretty small buff and Cemetery Reaper is just slow token generator.
3) Beseech the Queen - even for , you are forced to reveal the tutored card, which makes it pretty bad tutor and in my personal opinion, one of the worst tutors in mono-black. As much as I love BtQ art, its a big no from me. Just for , there is budget Diabolic Tutor that wont make you reveal the card you tutored for. Or, a bit more expensive, but mana cheaper and great in token decks: Diabolic Intent. BsQ also limits you by the number of lands you control, so its less effective in the early game.
4) Caged Sun - I know how the mana doubling is nice, but since it costs to get out, then wait a turn to get value out of it might be slow. I think tutoring for Cabal Coffers/Cabal Stronghold might be just faster and more effective. Similar problem with Gauntlet of Power, even if it costs less, it affects lands of the chosen color your opponents control too, which just might lead to some ugly moments :D Probably something like Mirage Mirror would be a good replacement, so you can make an additional copy of Cabal Coffers. Another one could be Pawn of Ulamog, since you have plenty of creatures and those 0/1 Eldrazi tokens could help you with ramp.
Some more cards that could be nice:
1) Piper of the Swarm - cheap creature that buffs some of your other rats and can make rat tokens for cheap aswell, with mind control effect too. There are some really cool Ayara decks with rat tribal aswell.
2) Clackbridge Troll - I pretty like this card since I first saw it... its big ugly troll that does a lot of stuff, forcing your opponent to sac a creature to give you 3 life and 1 card, ooorrrr you the troll hits them! :D
3) Songs of the Damned/Bubbling Muck - both are pretty good to give you a lot of mana to cast a some big stuff during a single turn.
4) Malakir Rebirth Flip - this is definitely a cool card from the last set, giving either Ayara or any other creature important at the moment "protection" or just use it as a land if needed. With Vilis on board, it also draws you 2 cards for at instant speed.
2 months ago
First of all, no creature in commander is too expensive, unless you have enough ramp or ways to cheat it out.
( There is an infinite combo of Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Triskelion . There is fairly a lot of ramp in black, if you really need it, like Black Market; Songs of the Damned; Bubbling Muck; Magus of the Coffers, etc.
I use some basic black ramp cards in my For the Void and it works just fine, nothing extra :D
Something to protect Mikaeus and other creatures, like Lightning Greaves and Malakir Rebirth
Flip is very nice. Or just Reanimate whatever dies.. which can even draw you cards if you would control Vilis, Broker of Blood.
Swampwalk is fine, definitely if with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth on board.
Landbase look fine, maybe Emergence Zone is really nice utility land, so you can cast anything at instant speed after you sac it.
3 months ago
I'm gonna name a bunch of cards I'd cut.