Curse of Fool's Wisdom
Enchantment — Aura Curse
Whenever enchanted player draws a card, they lose 2 life and you gain 2 life.
Madness (If you discard this card, you may cast it for its madness cost instead of putting it into your graveyard.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Curse of Fool's Wisdom Discussion
2 months ago
You might like these: Marauding Blight-Priest , Cliffhaven Vampire , Epicure of Blood , Shabraz, the Skyshark , Drogskol Reaver , Psychosis Crawler , Suture Priest , Polluted Bonds , Painful Quandary , Soul Warden , Soul's Attendant , Carnival of Souls , Curse of Fool's Wisdom , Bontu's Monument , Thran Turbine , Nyx-Fleece Ram
on Power nap
3 months ago
I most certainly can! Archelos is super cool and can really warp a landbase, as now you can include so many tap lands that normally aren't too powerful, not only giving you that sort of ability but also making the land base WAY cheaper! You also have to think about the lands BEFORE you put our Archelos though, and so I'd say a balance between better lands and tap lands are what you probably want to head towards. What you have so far looks wonderful, and certainly efficient, though again, you may want to include one cycle of a certain land, maybe Breeding Pool, Overgrown Tomb, and Watery Grave? These guys can help get Archelos out, but after he's out you won't necessarily have to take the shock damage from them which I'd say deserves them a good spot in the deck. Other ones that aren't necessary but could be worth considering are Hinterland Harbor, Woodland Cemetery, and Drowned Catacomb, since again they can come in untapped with Archelos and still be relatively good without him, and of course the bounce lands Simic Growth Chamber, Golgari Rot Farm, and Dimir Aqueduct, since they can get pretty powerful when they come in untapped. Since you have Fabled Passage, Evolving Wilds, and Terramorphic Expanse I'd say it's worth it to slot in a Ramunap Excavator or Crucible of Worlds, since you'd then get two landfall triggers per turn guaranteed, since you can continuously play the sac lands again and again. If this trick proves to be very helpful, you may want to consider slotting in more fetch lands like Prismatic Vista, Misty Rainforest, Verdant Catacombs, Polluted Delta, etc. Speaking of landfall triggers, I think Myriad Landscape would work AMAZING with Archelos, as not only would the Myriad come in untapped, but so would what it searches for, giving you three landfall triggers just off of that one card if you have two mana to spare. So honestly, I don't have too much to say about the lands, I think it's pretty solid at the moment though you may need to playtest a lot to know for sure, however, I did find a bunch of great cards that could work well with Archelos!
- Amulet of Vigor: If Archelos isn't out yet and you have a ton of tap lands, this guy could be of great use, especially for just a single mana.
- Root Maze: SUPER amazing card, this guy can tax everyone but you! On your upkeep untap archelos, have everything come in untapped, then tap him before your next turn and boom now everyone's artiafcts and lands come into played tapped for one mana besides yours.
- Coldsteel Heart: Basically a 2 mana, untapped mana rock with Archelos
- Cryptolith Fragment Flip: This guy can perform your goal of whittling away peoples health, as well as coming in untapped with Archelos. The flip side can also perform that whittling quite efficiently.
- Manascape Refractor: Comes in untapped- could be pretty fun to see how that works out!
- Arcane Signet: You should run this no matter what
- Orb of Dreams: Similar power and ability to root maze mentioned above, this can tax everyone else except you with Archelos
- Renegade Map: Basically 1 mana get a basic land if you have Archelos out
- Sphere of the Suns: Great with Archelos out and coming in untapped
- Terrarion: Seems pretty solid if it doesn't come in untapped
- Worn Powerstone: Like the rest, pretty sweet if it doesn't come in tapped and can be immediately used.
- Moss Diamond/Charcoal Diamond/Sky Diamond: Untapped ability again
- Honor-Worn Shaku: Allows you to tap archelos and get something out of it
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: It's amazing why not run it
- Retreat to Hagra: Can be a great way of slowly ruining your opponent's health, especially with the extra land triggers I mentioned before
- Stasis: If you already have the things you need to slowly remove your opponents health, this can pretty much ensure victory.
- Verity Circle: SUPER amazing if I'm understanding it correctly, basically whenever your opponents play a creature since it comes in tapped with Archelos you draw a card, and has the second ability if you are ever in need of it
- A great way to slowly get rid of your opponents health is with recurring triggers that happen every turn, such as curses. Here are some that I found: Trespasser's Curse, Torment of Scarabs, Cruel Reality, Curse of Thirst, and Curse of Fool's Wisdom
- ANY COMBO WITH RETREAT TO CORALHELM. Edhrec names 1000+ combos with this card, so I'd recommend looking through it and seeing if you find anything that would work if you haven't already!
That's all I have, sorry it probably wasn't too much regarding the lands, but I hope I gave you some good stuff to think about! I honestly love the deck it has a super cool theme, and seems like it could work very well! That said though, hope this helps, and have a wonderful day!
6 months ago
6 months ago
Cards to play: Psychosis Crawler which will reward you for drawing by dealing damage. Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted is the better ob nixilis for this deck. Whispering Madness, Dark Deal, Reforge the Soul, Magus of the Wheel, Incendiary Command, Wheel of Fate, Time Reversal, Echo of Eons are all wheel effects that make your opponents suddenly draw a ton of cards that will then let you deal damage to everyone. Prosperity Will have everyone drawing equally. Izzet Signet, Dimir Signet, Rakdos Signet, Arcane Signet are decent mana rocks you're missing. Arcane Denial counters a spell and lets them draw and replaces itself. Stormfist Crusader howling mine effect but punishes at the same time.
Cards to take out. Pillage Very inefficient. Quest for Ancient Secrets Very slow. Sadistic Sacrament not really what this deck is truly wanting to do. Shrieking Affliction 99/100 games your opponents will have more than 1 card in hand. Darksteel Plate just too expensive to be good for this deck. Ob Nixilis Reignited not as good as the other ob nixilis. Cerebral Vortex not usually going to deal massive damage and only damages 1 opponent. Painful Quandary I like this card and probably wouldn't get rid of it, but your opponents will usually have the card to discard. Crawlspace not really going with your overall game plan, it does slow your opponents down,but not by enough. Nin, the Pain Artist it's a lot of mana to sink into an effect like this. Curse of Fool's Wisdom only targets 1 player, it's really too limited. Torbran, Thane of Red Fell a lot of your debate sources are black, this is decent with your commander but not much else. Reverberate I didn't see a huge number of decent targets forthis spell and it doesn't do a whole lot of good. Darksteel Ingot I don't personally like seeing 3 cost mana ramp, I'd suggest replacing it with a signet.
I would like to say that I really like your deck, it's an interesting take on an interesting commander. This is meant to be constructive and all with the best intentions.
7 months ago
Hey, well done for your first deck from scratch.
Some cards within the current budget to consider adding:
- Command Tower: one of the best lands for multicolored decks in Commander.
- Buried Alive: best budget way to tutor for and get Worldgorger into your graveyard.
- Bogardan Hellkite: win condition Dragon with Worldgorger combo.
- Open the Armory: can be an early game tutor for Lightning Greaves for Kaalia or later on for Animate Dead.
- Rune-Scarred Demon: Mystery Booster version, Demon to tutor for any card.
- Faithless Looting: double way to discard Worldgorger if it's stuck in your hand or if you draw it.
- Wishclaw Talisman: use it to tutor for the last piece of the Worldgorger combo for one mana the turn you want to combo.
- Swiftfoot Boots: more protection/haste for Kaalia.
- Fellwar Stone
- Talisman of Conviction
- Exotic Orchard
- Caves of Koilos
- Rugged Prairie
- Dragonskull Summit
- Ash Barrens
Could add all these cards for about $26.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Temple of the False God
- Shimmering Grotto
- Vivid Crag
- Temple of Triumph
- Wind-Scarred Crag
- Star Compass
- Artful Maneuver
- Curse of Fool's Wisdom
- Angelic Chorus
- Mirror of the Forebears
- Desecration Demon
- Angelic Skirmisher
- Akroma, Angel of Fury
- Fiery Emancipation
Worldgorger Dragon is a tricky combo to assemble because Worldgorger needs to be in your graveyard to reanimate it with Animate Dead. You don't want to ever cast it from hand or cheat it onto the battlefield with Kaalia. Sneak Attack cheating it on the battlefield is fine because then it will end up in your graveyard and you get your permanents back. You want to get Worldgorger into your graveyard and the best budget card that can do that is Buried Alive.
Currently here Angel of Despair is the easy win condition with the Worldgorger combo by destroying all your opponents permanents. But what happens if Despair is disrupted or exiled? Kaalia, Zenith Seeker can be a more complex enabler with the combo needing haste for all the creatures you put into your hand and get onto the battlefield. Bogardan Hellkite can be another easy, even truer, win condition with the combo because it does damage to each player each time it ETB which will be infinite damage with the combo.
Good luck with your deck.
7 months ago
Thank you for the suggestions. Having alternate win cons defintitely sounds good to have.
Peoni Thank you for the suggestions. I forgot to ask about Notion Thief I definitely see the synergy with the wheels however I was wondering if I should be concerned about it lower damage potential on the wheels.
Currently I'm thinking of Black Sun's Zenith over Damnation Mostly because its reusable.
I am now wondering if I should also remove Bottomless Pit, Necrogen Mists, Oppression and double down on more mill mechanics.
Curse of Fool's Wisdom
Quest for the Nihil Stone
Liliana, Waker of the Dead
Drift of Phantasms
7 months ago
In mid range, not competitive EDH, you can usually be relatively safe running a very few number of 6 mana spells. Each of those should be something that helps you win the game, given the investment. The second biggest problem with Nekusar is how reliant he tends to be on being able to field Nekusar (the larges is he gives your opponents cards)--The Locust God is a powerful way to finish out games if Nekusar has been taken out of the picture, such as by having a prohibitive commander tax or being hit by something like Oubliette. Likewise, Niv-Mizzet provides a similar role as backup commander (albeit one that also has some combo potential)
Consecrated Sphinx often will net you 4 cards, and very easily can pull a whole lot more. Being able to dig deeper for combo pieces or more wheels is a huge boon with Nekusar.
I think you can probably cut Quest for the Nihil Stone and Curse of Fool's Wisdom. Quest, for the reasons you stated. Even with the madness cost, Fool's Wisdom is a lot of mana to sink into hurting only a single opponent. I do not think it quite cuts it in a multiplayer format.
7 months ago
Peoni Thank you for the suggestions.
What are your opinions on Niv-Mizzet, Parun vs Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind or both?
With Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and Thassa's Oracle is it realistic to try and win this way? I guess 100 cards seems like a lot to me compared to 60?
For Kederekt Parasite My only red permanents are Kess, Dissident Mage and Nekusar, the Mindrazer and Magus of the Wheel but I'm not sure if that really counts.
For 2 cmc rocks am I better off playing those rocks during turns 2 and 3 or playing other cards since most of my non-land cards are 2-3 CMC. Or if I should put bigger mana rocks in like Gilded Lotus to help my mana base later.
My thought with the transmute cards was that a lot of my cards are in the 2 or 3 CMC range. I can definitely see removing Dizzy Spell and Brainspoil since I also have other ways to tutor.
My thought with Diabolic Edict was that it gave me an extra option for sticking on Isochron Scepter. Maybe there are some better Isochron Scepter options here?
With Cowardice I was thinking that it could help protect my creatures and keep the cost of recasting Nekusar, the Mindrazer under control. Also with Minamo, School at Water's Edge, Shizo, Death's Storehouse, and Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep I can bounce opponent commanders. Also it would prevent opponents from using Lightning Greaves / Swiftfoot Boots or creature decks pumping up their creatures.
With the bounce sub theme my thought was that it put more cards in hands to be discarded and to hit with wheel effects and the it can also handle indestructible permanents (I'm not too sure how important that is in EDH) also with Warped Devotion it adds some extra discard.
I am definitely leaning into playing less creatures so that I can play board wipes more freely.
Thank you for the suggestions.
I hadn't thought about how the Day's Undoing end of turn effect prevents all the triggers.
For The Rack would you also recommend removing Quest for the Nihil Stone since it also operates on opponents having no/low cars in their hand? Although it hits all opponents and does more damage.
With Consecrated Sphinx and The Locust God it would be the highest CMC card in the deck except for Curse of Fool's Wisdom. Although I still don't have a good feel for EDH so I'm not too sure if 6 CMC would be too high?
Font of Mythos
Winds of Change