Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Destroy target creature or planeswalker.
2 weeks ago
If you’re looking to improve this, here’s some general tips:
The deck is currently running waay too many cards as 1-ofs and 2-ofs. This makes it pretty impossible to form a coherent strategy, or have any form of reliability. The vast majority of the deck should be run as playsets (4-ofs). A good approach for new deck-builders is to pick 9 cards, and run playsets of each of those (making 36 cards) alongside 24 lands (for a 60 card deck).
your mana curve feels very high. Yes, there are alternate costs to a bunch of your cards, but you still have 6 cards which will unavoidably cost 4-or-more mana (this is quite high, considering a lot of these also cost 5-6, which is outside the range decks can typically justify).
Ninjitsu decks generally want lots of 1-mana evasive creatures so that they can make the most of their ability - i don’t see that here. Specifically, i’d be expecting stuff like Changeling Outcast, Slither Blade, and/or Ornithopter.
You’re currently running a lot of weak/inefficient cards and should he looking to upgrade these where possible. For example, Hero's Downfall being a 3-mana killspell makes it incredibly weak, and really should be Fatal Push. Likewise, Return to Action is very weak when there are multiple cards with this effect __(or better)_ for only 1 mana.
4 weeks ago
Teferi's Puzzle Box - Doesn't serve any purpose unless I'm missing something? Cut it
Bontus monument is not bad, its a decent choice for sure. I personally wouldn't run it here because your commander is 4 mana so it doesn't help you "on curve" (Cast ur commander one turn earlier). Same with chromatic lantern. There is something called the Lantern trap in which if it helps you a lot, then you need to work on your mana base to be less reliant on it. If it doesn't help you with your mana base, then it isn't worth the inclusion. Lantern is typically used in 3+ color decks.
Idk what your budget per card is, or if you want to use tutors. Tutors are blacks biggest strengths, getting what you need when you need it is crucial.
Let me know more about what you want the deck to do and I'll see if I can provide any further assistance. Zombies are fun!
1 month ago
While Shatter the Oath doesn't have any drawbacks, it's also more than double the cost of an equivalent enchantment removal effect in or . So while it is unconditional and unrestricted, I would say it's very mana-inefficient. In fact, let's compare it to Hero's Downfall, which seems to be the current baseline for black removal.
Let's say that destroying a planeswalker is equivalent to destroying an enchantment plus creating a small Aura. Assuming that to be the case, it's barely half as efficient as Hero's Downfall. I would further argue that outside of an enchantment-heavy draft setting, the option to destroy a planeswalker is the more valuable choice. (There are, of course, plenty of destroy-on-sight enchantments and underwhelming planeswalkers, but as a broad and general rule, planeswalkers tend to demand more attention.)
Even comparing it to Murder, it needs a massive mana cost increase to match what or especially can do for 2-3 mana (Banishing Slash, Destroy Evil). There are more limiters than adding drawbacks and restrictions. Mana efficiency is the next big one, and Shatter the Oath is far from efficient. This is a draft common, and I suspect it will see next to no Constructed play.
It's worth keeping an eye on to see if it turns into a long-term trend, but my current position is that it's an appropriate effect.
1 month ago
Hey thanks again for your comments on my primer :)
A few suggestions I have:
Soft permission spells such as Spell Pierce and Mana Leak are usually weak in budget/lower-powered pods because the games go longer. Some potential replacements could be Misdirection, Drown in the Loch.
Cancel, Murder, Hero's Downfall, Perplex, Connive / Concoct and Rite of Undoing seem quite weak to me. Some budget-friendly cards I like that you might want to play are Curtains' Call, Portent, Far / Away, Discovery / Dispersal, Submerge, and Murderous Cut.
Good luck in your tournament!
1 month ago
Welcome to the club, Nezkul! I always get excited when I see a Skeleton deck.
To offer some specifics on wallisface's tips, the planeswalkers don't offer too much to your plan. Garruk, Cursed Huntsman in particular doesn't pull his weight in this deck, at 6 mana for either a couple of expendable bodies or some removal and draw. (Don't rely on a planeswalker's ultimate; unless your deck is loaded with proliferate effects or very hard control, more often than not you're not going to reach it.) Lolth, Spider Queen is a little better, since your Skeletons can be easily reclaimed. Still, though, it's primary function is as a draw engine, so maybe Phyrexian Arena or some "burst" draw like Village Rites would work better.
For removal, Hero's Downfall is more flexible than Murder, and has been reprinted enough that it's very affordable. I don't see your creatures getting more than maybe 3-4 toughness on a good day, so Grim Contest might not be the best option. There's lots of pretty good removal at 2 mana, so that is a potential switch. Prey Upon needs either Skeletal Swarming or Death Baron to be fully useful, so switching it for Bone Shards might work better.
Above all, have fun!
3 months ago
- Citizen's Arrest and Temporary Lockdown. Replace with Hero's Downfall, Planar Disruption, Oblivion Ring, Vindicate etc.
- Clawing Torment. I see no synergy with your deck. Use Tragic Slip or Fatal Push instead.
- Static Net Unless you plan to use the powerstone for something, Prayer of Binding is better since it has flash. But even that is not a good card.
- Sunfall Since your deck is a "sacrifice" deck, you most likely don't want to exile your creatures. If you really want a "Wrath" effect, probably play By Invitation Only. It works well if you have more creature than opponent.
- Sword of Once and Future You'll likely have nothing to cast with this.
- Orim's Chant While an unexpected trick, it effectively costs a card without affecting the board. I would simply play a 2 mana removal instead of this. If you really are a sacrifice deck, play Malicious Affliction.
3 months ago
Remember that you are an aggro deck. As such, you want to lower your mana curve. You don't want to give up on card advantage, but you are willing to ignore life gain and pay some life instead.
- Bone Splinters. March of Wretched Sorrow These are card disadvantage. Try Dismember and Fatal Push. Notice that it mentions "permanent left the battlefield". This works well with your ninjutsu.
- Soul Transfer. You have no chance to control both an artifact and enchantment. If you want to destroy planeswalkers, go with Hero's Downfall.
- Assimilate Essence and Scatter Ray. Playing counterspells that hit just creatures is bad if you are playing black. Either play an universal counterspell such as Mana Leak, or play direct removal which can hit creatures that are already on the battlefield.
- Battle-Rage Blessing and Return to Action. Search for a 1 mana alternative with an unside, such as Feign Death, Undying Evil or Slip Out the Back
- Collective Nightmare, Anoint with Affliction and You Are Already Dead. These are garbage. Play any of the good 2 mana black instant removals, such as Cast Down, Doom Blade, Go for the Throat, Infernal Grasp, Ultimate Price, Power Word Kill, Heartless Act
- Ertai's Scorn, Extinguish the Light, Debt to the Kami. These are somewhat a little too expensive. You are an aggro deck, so play more tempo oriented cards. Try something from Remand, Memory Lapse, Undermine, Clawing Torment.
4 months ago
No it is to narrow especially since you're not running any plainswalkers. Pile On is better in this deck however you've got a solid package of removal including Hero's Downfall. Also Sarkhan is not a big deal. Just swing into it.