: Add .
, : Add for each basic Swamp you control.
|Want (2)||osefdtcninja , Tishana|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Cabal Stronghold occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Cabal Stronghold Discussion
4 weeks ago
@MrKillStar: Thanks for your good ideas. Burnished Hart, Feed the Swarm and Phyrexian Altar are included in this Update. I will include Thornbite Staff, Altar's Reap, Village Rites and Sol Ring in my next Update. The combo around Grave Titan and Ashnod's Altar is nice but I want to focus on the Shades. Therefore I won't include it in the Deck. Furthermore I will include Magus of the Coffers, Nirkana Revenant, Cabal Stronghold and Witch's Cottage in the Future.
sub780lime on Liesa
1 month ago
I don't know if Ashnod's Altar is your best bet for additional ramp. I don't know if you are creating token at enough of a pace to make it worth it and I don't see much of another benefit to sacking your stuff. I still think Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers would be the best answer, but they sure aren't budget includes. On a budget, Cabal Stronghold can do nice work in 2 color or under decks in black. Another sometimes overlooked option is Black Market. Perhaps Ashnod's Altar was from a desire to sac what you have onboard to dump into your Exsanguinate or Debt to the Deathless. Knowing the liklihood you have a useful enough board state in any given game, I think you can probably find more utility out there as Ashnod's Altar will be dead in your hand or on board too often.
2 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
2 months ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
2 months ago
I see a lot of shiny cards! Love the deck "intro" :D
Instead of typing all the cards I would suggest, I got a similar deck, just with Syr Konrad, the Grim: For the Void, the idea of the deck, just like with Ayara, is to get creatures, kills them, ping opponents to death.. with few bonuses. Maybe you'll like some cards, I would definitely suggest Tortured Existence (even if it doesnt like working with Necropotence, because of the discarding into exile), with Desecrated Tomb to make a 1/1 black bat token with flying for at instant speed and since Ayara loves black creatures, its would be really good :D Black itself offers a lot of card draw to replace Necropotence.
I also wrote an explanation why I use every single card in the deck, if you would wonder why some stuff are even in there. :D Also if you would decide to give some feedback aswell, I would appreaciate it :P
Anyway, about some cards I would probably replace here:
1) Ugin, the Ineffable - making colorless cards cheaper is definitely nice, but most cards here are already cheap enough with a decent mono-black ramp, which just make it less effective 6 drop. Making tokens into card draw when they die is alright, but again, black has tons of way to generate tokens and card draw (also less synergy with Ayara, since those tokens arent black). His permanent removal is a little bit better for mono-black decks, but since it takes 2 turns to use that ability again (and killing Ugin in process) is slow, cards like Meteor Golem would be probably much more effective as a permanent removal, since it just targets any permanent no matter the color AND is a creature, so sac Meteor Golem and reanimate later. Also, Feed the Swarm.
2) Cemetery Reaper - there is only 5 other Zombie creatures (if I dont count tokens from Grave Titan,Army of the Damned and Open the Graves). Even with some zombies on board, +1/+1 is pretty small buff and Cemetery Reaper is just slow token generator.
3) Beseech the Queen - even for , you are forced to reveal the tutored card, which makes it pretty bad tutor and in my personal opinion, one of the worst tutors in mono-black. As much as I love BtQ art, its a big no from me. Just for , there is budget Diabolic Tutor that wont make you reveal the card you tutored for. Or, a bit more expensive, but mana cheaper and great in token decks: Diabolic Intent. BsQ also limits you by the number of lands you control, so its less effective in the early game.
4) Caged Sun - I know how the mana doubling is nice, but since it costs to get out, then wait a turn to get value out of it might be slow. I think tutoring for Cabal Coffers/Cabal Stronghold might be just faster and more effective. Similar problem with Gauntlet of Power, even if it costs less, it affects lands of the chosen color your opponents control too, which just might lead to some ugly moments :D Probably something like Mirage Mirror would be a good replacement, so you can make an additional copy of Cabal Coffers. Another one could be Pawn of Ulamog, since you have plenty of creatures and those 0/1 Eldrazi tokens could help you with ramp.
Some more cards that could be nice:
1) Piper of the Swarm - cheap creature that buffs some of your other rats and can make rat tokens for cheap aswell, with mind control effect too. There are some really cool Ayara decks with rat tribal aswell.
2) Clackbridge Troll - I pretty like this card since I first saw it... its big ugly troll that does a lot of stuff, forcing your opponent to sac a creature to give you 3 life and 1 card, ooorrrr you the troll hits them! :D
3) Songs of the Damned/Bubbling Muck - both are pretty good to give you a lot of mana to cast a some big stuff during a single turn.
4) Malakir Rebirth Flip - this is definitely a cool card from the last set, giving either Ayara or any other creature important at the moment "protection" or just use it as a land if needed. With Vilis on board, it also draws you 2 cards for at instant speed.
2 months ago
In my potato opinion, you can cut few swamps without a problem with your ramp cards.
If you'll ever feel like playing against graveyard decks is annoying, Crypt Incursion/Suffer the Past would help. Both instant speed graveyard hate stamples that also gives you life -> triggering your Vito, Defiant Bloodlord, S.B and Blight-Priest.
Tribute to Hunger - cheap creature removal that also gives you life, but depends on opponent's board.
Instead of Rise of the Dark Realms you might consider running Agadeem's Awakening
Flip to reanimate your combo pieces for less mana cost. It can also be used as a land if needed. Another option could be Command the Dreadhorde, since life shouldnt be such a problem. Finale of Eternity is also an option, both as reanimate spell and removal. I personally feel like there isnt enough creatures in your deck to such massive and mana-expensive reanimator spells.
Call the Bloodline - if you ever feel like having not enough Vampires for Kicker cost of Blood Tribute. Its also decent to discard big creatures (to reanimate them later) and making a 1/1 to sacrifice.
Bastion of Remembrance - fits into aristocrat decks really well, since it gives you 1/1, has aristocrat ability and is an enchantment, so its a bit harder to remove than creature is.
Trading Post - This is more or less a personal card choice, but it gives you life, makes tokens, retrieves artifacts and even draws you a card. Not bad at all.
Thespian's Stage and Mirage Mirror can both copy your Cabal Coffers to ramp you like crazy.
Cabal Stronghold - cheaper version of Cabal Coffers that can tap for on its own.
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - a bit more expensive but can also ramp a lot in mono-color decks.
Lake of the Dead - almost as expensive as Cabal Coffers, but can also ramp you a lot. But is just a luxury.
Homeward Path - would be consider running if you would play against some mana-control decks.
Myriad Landscape - not the greatest, but works well in any mono-color deck outside of green (if not landfall decks). Easy way to get two swamps out of your deck, so less chances of top decking lands and also triggers your Dread Presence twice.
And as the grand finale, my favorite combo of my For the Void: Tortured Existence+Desecrated Tomb to instantly generate a 1/1 black Bat token with flying (as flying blockers, for example) just for . It requires only having a creature in your graveyard and another in your hand. Add Phyrexian Altar and you can activate it infinitely times, making any of your aristocrat cards lethal. Just watchout for Necropotence because it exiles whatever you discard, shutting the combo down.
I would most likely remove:
Platinum Angel - protects you from losing the game and opponents from winning the game, but doesnt really fit the deck that much. Cool card for sure.
Rise of the Dark Realms - is just really expensive reanimation card.
Night's Whisper - Its cheap, but sorcery speed, so thats up to you. Prism Ring - doesnt seems that worth it to me. Its cheaper than Staff of the Death Magus, but if you cant cast a lot of black spells each turn, I wouldnt bother with Prism Ring at all.
Cut/switch few basic Swamps for sure.
2 months ago
Friend of mine played this deck tonight & found the following questions:
Temple Bell - if your opponents are drawing enough cards (which they were in this case), don't need this. & Tinybones activations are a reasonable win condition.
Praetor's Grasp - I have been playing this wrong every time, as I thought it let you play as though it was mana of any color.
Cabal Stronghold might be worth playing when getting high enough.
Nihil Spellbomb - graveyard hate is a bit of a nonbo with Geth & other reanimation targets.
3 months ago
ANub1s90 Very nice deck. I just have a few suggestions listed below.
Last thing, mana base. Fetchlands are good for getting basics and increasing your chances of getting a non-land card. Nurturing Peatland is card draw in the late game, and you might want some "Man-Lands" such as Mutavault to keep the hits coming even when you are at the late game with no cards in hand. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is great with colourless lands as it turns them into swamps if needed. Another spicy thing you could try out is Cabal Stronghold, a modern-legal, slightly worse Cabal Coffers.
+1 from me.